Dual sport?

so i want a dual sport.. (OREGON)

i called highway patrol. dmv and ktm shops..

the most confident answer i got was..

thos days are over...

exc cant be plated unless it already is..

then he said even if its already plated, they might take the plates away when you go to register it...

i can't afford to buy a bike then find out i cant use it on the roads..

grrrrr

so i want a dual sport.. (OREGON)

i called highway patrol. dmv and ktm shops..

the most confident answer i got was..

thos days are over...

exc cant be plated unless it already is..

then he said even if its already plated, they might take the plates away when you go to register it...

i can't afford to buy a bike then find out i cant use it on the roads..

grrrrr

Just like Kalifornistan! Exc's are 50-state street legal from '07 to present. Thats why I bought one!

Just like Kalifornistan! Exc's are 50-state street legal from '07 to present. Thats why I bought one!

ya? they sound like amazing bikes..

was looking at an 04' exc but sounds like it would be at risk of losing its plates..

07' or newer.. thanks for that info!

good bike for beginning novice?

i don't race at all. only hada 200cc Roketa for one season.

but im a strong mt. bike/bike trials rider

230lbs

other options drz 400s or wr250x

WR250X are great bikes and are 75/25% road. DRZ is more of 50/50 but still a great bike. Husk, KTM or TM are 90/10 and you know it when on a long ride. Best beginners bike would be in the 300-350 range. Your selection is 1 or buy a 250 and add a 280-310 kit. At your weight any of the 250cc bikes would work but don't expect 4 gear wheelies. 450+cc become tiring fighting the torque/power from the motor on tight stuff. More forgiving on the road and 4 gear wheelies.

What is your budget? What kind of road to off-road mix are you looking at? As Stated above, the '07 and up KTM EXCs are 50-state legal. You will not have an issue getting and keeping a plate with those. Same goes for '06 and up Husqvarna TEs. The DRZ 400S has been 50-state legal since it came out in the late '90s. With your size and bicycle experience, I'd think the 250s that are out there would be underwhelming for you.

ya? they sound like amazing bikes..

was looking at an 04' exc but sounds like it would be at risk of losing its plates..

07' or newer.. thanks for that info!

good bike for beginning novice?

i don't race at all. only hada 200cc Roketa for one season.

but im a strong mt. bike/bike trials rider

230lbs

other options drz 400s or wr250x

Well, An EXC may not be the best bike for a beginner. Not to say you couldn't grow into it but you have to remember it has a race engine in it. This means more maintenance per mile. It also depends on how much of a percentage of street miles you want to do. Exc's would be more in the range of 90% dirt and 10% street. In my opinion, any other dualsports become less in the percentage of dirt and more towards street.

A drz 400 or wr250might be a better "starter" bike for you. They can do more street miles and less maintenance per mile.

Find a nice used kawie klx 250, preferrably one that the PO has already uncorked and rejetted. @180, mine is still a bit sluggish, but in a way that's fun to ride because you can pin it coming out of a corner, and it will spin sand slide a bit, but not so much as to shoot you into a tree.

After a while if you need more juice, throw a 351 kit at it.

My dealer says water plus fuel pump, ala WR250-R, = new fuel pump. I not so gracefully got my KLX real wet this past week in a stream at Eglin. Drained the carbie on the KLX, hit the Shorai powered starter, rode off.

Find a nice used kawie klx 250, preferrably one that the PO has already uncorked and rejetted. @180, mine is still a bit sluggish, but in a way that's fun to ride because you can pin it coming out of a corner, and it will spin sand slide a bit, but not so much as to shoot you into a tree.

After a while if you need more juice, throw a 351 kit at it.

My dealer says water plus fuel pump, ala WR250-R, = new fuel pump. I not so gracefully got my KLX real wet this past week in a stream at Eglin. Drained the carbie on the KLX, hit the Shorai powered starter, rode off.

With any bike you should seal all connectors with electrical grease. This will prevent water getting into and causing problems. If this is a worry issue think about the water going into the air box or muffler. EFI's are reliable and should not be problem some when set-up steps are taken. I dropped my EFI bike in water and it sputtered but dried up quickly and was fine. Now all my connections are grease sealed and haven't had any issues. For the benifets of EFI I would not pass on just be wise of possible water drops

Edited by weantright

What is your budget? What kind of road to off-road mix are you looking at? As Stated above, the '07 and up KTM EXCs are 50-state legal. You will not have an issue getting and keeping a plate with those. Same goes for '06 and up Husqvarna TEs. The DRZ 400S has been 50-state legal since it came out in the late '90s. With your size and bicycle experience, I'd think the 250s that are out there would be underwhelming for you.

budget- $5k

road mix: 80% dirt 20% road.

i want to cruise into town for lunch/errands, and go aggressive exploring in the hills. hit natural jumps. hill climbs, fire roads. learn to pop some wheelies..

i went to the ktm dealership today and looked at the Exc's.. Much larger bikes then i expected! but i am 230lbs. and i hear the power is manageable..

this is the one im looking at.. i can get it for just under 5k

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/2346185127.html

budget- $5k

road mix: 80% dirt 20% road.

i want to cruise into town for lunch/errands, and go aggressive exploring in the hills. hit natural jumps. hill climbs, fire roads. learn to pop some wheelies..

i went to the ktm dealership today and looked at the Exc's.. Much larger bikes then i expected! but i am 230lbs. and i hear the power is manageable..

this is the one im looking at.. i can get it for just under 5k

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/2346185127.html

If you can get that for $5k, jump on it. Those are great bikes and he's got it set-up pretty damn good. The mileage/hours are a tad high, but it sounds like easy dualsport hours, so it shouldn't be an issue. The 1 issue is the lowered suspension, but as you get used to the bike and a little more skilled with riding, that can be fixed easy enough.

If you can get that for $5k, jump on it. Those are great bikes and he's got it set-up pretty damn good. The mileage/hours are a tad high, but it sounds like easy dualsport hours, so it shouldn't be an issue. The 1 issue is the lowered suspension, but as you get used to the bike and a little more skilled with riding, that can be fixed easy enough.

what kind of mileage/hours can you put on a bike like this before major repairs are common?

what kind of mileage/hours can you put on a bike like this before major repairs are common?

Completely arbitrary depending on riding style/conditions. Easily ridden, that bike can get hundreds of hours before a set of rings is needed. Beat like a rented mule, a complete rebuild could be needed in less than 200

Its not as more street bike than dirt, but with a great set of off road tires I guarantee this thing would work great. BMW F650GS or F800GS. I LOVE MINE!!!! Its so light and easy to whip around for a street bike. While you can't do much jumping with it, trails are no problem. Plus it can get 60mpg cruising down the interstate. 30,000 miles, and zero problems. Whats not to love?

At 230 I would have the suspension re-sprung re-valved and the lowering corrected immediately. I am a big guy (just ask around) and I would recommend it OVER EVERY OTHER MOD. it will make a ton of difference on the type of riding you describe ESP jumps.

Its not as more street bike than dirt, but with a great set of off road tires I guarantee this thing would work great. BMW F650GS or F800GS. I LOVE MINE!!!! Its so light and easy to whip around for a street bike. While you can't do much jumping with it, trails are no problem. Plus it can get 60mpg cruising down the interstate. 30,000 miles, and zero problems. Whats not to love?

OP is looking for 80% dirt. BMW doesn't make anything that fits,, 450 year or so ago and I would not reccomend one.

At 5K you have alot of bikes to choose from, new and used. KTM would fit the bill just don't over look the others.