Sign in to follow this  

Dust into the Left Cranckcase

Well I think I have a big problem, Yesterday I washed the bike for routine maintenance when removing the lid of the left case I found dust.

It 'has given the seal??

What should I do?

221743_193546380690462_100001053047920_533133_6415365_n.jpg

Dust in there isn't an issue, oil is.

Blow it out with compressed air, and throw a new seal on there.

IMO, pull the stator and see if you can see any type of oil seapage from the seal. Frankly, the seals on these things are so cheap, you might replace it anyway. Eric Gorr told me that if you find dust in the stator area, there is a good chance you have a blown seal because the dust flies around and blows the seals.

Ok thank you =)

exaclly.

Well I think I have a big problem, Yesterday I washed the bike for routine maintenance when removing the lid of the left case I found dust.

It 'has given the seal??

What should I do?

Your drive chain master link is on backwards. You might want to turn that thing around before you lose a chain. Closed end of the master link clip is supposed to point in the direction the chain goes.

the chain clip is on the correct direction.

Only if she is riding the motorcycle backwards. the closed end of the clip is supposed to be pointed in the direction that the drive chain flows. This bike has the open end pointed in the direction that the drive chain flows. It could catch on the chain guide and flip off.

NM, I was looking at the picture again and I was wrong, there is some dirt on the chain that fooled me. Upon closer inspection, the clip is on as I described above.

Only if she is riding the motorcycle backwards. the closed end of the clip is supposed to be pointed in the direction that the drive chain flows. This bike has the open end pointed in the direction that the drive chain flows. It could catch on the chain guide and flip off.

NM, I was looking at the picture again and I was wrong, there is some dirt on the chain that fooled me. Upon closer inspection, the clip is on as I described above.

what are you talking about? im pretty sure its the right direction. i can clearly see the open side is at the direction to the rear wheel. zoom in on your browser

Sorry, I qualified my statement. I should have just deleted the post.

To keep this from happening I also put a little bit of Marine Grease over the rubber gasket. Almost like the same concept as what grease would do if you use it for your air filter lip. Traps dust before it gets into places it shouldn't be.

It 'has given the seal??

What should I do?

If you look at about the 2 o'clock position it looks like it has a breather area on the case. Some bikes have these at the lowest position to allow any condensation build up to drain out. A little dust is okay, but to much moisture is bad (Rust). If that is indeed a breather area, try running a chain guide/guard around the front sprocket. It may lessen the dust.

Chain clip is on correctly.