2011 crf - chain rubs on tire

Picked up a new 2011 Honda. I noticed the other day the chain has eaten through the rear mud guard and the knobbies on the lest side of the tire. What could be causing this? I adjusted the chain and the adjusters seem to be aligned right.

Did you measure out your alignment center of swing arm pivot to center of axle or use the alignment marks (can be way off)? What size tire is installed in the rear? Is your rim offset improperly in relation to the hub from improper spoke tightening (I don't know the spec on that)? These seethe only real possible causes for such an issue.

Make sure your chain isn't so wide as to be rubbing on your cases too if you happened to have installed an O-Ring chain from what if read on this board.

Loose chain + 120 tire = torn side knobbies.

The chain was adjusted to the right tension. Its a brand new 2011. I guess Ill have to measure it out and see whats going on here.

Like Cam said, its the 120 tire. Even if the chain is within spec, there is still a little side to side movement in the chain and with a wide tire like that it will hit the tire occasionally. When you go to replace the tire, you can put a 110 on there and it will go away or be drastically reduced.

Also a brand new stock chain stretches really quick. Gotta keep it just right or it will rub.

a 120 is considered a wide tire? i know it's bigger than stock but jeeze, it sure seems like you should be able to run 10 mm bigger. maybe switch to the narrower vt chain.

I had same deal on my 2011, Go with the 110 for sure and an O-ring chain seems to have less side to site movement. I also took the rear mud guard off and trimmed it a bit to give it a cleaner look. Its a honda issue, they build them "so good" with very tight tolerances!

I had the same problem on my 2009 CRF450R and chewed up several tires and mud flaps. I was crazy on adjusting the chain and I still had problems...strange how some have issues while others do not. In any event, I installed an Epic Motorsports chain guard, all TM Design Works stuff (slider, block, and rollers) and an RK MXU o-ring chain (real slim for an o-ring chain) and I can run a 120 with no issues at all and run my chain slightly looser than before when I was chewing up tires. I think the chain guard alone would have worked. Good luck.

IMG_0076_1.jpg

IMG_0010_1.jpg

Loose chain + 120 tire = torn side knobbies.

chain is to loose.

I had same deal on my 2011, Go with the 110 for sure and an O-ring chain seems to have less side to site movement. I also took the rear mud guard off and trimmed it a bit to give it a cleaner look. Its a honda issue, they build them "so good" with very tight tolerances!

lol, you should try eating baked honda sh*t. it tastes real good too:thumbsup:

Its the chain+120 tire. Knobbies were ripping on mine and my buddys NEW '09s the 1st ride. My chain would strecth every ride. After about 15 hrs, you could grab the chain with each hand and with the slop in the links the chain would move about 1/8"

I went with a VT2 X ring and a 110 rear tire. 10 hrs so far and tire is still new. I only adjusted after the 1st ride. Since then the chain has stayed put :thumbsup:

a 120 is considered a wide tire? i know it's bigger than stock but jeeze, it sure seems like you should be able to run 10 mm bigger. maybe switch to the narrower vt chain.

120 is stock tire on '09 and up

I have an 11 and it rubs as well. Even with adjustment it will rub slightly. But a little rub doesn't hurt. If it starts tearing knobbies bad then you have it to loose.

hey cthowards can you post some bigger pics up?

Here you go. You will notice that the the EPIC chain guide has some material removed. That's because the chain was rubbing it slightly in the back corner of the chain guide so I had some material machined off of it so that the chain rolls nice and smooth. I run an MX51 120/80-19 rear tire and have had no rubbing at all but after 12 hours I can see where there are some rub marks on the chain block so it is definetly working.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Here you go. You will notice that the the EPIC chain guide has some material removed. That's because the chain was rubbing it slightly in the back corner of the chain guide so I had some material machined off of it so that the chain rolls nice and smooth. I run an MX51 120/80-19 rear tire and have had no rubbing at all but after 12 hours I can see where there are some rub marks on the chain block so it is definetly working.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

What foot pegs are those and how much?

What foot pegs are those and how much?

They look like Fastways....

fastway for sure