Sign in to follow this  

Jetting advice '05 drz400sm

Hello everyone, I am a carb virgin, but i do have experience tuning fuel injected street cars. I recently picked up this bike in Phoenix and rode it 480 miles back to Albuquerque(people weren't kidding about the stock seat being a 2x4 :thumbsup: ). The PO had purchased it from another seller and did not know how the jetting was done, other than the gentleman he bought it from said it was jetted, and had lived in Las Vegas, altitude 2100ft. It seems to be rich now, which makes sense. exhaust smells like it, power is down more than expected, and response seems more sluggish.

Here are the bike essentials:

FCR39 MX carb

3x3 mod

K&N air filter

full Yoshimura RS-3, restrictor removed

Will be ridden mostly from 5,000-6,00 ft with the occasional jaunt up the mountain, that is about 11,000 ft

High desert climate.

Ridden as a commuter/weekend mountain attack vehicle

My question is fourfold:

1:How do i tell if this is a James Dean kit, and the sizes of the jets? The PO stated that there was a good chance it would be.

2: I found a video of a 37mm mx carb being re-jetted, is this carb similar, as i assume the carb needs removal, and jetting will be a similar affair.

3: To lessen spillage when i crack the bowl, would it be wise to remove the vaccum signal to the petcock as the engine runs until it dies from fuel starvation?

4: If it is a James Dean, would i be able to purchase individual jets, and what size should they be?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Edited by snailspool

I don't have a DRZ anymore, but when I did I purchased the JD kit. It came with two needles. Unlike the stock needle, the ones from JD had either red or blue paint on the end to distinguish which one it was. Removal of the Carb will not be necessary, but I always found it easier to do it when messing with jetting. If you loosen the boots, rotate the top of the carb and remove the slide you should be able to take the slide out and check the needle. The jD kit comes with PJ, 2 needles and MJ's and a chart. If it did have the kit installed it is too bad the spare parts didn't come with the bike.

Have fun. They are a great bike, only sold mine because it isn't that good at doing a supercross track. LOL

The bug

If teh needle is a standard Kehein needle, it will have letters stamped into it. If it is a JD needle, the top will be painted red or blue. Simple.

No need to pull the carb to rejet. The main and pilot come out once the bottom cap is removed. The needle can be removed after you take the seat, fuel tank and cap of the carb, then remove the 6mm allen plug on the slide.

Before you do any changes, find out what jets are in the carb. If you can, please post clear pictures of the carb right and left sides.

Looks like i was mistaken on the jetting kit. Letters indicate a Kehein, right

IMAG1035.jpg

Here is the pics of the carb:

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1033.jpg

Will the jets have numbers stamped on them to indicate what kind and size they are?

Edited by snailspool
wrong pics

Got my JD kit in. The jetting was 157MJ and 45PJ with a stock needle on 3rd from top but i lowered it to 2nd from top and it ran better. What are recommendations for the JD kit?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By SNORE125
      Anyone else have 130 main and 38 pilot jets already in the carb I took the wifes ttr 230 carb apart to add the bigger jets and this bike from 05 that I bought new already had them in it? I was reading that they came with a 125 main and a 36 pilot.
    • By Charles Joseph Miron
      Hello all.  Need a helping hand here..  
      I bought an older TT225 and am not about to spend almost $600 on a new carburetor for it. So I'm hoping someone can help me out with an idea of what (other than original carburetor) style, type and brand I should go with..  I'm also having a bit of trouble finding info on this bike.  It's a 1986 Yamaha TT225.  
      Thank you in advanced
      Charles
    • By Br0ck
      Hey guys, I went on vacation all summer and let my bike sit (2002 CR250). When I got back I ripped it apart and cleaned carburetor and put it back together and it started fine and ran alright, but idled really high. I adjusted the idle screw and realized it was a ridiculous amount of turns out. I can't remember exactly how many but id say 6+ turns out. My killswitch was a POS and didn't work anymore so I replaced it with an oem replacement. My last ride I crashed the bike pretty bad and I was off the bike for 2 weeks. I can't get the bike to start ever since I got installed the new killswitch. I think I wired it right I just replaced one wire at a time and it looked pretty straight forward. I verified it by testing spark while holding it in I was getting no spark but with it in running position it would spark. 
      Anyway I am just looking for some base settings for the Mikuni TMX to get my bike running again, my carburetor has a 35 Pilot and 380 Main jet which appear to be stock. I am located in Edmonton, AB, Canada which is about 2500ft and usually ride between 10-25 celcius.
      Thanks for any replies. 
    • By Goon Rides
      Hey guys... so I have a problem... I took the bike at Cal City, broke it in, and while I was doing so, the bike was bogging in first gear (Yes, first gear). Also it doesn't idle at all. I have to keep blipping it otherwise it'll stall. So I adjusted the screw circled in image 1. Well I was listening to the sound of the of the bike, yet the rpm's weren't increasing, and it was still stalling. So then, I unscrewed the screw in image 2, well I found out that it was fully twisted to the right. So then, I twisted it to the left, still nothing; it was still stalling... where's the idle screw? I am sure that the screw in image 1 is for the air/fuel mixture screw, and the screw in image 2 is the idle screw, just broken? I don't know, any and every help would be appreciated.

• By Zach7018
      So Ive decided its time to pull apart my favorite machine and freshen it up, and I'm looking to make some improvements in the process. I already have a 3x3 mod and a JD jet kit done and it seemed to have changed the world. The stock bike just plain sucked and now its a lot better. I never expect 450 race bike power here but I know there is a little more and I'm wondering if the juice is worth the squeeze. I already plan to add a header and exhaust, an FCR39 carb and stage 1 hotcams. After some research it really seems like those places are where the gains actually come from, so would it be worth it to throw a 434 big bore kit at this bike or just stick with what I already mentioned and a new stock bore top end??? Also my rides are often solo and pretty isolated,how much of a reliability headache can I expect with these mods?