Sign in to follow this  

Airoh helmets

smacked my dome the other day so its time for a new lid. anyone ever heard of Airoh helmets? are they any good? Correct me if im wrong but i believe Antonio Cairoli wears them.

as do most euro riders. I pick up a normal helmet now and it feels like it's from the 50's. You will get one delivered to the states cheaper than a top shoei or arai helmet. You won't regret it if you have the cash!

What are the regulations for helmets in AMA sanctioned events? I thought these didn't have the right safety ratings for the US but I noticed Mike Alessi was wearing one or maybe it was just a sticker on a different helmet.

Yeah they are awesome helmets, even the entry level helmets are up to British Gold Standard so they are really good, and really comfortable to wear, and hold up good aswell :thumbsup:

What are the regulations for helmets in AMA sanctioned events? I thought these didn't have the right safety ratings for the US but I noticed Mike Alessi was wearing one or maybe it was just a sticker on a different helmet.

AMA rules allow a helmet that meets Snell, DOT, EU, or FIM standards. No issue there with regards to wearing these.

yes! they are very nice helmets, the top of the range ones weigh about 1000 grams, a bit pricey though

If you are in the US you don't have to pay the VAT tax. I got my Airoh Stelt Senior for $358 shipped from Germany. Took a month to get it, but it was worth the wait. Best helmet I've had. There's a different shell for every size. I think my medium came in at 950g (2.2lbs about). Considering what a top of the line Shoei costs and the fact that it still weighs 3 lbs., Airoh is a much better option imo.

Look for previous year models too, they will be a lot cheaper than the '11 stuff.

If you are in the US you don't have to pay the VAT tax. I got my Airoh Stelt Senior for $358 shipped from Germany. Took a month to get it, but it was worth the wait. Best helmet I've had. There's a different shell for every size. I think my medium came in at 950g (2.2lbs about). Considering what a top of the line Shoei costs and the fact that it still weighs 3 lbs., Airoh is a much better option imo.

Look for previous year models too, they will be a lot cheaper than the '11 stuff.

Helmet mfg.'s will make different spec for different countries sometimes. The shoei's sold with dot certs may be a lb heavier than a euro shoei.

Airoh seems like a good option I think they are ACU certified.

Helmet mfg.'s will make different spec for different countries sometimes. The shoei's sold with dot certs may be a lb heavier than a euro shoei.

Airoh seems like a good option I think they are ACU certified.

Correct. Euro helmets are built with shells that help disperse impact energy over a larger area of the helmet rather than point impacts which the American helmets are built for. And yep, Airoh is ECE 22.05 certified and ACU Gold stickered. The ECE 22.05 means it's street safe ACU Gold means its race safe essentially.

One thing: Before ordering the helmet measure your head like 10 times. It'd be ridiculous to return a helmet overseas for a replacement in a different size. It'd take forever.

Tim, what can you tell us about the fit of your medium? Is is comparable to any commonly available brands in the US? Round or oval fit?