Does anyone else have to ride with thumb throttles?

Does anyone else out there have to ride with thumb throttles? I have carpal tunnel in my wrist, and it acts up really badly if I use twist throttles, to the point where it gets too painful to open up the gas. I have to use thumb throttles, which fortunately haven't been causing any problems it seems.

I've heard it the other way around before, some ATV guys would switch to twist throttles to help alleviate arm pump.

I have 2 and 4 wheelers all have twist throttle. Thumb throttles arent the best for long rides IMO

Does anyone else out there have to ride with thumb throttles? I have carpal tunnel in my wrist, and it acts up really badly if I use twist throttles, to the point where it gets too painful to open up the gas. I have to use thumb throttles, which fortunately haven't been causing any problems it seems.

I have one laying around from a Suzuki LTZ250, I think, if your looking for one. If you want to try and make it work let me know.

i have CT in my hands as well{20+years of carpentry}and used to ride quads and 3wheelers,i ve found that the twist throttle is way easier on my hands,wrists,and arm pump isnt so bad if you grip the bike more with your legs as your supposed to be doing anyway

^^^I'm not looking for one right now, I don't have any bikes right now (sold them all, cause I switched over to trail riding- track is $$ I don't have lol).

^^Yeah, basically there's nothing wrong with my hand, it's just my wrist.

^You should know better than to sit on the bike with 3 wheelers ?

It's not that I CAN'T ride a twist throttle, but it gets extremely painful after a few minutes, and it's not from just arm pump. If anything involves lots of wrist movement, it gets extremely painful after only a couple of minutes. Thumb throttles don't seem to affect me, I can go all day with nothing more than the usual riders thumb at the end of a long day.

i know for quads some company has a duel throttle set up,its a twist throttle and a thumb throttle for endurance rides you can switch back and forth,dont remember who makes it mabey someone else here does???

Moose racing makes one

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=336822

I know that the YZ throttle fit on my YFZ450 so maybe the same would be true in reverse.

I've heard it the other way around before, some ATV guys would switch to twist throttles to help alleviate arm pump.
i switched. when taking hard right handers, it was hard to keep my thumb on the throttle, AND maintain a solid grip, while hanging off the right side.

It's not that I CAN'T ride a twist throttle, but it gets extremely painful after a few minutes, and it's not from just arm pump. If anything involves lots of wrist movement, it gets extremely painful after only a couple of minutes. Thumb throttles don't seem to affect me, I can go all day with nothing more than the usual riders thumb at the end of a long day.

perhaps a quick-turn, or 1/4 throttle mod?

might be a bit more twitchy, depending on what it is. but there would be a lot less wrist movement.

Yep, I got that too, does help out a lot, but unfortunately I think the damage is done... Working on bikes and cars constantly probably doesn't help either... ?:thumbsup:

Have you seen a doctor? Wear a brace at night?

I didn't know mine was so bad. Some pain and discomfort but apparently i've had it for a while. Surgery is the cure. Otherwise you will continue to do nerve damage. Had mine snipped last Thurs. I'll do the same on the left hand(not as bad) if i can't get it under control.

Nothing wrong with a thumb throttle if it suits you. Riding an ATV it does have some advantages but i'd hate it on a dirt bike. Wrapping you thumb around anything is the strongest way to hold on! A thumb throttle forces you to do all the work with just your fingers.

One time there was a guy in my class that had a thumb throttle on his CRF450R ....He raced both ATV and bikes.....I asked him how he raced MX on a bike with a thumb throttle.....He said he got use to it on the ATV and thought he would put it on the bike too......So I guess a person a ride a bike with a thumb throttle....?

I didn't know mine was so bad. Some pain and discomfort but apparently i've had it for a while. Surgery is the cure. Otherwise you will continue to do nerve damage. Had mine snipped last Thurs. I'll do the same on the left hand(not as bad) if i can't get it under control.

Nothing wrong with a thumb throttle if it suits you. Riding an ATV it does have some advantages but i'd hate it on a dirt bike. Wrapping you thumb around anything is the strongest way to hold on! A thumb throttle forces you to do all the work with just your fingers.

i wear a brace when i sleep and that helps tons, if you have it real bad wear the brace when ever you can it will definately help,my aunt had the operation and hers still bothers her so im not sure that surgery is the answer but good luck to those who ve had it

Yeah, I wear a brace at night..

I don't have a problem haulin arse over whoops or jumps with a thumb throttle, it's one of those "You get used to it." kind of dealios...

perhaps a quick-turn, or 1/4 throttle mod?

might be a bit more twitchy, depending on what it is. but there would be a lot less wrist movement.

I have tried a 1/4 turn throttle before, but it didn't make much of a difference, other than make the throttle snappier. Like a flatslide carb, or bearing supported slide/throttle.