82 yamaha xt 550, guru needed

let me start off by saying i am new to the forum, alot of great storys and great addvise. my problem right now is i have an 82 xt550 motor in an 85 honda 200x 3 wheeler frame, it runs and is scary, iv had a few problems i am currently working out i am looking for someone i can get help from regarding this motor. right now my biggest problem is im not getting my oil into the motor, i have an oil tank like a harley that was custom built under the seat of the 3 wheeler. i drained the oil and put the recomended 2.1 qts in and it isnt going into the motor from the tank. i thought it wasnt so i pulled the drain plug and am getting no oil in the motor. the oil is just sitting in the tank, any addvise? what am i doing wrong any help would be much appriciated. thank you.

the tank always did not send oil or suddenly happened?

There may be a plugged strainer in the oil tank or in line . Insure the tank is vented .

You could try blowing through the crank case vent tube and the oil in the tank should bubble .

Airlock in line? Dry sump engine uses an oil tank instead of oil pan. Two oil pumps: one pumps oil fed from tank under pressure all around engine. Other pump pumps oil from cases back into tank. So be sure that oil from tank is actually getting to engine by pulling line and checking. Then be sure to bleed air from oil filter. You can't drain the cases and drain the oil tank at the same time, as the tank oil has to get through the pump. You have to drain each separately.

ya last night i just let the oil sit in the tank and it drained into the motor, i think it was because i didnt bleed it through the screw in the top of the oil filter cover. i do drain them both separately as well, so today ill bleed that and get the rest of the oil in it,

@dt200lc last weekend i took it out for the first time, and before i went i changed the oil, and it sucked it right in to the motor from the tank, but i changed the oil filter as well. i have a line coming off the tank as a vent and that started spiting oil out it while riding, so i thought to connected the vent line off the tank to the bleeder hose out the top of the motor to ensure the oil is getting back into the motor and not just losing it? i havent done this yet, good idea?

thanks again guys alot of help already you guys are awsome.

ya last night i just let the oil sit in the tank and it drained into the motor, i think it was because i didnt bleed it through the screw in the top of the oil filter cover. i do drain them both separately as well, so today ill bleed that and get the rest of the oil in it,

@dt200lc last weekend i took it out for the first time, and before i went i changed the oil, and it sucked it right in to the motor from the tank, but i changed the oil filter as well. i have a line coming off the tank as a vent and that started spiting oil out it while riding, so i thought to connected the vent line off the tank to the bleeder hose out the top of the motor to ensure the oil is getting back into the motor and not just losing it? i havent done this yet, good idea?

thanks again guys alot of help already you guys are awsome.

Don't interconnect the vents. Both vents need to go to the clean side of the airfilters, so you don't suck dirt into the engine. The vent for the tank probably needs to be run fairly high so just fumes will come out, and liquid oil will stay in the tank.

ok i had it going to the big air hose that comes out of the motor on the left side directly behind the clutch cable puller. with an rc truck air filter and it seemed to do the job right so thats how it will probably go back, as long as i know i have oil in the motor, im not to worried i can figure out the breather hoses, just thought it was wrong because i had oil leaking from the bottom off the motor but it was because the bolts around the whole case where lose, any idea of torque specs?

Case half bolts (5mm allen or phillips or 10mm head) are 5 ft/lbs, or 7 newton-meters, whichever scale you like.

sweet thanks man, now i just need a bigger secondary main jet. the oil is all good and it is ready for the desert. well new seat and plastics too.