Sign in to follow this  

Rim lock causing front tire wobbles?

I have been having bad front wheel wobbles on my 94' xr650L above 60mph. It is better than it was since I changed the tube with Slime for a tube without but it still has it some. I'm going to be changing out the front DOT knobby for a 90/90-21 (54S) Bridgestone TW41. I was thinking that maybe I should also leave the rim lock out in the front since I ride this bike 70% on dirt roads and highways instead of trails. (I have a crf450r for fun trail riding.) But I do like the 650 for trails as long as they aen't too twisty. Anyway, will taking out the rim lock and just not let tire go below 17 psi (for trails) further help get rid of the wobbles? (I have a fork brace already.)

Any advice on this subject would really help. Like, what is the lowest psi you can go in the front without a rim lock?

Have you tried balancing the tire? Regardless of whether or not there is a rim lock in the tire, that would be my first step. I get all of my tires balanced when they're installed, regardless of where I plan to use them

+1 on balancing the wheels/tire assemblies.:thumbsup:

I even balance the tires on MX bikes. Makes a huge difference in the wobbles as would be expected when doing dual sport runs on my 680, and it makes almost as much of a positive impact when jumping my MX bike.

I know you balance street bike wheels. But won't the weights fly off as soon as you hit the trail? I never heard of balancing mx wheels. would you have to have it done and a motorcycle shop or would a tire place be able to do it?

just run two rimlocks opposite eacch other

How would you balance MX wheels when the mud that gets stuck on them weighs more than the balancing weights?

What tire are you running right now?

I'm running some DOT knobby (sorry too lazy to look but it doesn't matter) It's really aggressive at least a 90/10 tire. It's going on the crf. It seems like everyone is big on keeping the rim lock. So, when the TW41 gets here, I'll use the rim lock and see what happens. Again: do really just use stick on weights for balancing like in that video on a offroad wheel? Isn't two rim locks huge overkill on a front wheel?

Get the weights which fit around a spoke. They're cylindrical with a lengthwise cut up one side so that the weight can slide over a spoke and then get crimped into place.

Weigh your rim lock, and as a starting point try an equal weight of lead on the opposit side of the wheel.

How would you balance MX wheels when the mud that gets stuck on them weighs more than the balancing weights?

Same way you balance any other wheel works for an MX bike. I don't use the crimp around the spoke weights on my wheels, but use the stick on weights for aluminum wheels. Figure out the weight you need, break the appropriate length off the strip, make sure the wheel is clean, peel off the backing, and stick 'em on. They are low profile, they don't build up with anything, and they don't come off. Most m/c shops that balance wheels will have these weights in 1/4 oz increment strips compared to tire shops for cars/trucks that have strips in 1/2 oz increments (or larger).

As is mentioned in other posts, the easiest thing to do sans a balancer is to weigh your rim lock and then stick a similar amount of weight 180 degrees away from the rim lock. In a pinch, I'd just stick 8 oz of weight opposite the rim lock and ride.

What im saying is they will come out of balance as soon as some mud gets stuck to the rim.

What kind of mud do they have in VA?

Same as in Delaware.

The only place it collects that speed will not eliminate it is under the fenders and in the engine area. The wheels will loose almost all of it once you hit 40 or 50. Unless you let the mud dry of course.

Im only talking about MX. For dual sport obviously it is worth balancing the wheels

So guy came in abouy halfway through talking about balancing MX wheels.

Second post, right after the OP posted talks about balancing. Third post talks about MX wheels.

All wheels benefit from balanced wheels. To start of with things just right is an advantage, even if that advantage goes away.

I'm running some DOT knobby (sorry too lazy to look but it doesn't matter) It's really aggressive at least a 90/10 tire. It's going on the crf.

the reason I ask is it is starting to show that there might be a bad batch of Pirelli scorpion pro's out there, wheel wobble starting right after installation on a couple peoples bikes so far.