ktm 300 mxc jetting and gas usage

Ive been having trouble getting my 01 300 mxc jetted right. i finally got it running really smooth but it still seems to smoke a lot on acceleration and also uses a lot more gas than i think it should. does anyone know wat to do. ?

o and by the way the the top end is completely new. Brand new cylinder jug wiseco piston and rings.

well the jetting is a product of the needle, the CEK and R1466n are good ones to use. The next thing is the float level, most are too high on a KTM and this makes it rich off idle and uses too much gas. Then gearing, fresh reeds, PV clean. The last since you said it was smoking is the right side main seal may be going bad. Watch the trans oil level.

I adjusted the float once already because the carb was overflowing..should i adjust it again? and were can i find those needles?

CEK, Sudco, R1466N, Honda. A #7 slide helps too.

The R1466n is also a KX needle and lists for about $20, yes #7 helps, I forgot that but they are more in the $75 range. If you can lean the bike over to about a 45* angle before the gas comes out then it is about right, definitely should not run out if only leaned over as far as on the side stand.

Its funny you mention main seals. I have noticed a lot of bottom end noise latley. Wen I pull the clutch in it quiets down a lot. I think its main bearings going bad. Wat do you think?

Its funny you mention main seals. I have noticed a lot of bottom end noise latley. Wen I pull the clutch in it quiets down a lot. I think its main bearings going bad. Wat do you think?

Could also be worn clutch basket fingers, and the plates are chattering around more than usual.

that is common KTM clutch noise and means nothing, the clutch out and loud, clutch in and more quiet, all of mine have always done this onjce broken in.

another question mike...If I have a 175 main jet and the needle is at 1st clip position, and is a bit rich around 75 degrees Fahrenheit should i go to a 172 main and start the needle at the 2nd or 3rd position?