Sign in to follow this  

Something fell out........

Hi Guys,

When I removed the right hand crankcase cover on my KX100, a sort of spacer and bolt fell out. The bolt isn't like a normal bolt, and there seems to be no way of tightening or fixing it, but it just sits in place.

I can take pictures if it helps to explain?

Anyway, is it normal for this piece to fall out?

Thanks and ATB

James

BTW, the bike was made in 1997

A pic would help....I would not think that it normal for a bolt to just fall out. What was wrong or what were you doing that needed the case off?

one of the alignment pins? most bikes have a couple of them on case covers and cases

A pic would help....I would not think that it normal for a bolt to just fall out. What was wrong or what were you doing that needed the case off?

I will get a picture up later.....

I took the case off because the gasket was leaking oil......I still need to fit a new gasket.

Thanks and ATB

one of the alignment pins? most bikes have a couple of them on case covers and cases

Possibly, I'll get a photo up to show you.....!

Thanks

Here are some pictures of the bit which fell out :

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

They fell out of the center of the clutch springs it seems....

I put them back on the bike and they don't seem tighten or screw on, just sort of stay in place. Is it normal for them to fall out/off?

Thanks and ATB

The bit that you referred to as a bolt...is the clutch pusher. The other piece should have a bearing in it. There should be a washer that sits between that and the pusher.

yeah that's part of the clutch, you need those parts, there should be a washer too

part numbers are..

13091a

yeah that's part of the clutch, you need those parts, there should be a washer too

part numbers are..

13091a

The bit that you referred to as a bolt...is the clutch pusher. The other piece should have a bearing in it. There should be a washer that sits between that and the pusher.

Thanks both! I haven't seen a washer of any sort!!!

Does anyone have a picture of what the washer should look like?

If the washer was missing, would that explain why the clutch wasn't working very well? (http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976807&highlight=)

Thanks and ATB

Looks like a normal washer. More of a shim/spacer really. I would look really hard for it. It would not be nice if it got intimate with other rotating parts. Measurements are 7mm I/d x 12.5 o/d x 0.8 thick.

Looks like a normal washer. More of a shim/spacer really. I would look really hard for it. It would not be nice if it got intimate with other rotating parts. Measurements are 7mm I/d x 12.5 o/d x 0.8 thick.

I'll have a real good look for it, but I am quite confident there wasn't one......

Do you know what would happen if there wasn't a washer?

Thanks and ATB

James

Stops the shoulder of the pusher running against the bearing and spaces it against the lever.

Stops the shoulder of the pusher running against the bearing and spaces it against the lever.

So would that cause the clutch not to work?

Thanks and ATB

It will still work, maybe not as well...but put it back together the way it is supposed to be.

it'll affect the clutch throw, you would have a lot of slack in the cable

just go to any OEM parts website, I use service honda, and look up the clutch for your bike, it has pictures of the parts and where they go

it'll affect the clutch throw, you would have a lot of slack in the cable

just go to any OEM parts website, I use service honda, and look up the clutch for your bike, it has pictures of the parts and where they go

There didn't seem to be much slack in the cable, if any!

Sounds like the bike did have the washer then........

Thanks and ATB

Couldn't find the washer anywhere, looks like I will have to get a new one!

If the washer was missing, would it cause the following to happen :

Hi Guys!

I have a problem with my 1997 KX100's Clutch. When I pull in the clutch handle there is no freeplay and it is nice and resistance, it also seems to pull the clutch lever (or whatever it is called) on the right handside of the crankcase fully.

But the problem is this :

If I come to a stop in any gear with the clutch handle pulled in, the bike will stall because it is in gear even with the clutch pulled in! The clutch does make a slight difference, but not enough and just causes it too stall. It seems like the clutch isn't working fully.

The actual cable seems ok judging from the resistance and there is no freeplay, and it also seems to move the clutch lever.

What could be causing the problem? Could it need new clutch plates?

Thanks and ATB

James

Well...I know MegaD suggested that there may be a lot of free play at the lever...but if you can take all the free play out at the perch, this may not be the case. He is quite correct in saying that it will alter clutch throw. This could cause the above problem as the operating lever loses its 'cam' effect during rotation.

Well...I know MegaD suggested that there may be a lot of free play at the lever...but if you can take all the free play out at the perch, this may not be the case. He is quite correct in saying that it will alter clutch throw. This could cause the above problem as the operating lever loses its 'cam' effect during rotation.

Thanks a lot dgcars! You are being very helpful and I really appreciate it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If the 'perch' (I don't know what that means sorry) is the Mid-Cable Adjuster, then that was screwed out very far (quite close too as far as possible)!

Thanks and ATB

James

I have taken the clutch apart and I have also found that the 'thrust washer' was missing! :thumbsup:

Whoever put this bike back together obviously didn't like using washers! :thumbsup:

Would this effect the clutch also?

I haven't measured anything yet to see if it needs replacing, I will though - I just ran down to the house to order a new thrust washer!

Thanks and ATB!