Sign in to follow this  

MX-Tech suspension revalve for off-road racing?

I am looking at having my suspension on my 2011 300XC revalved for hare scramble and cross country racing. Does anyone have any experience with MX-Tech revalving your suspension for off-road racing? If so, how much did it cost? Would you recommend them?

I am leaning towards having MX-Tech revalve my suspension because they seem to specialize in WP suspension and there Illinois shop is about 1.5 hour drive from my house.

Also, if not MX-Tech, what do you think about Factory Connection or Enduro Engineering revalves?

Darren

MX Tech is a known KTM tuner with good reviews. I use Trail Tricks in SoCal. Gmoss has another on the east coast too. EE, Dicks, as long as its a KTM shop. Most of the big names will work on it, but from what Ive seen thru the years they dont get it right. Now that the SXs have linkage they may do better on those bikes.

Slavens is another KTM expert recognized nationwide. Check out his website for more info.

CoKTM

MX-tech did both ends of my son's '08 200xc for intermediate moto. Turns out that it works excellently for offroad too with a few clicker adjustments. The improvement in shock action is remarkable. The forks are better too, just not as markedly.

Lots of money well spent, I'd say.:thumbsup:

Having someone within driving distance means a lot. With that, I don't like the companies, like MX Tech, that use proprietary components that make it hard to go back to stock or have someone else revalve the susp.

Personally, I like the tuners that are small enough to give me great personal service, dealing with the owner, but large enough to have all the latest technology to do great work, and within driving distance. Luckily, I have all that.

"With that, I don't like the companies, like MX Tech, that use proprietary components that make it hard to go back to stock or have someone else revalve the susp.

Personally, I like the tuners that are small enough to give me great personal service, dealing with the owner, but large enough to have all the latest technology to do great work, and within driving distance. Luckily, I have all that."

Good points

Edited by Ralphtogo
fixed it

In my opinion you should ask around your local area for a guy that does excellent work or specializes in KTM's. I am lucky enough to have one that lives 5 minutes away. When something just doesn't feel right or i need changes made for different events he is just right down the street to make it happen, no need to send it half way across the country and wait weeks to get it back.

Thanks for the replys.

Are there any other reputable suspension tuners in Northern Illinois?

Anyone else out there have any experience with MX-Tech? I am leaning toward them because they are local. How difficult is it to go back to stock suspension after a revalve from a tuner that uses proprietary parts? Don't they give you back all of the old parts?

I'll be a little contrarian here... As long as you have the correct springs for your weight in it... Leave it stock, make sure the sag is set correctly and your golden, it is awesome offroad suspension. One caveat, if you know exactly, specifically what you're looking for, ie what you need the suspension to do for YOU and whatever your quirky tastes may be.

I'll quote a "local" pro who happens to have a national #1 plate (when I was thinking about buying a ktm I called him up to ask what would have to be done to the suspension to make it perfect for our local conditions) he said "buy it and ride it stock, the people who try to revalve it, only screw it up"

That being said, your conditions may be different, or you may have odd(not in a bad way) preferences, both are valid, but in both cases you should know EXACTLY what you want changed if your going to send your stuff off to a tuner. IF you don't... Save your money, set it up right (the front is very sensitive to sag) and know that the 2011 xc's have very, very good offroad suspension BONE stock.

:thumbsup:

I'll be a little contrarian here... As long as you have the correct springs for your weight in it... Leave it stock, make sure the sag is set correctly and your golden, it is awesome offroad suspension. One caveat, if you know exactly, specifically what you're looking for, ie what you need the suspension to do for YOU and whatever your quirky tastes may be.

I'll quote a "local" pro who happens to have a national #1 plate (when I was thinking about buying a ktm I called him up to ask what would have to be done to the suspension to make it perfect for our local conditions) he said "buy it and ride it stock, the people who try to revalve it, only screw it up"

That being said, your conditions may be different, or you may have odd(not in a bad way) preferences, both are valid, but in both cases you should know EXACTLY what you want changed if your going to send your stuff off to a tuner. IF you don't... Save your money, set it up right (the front is very sensitive to sag) and know that the 2011 xc's have very, very good offroad suspension BONE stock.

:thumbsup:

Good point. The stock suspension is great in the tight stuff but its a little soft when speeds pick up.

