Very worrying!

I have just completed a full rebuild on my XR 250 R and I kicked it over to make sure the timing was correct, once the enigine was up to heat I check the oil level (I had already put 1.7 litres in) and there was no oil on the dip stick.

I put the remainder of the bottle into the frame (I am now up to 2 litres of oil!) and after idleing the bike for 90secs or so I checked the dipstick again and it only just barley put a dot on the end of the dip stick.

I am very dubious about putting any more oil in.

Can anyone help?

Oh and there are no leaks I left it overnight with a white sheet underneath.

If you added the proper amount of oil how long did you leave it idle to get "up to heat"? I know with my 2003 XR250R it takes on average 10 minutes. Sometimes a couple minutes more if it is cold out just to get an accurate reading. Even 2 minutes makes a big difference. Alot of owners make the mistake of thinking their big is warm enough to get an accurate reading after a couple of minutes of idling.

When I put the 1.7 of oil in after the rebuild I would say it was running for 3-4 mins before I checked it, it smelt hot and I really diddn't want to let it run for too long if it was low on oil.

The second time was about 90 secs. I am sure that 2 litres is more than enough even after an engine rebuild, maybe it is worth taking it around the block a couple of times and re-checking...

+1

You have to ride the bike, get it up to full operating temp, then let it set idling for 5 minutes. Then kill the engine and immediately check the level.

A lot of people keep adding oil over what is recommended and they end up over filling it. Technically, you've already overfilled it at 2 liters. So if you're not seeing a proper level, you're not checking it right, or your oil pump isn't operating properly, or your oil filter is in backwards.

I have a genuine Honda filter which has a directional arrow to show you how to insert it so I don't think it will be the filter.

I really hope that it is not the oil pump because I have just has the engine in bits and I can't really be bothered to start stripping it down again...

I will take it for a little pootle this evening and let it idle for 5 mins after the ride and hopefully have a very high oil reading when I check the dipstick.

P.s. if (as I assume it will be) the oil level is very high is there a chance that it will start blowing oil seals or will it simply eek out into the breather pipes and make a mess on the garage floor?

You "might" get some blowby out the crankcase breather. 1.7 ltr. is amount to be replaced at disassembly. So you've overfilled it by .3 ltr. Just ride it and see how it does. If after you find it does show high on the dipstick and you want to remove some, before you let the bike sit long after shutting it down, stick a long tube down the dipstick hole and suck some out.

My XR400 takes 1.9 qts at oil and filter change, but I routinely dump a full 2 qts in it with no ill effects.

Do not go ride and then let it sit idling for 5 minutes. Do you want to overheat it.

If you ride it around for a while it will pump all the oil up into the frame from the bottom of the motor. Letting it sit and idle only lets the motor get hot.

ride it, stop, take off your helmet and check the oil. This will give it all the time it needs to settle.

Sitting around idleing only allows it to get hot, not the best thing on a fresh motor.

first off bro your not checking the oil with the bike running are you? oil is cycling thru the engine while running which would explain your problem

Do not go ride and then let it sit idling for 5 minutes. Do you want to overheat it.

If you ride it around for a while it will pump all the oil up into the frame from the bottom of the motor. Letting it sit and idle only lets the motor get hot.

ride it, stop, take off your helmet and check the oil. This will give it all the time it needs to settle.

This advice is wrong for the XR. You do not give the oil time to settle, as it will drain out of the frame tube where the measurement is taken from and settle back into the engine.

And it's not going to overheat idling for 5 minutes while the level stabilizes in the frame tube.

Well I bit the bullet and took the bike for a gentle ride to work, loads of oil on the dipstick now so I guess that it just needed a little run to get all of the oil flowing around.

I have now discovered that my main oil feed pipe is wheeping which means oil back out so I can re-tap/heli-coil the problem thread...oh happy days :thumbsup:

Thanks for all of the advice, I am really looking forward to getting 100km or so on the engine so I can dump the oil and go and play :thumbsup:

I only said to let it settle for the time it takes to take off your helmet.

This allows any air bubbles or foam to disipate. 30 seconds max.

Letting a fresh tight air cooled motor idle for 5 minutes is not the best. You need to ride it easily for 3 heat cycles of 10-15 minutes and let it cool in between. This will keep the extra friction of a fresh tight motor from creating hot spots.

I only said to let it settle for the time it takes to take off your helmet.

This allows any air bubbles or foam to disipate. 30 seconds max.

Letting a fresh tight air cooled motor idle for 5 minutes is not the best. You need to ride it easily for 3 heat cycles of 10-15 minutes and let it cool in between. This will keep the extra friction of a fresh tight motor from creating hot spots.

I understand your heat logic/concern, which wouldn't be any concern at all except for James' paranoia that he doesn't show a level on his stick, despite knowing that he dumped the right amount of oil back into it. Usually, knowing that, you wouldn't need to be concerned about checking oil level during the break-in rides.

And I think even 30 seconds is too long to let the bike set after shutting it off before checking the level.

Well after some more issues with the clutch side casing I have now done about 100km and I am going to dump the oil shortly and put the good stuff in before heading off-road. I am not sure if anyone else has had as may issues with the crank casing as me but I am now up to 6 heli-coils in the damn thing. Did Honda have a period of tapping all threads into cheese?!?