Sign in to follow this  

Which year 450R 02-08 has the best fork??

Just as the title reads, which 450R 2002-2008 has the best fork?? Either off the floor or reworked, I dont care. What year fork is the best to start with?? Is there that much difference?

:thumbsup::ride:

From 04 to 08 it was essentially the same fork. There were some minor diff. from 03-04 and the 02 has a smaller mid valve 18 vs. a 20mm but literally from 05-08 exactly the same fork. Honda talked about valving changes but it was literally a single shim here or there.

From 04 to 08 it was essentially the same fork. There were some minor diff. from 03-04 and the 02 has a smaller mid valve 18 vs. a 20mm but literally from 05-08 exactly the same fork. Honda talked about valving changes but it was literally a single shim here or there.

Thanks for your reply Shawn.

Would it be worth it for me to buy a set of 05-08 forks to put on my 2002? can my 2002 forks be set up to work as well as a set of 05-08 forks?? Again, thanks for your help!

Just as the title reads, which 450R 2002-2008 has the best fork?? Either off the floor or reworked, I dont care. What year fork is the best to start with?? Is there that much difference?

:thumbsup::ride:

i just worked on a set of 08's today. the ics spring seat has an o-ring/sealing band and they are prone to wear out. had to order some parts today. also, the mid-valve area on the 08's is different. i prefer to tune the earlier styles, but you can definately work with the 08's.

depending on the application of what you like to ride. the 02's are good. we've done some really good enduro tunes for them. the later models are more common. i've got 05's on my 02 450r. some models had the sub-valve below the base valve. mine don't.

i took off my forks today and gave them to my friend so he could ride tomorrow. his parts for the 08's should be here this weekend. gotta love honda; the forks bolted right up!

05-08 are not the same forks. The 05 is longer due to a 20" wheel option. O6-07 are similar, Then 08 has some different internal parts.

06-07 is generally best starting point.

Would it be worth it for me to buy a set of 05-08 forks to put on my 2002? can my 2002 forks be set up to work as well as a set of 05-08 forks??

Im racing Vet motocross in the Novice class getting ready to move up to intermediate.

Would it be worth it for me to buy a set of 05-08 forks to put on my 2002? can my 2002 forks be set up to work as well as a set of 05-08 forks??

Im racing Vet motocross in the Novice class getting ready to move up to intermediate.

you could do just fine by tuning those 02's. but, i would look for 04-07 r forks if you want to change them. there really isn't much inside that's different between those years. the main difference is the piston size from the 02's. depending on your weight, you may be able to use the stock .47kg springs. the pressure springs remained 2.1 for most of the run. are you nor/so cal?

there is an add on craigslist in sacramento, and the guy is selling several 05 pairs of forks.

04 they changed the caliper mounting bracket on the forks. FYI. caliper works, you need to swap brackets.

from what i have read that the 06 fork was the best but 05-07 r pretty much the same . In 08 honda did run The 2mm-shorter fork stanchions

The short answer is yes. The later fork with the bigger piston is easier to tune and does a better job.

05-08 is what you're looking for.

The short answer is yes. The later fork with the bigger piston is easier to tune and does a better job.

05-08 is what you're looking for.

Thanks Shawn! I assume I would need to get a 05-08 front caliper as well...