Good point. The stock suspension is great in the tight stuff but its a little soft when speeds pick up.

yep, faster riders often need more midvalve support than stock valving provides.

With that, some folks, including pros, like softer valving and stiffer springs and some like stiffer valving with softer springs.

From everything I have read, though, the 11's sound like I could be very happy with a stock set up.

Excellent, can you do some experimenting with the clickers for us? I'm curious if you can find a setting that is at least acceptable for you. I rarely get to ride where there is any fast stuff and any thing you come up with would be appreciated. (kind of cheating on my part I know, but you know how it is... Saves some grief on race morning when it dawns on you that "this one is fast" and you have an idea of what worked for someone else.):thumbsup:

For me fast to slow and rough is 3 clicks and a 1/4 of a turn on hs rear, front is 3 clicks also. I'm still working on it and I'm interested in others settings.

As for a revalve, I'll pass. I did my last bike and I'm not I

Pressed. I agree with others, buy it and ride it.

my 2011 250xc set up stock..

Slowed down the rebound front and rear 1 click to get rid of the nervous feel. Rear sag is 107mm with a quarter turn stiffer on the HS compression. Raced it in the AZ desert and then in the Tenn Enduro 2 weeks ago. Great suspension except for the mentioned too soft mid valve. However it is VERY raceable and better than any revalve that I've tried this year...

Excellent, can you do some experimenting with the clickers for us? I'm curious if you can find a setting that is at least acceptable for you. I rarely get to ride where there is any fast stuff and any thing you come up with would be appreciated. (kind of cheating on my part I know, but you know how it is... Saves some grief on race morning when it dawns on you that "this one is fast" and you have an idea of what worked for someone else.):thumbsup:

I will do a little experimenting next time I ride and post it.

I did my 2008 300 with Mx-tech last year. I did the works and had them set it up for vet A hare scramble racing. When i got it back, my first impression was that is felt exactly like when the bike was brand new (but after i had re-sprung it and set sag correctly). They did a nice job and are great people to deal with but I would not do it again since i do not race as much as i ride. Some of the cost was adding parts to make the shock easier to service in the future which is part of what Mx-tech does with their proprietary components. Overall, I think KTM has seriously dialed in their suspension for off road riding and you do not need to do much more than springs, sag and clicker adjustments. Also, one or two clicks makes a big difference with KtM, unlike the other brands.

I did my 2008 300 with Mx-tech last year. I did the works and had them set it up for vet A hare scramble racing. When i got it back, my first impression was that is felt exactly like when the bike was brand new (but after i had re-sprung it and set sag correctly). They did a nice job and are great people to deal with but I would not do it again since i do not race as much as i ride. Some of the cost was adding parts to make the shock easier to service in the future which is part of what Mx-tech does with their proprietary components. Overall, I think KTM has seriously dialed in their suspension for off road riding and you do not need to do much more than springs, sag and clicker adjustments. Also, one or two clicks makes a big difference with KtM, unlike the other brands.

Ground Squirrel, I primary race and run the Open A class in hare scrambles. Is it worth the money for racing? If you don't mind telling how much did revalve cost and what did they do?

my 09 300 with springs to suit my weight 96kg with gear is great with stock valving ,changed oil hieght in forks and i can desert race or blast the mx track no problems ,I am an intermediate vet rider

I sent my 2011 300XC suspension to MXT to have them do the works to it including the Huck Valve. I have 3-300's, two out west and this new one is going to be my GNCC/East Coast Hare Scrambler. I have tried FC, PC, Precision Concepts, and Trail Tricks over the years. I like the Trail Tricks Suspension the most for out west desert racing and fast trail riding. I decided to try MXT after talking to Jeremy (owner) a couple of times and was kind of interested in the Huck Valve setup for the forks (speed sensitive bottoming control). When I got my stuff back last month I rode it for a while and it was WAY to Stiff/Harsh for the east coast rocks and roots. I sent it back and they made some adjustments so hopefully it will be better. I will not get a chance to give it a try until next week. For what its worth I have a couple of friends that have 2011 300XC's also, and ride them stock, I have ridden them and they are very good! The stock shock is better than any KTM shock that I have ridden yet. I am kind of wondering if I should have just sprung it for my weight and tried that before spending the money at MXT. Will report back once I give the second re-valve a try.