What do i need to do to put a headlight on my yzf250?

im 15 years old and in highschool sports, by the time i get home its dark! my cousin has a wr450 and he always wants to ride. i love riding trails at night. so is it possible to wire one up or not? my dad has an xr400. it dosent have a battery but yet it has a light? how is my bike any different?

Your stator can't handle the load of the light, it pretty much has enough capacity to handle the ignition system. What others have mentioned is you can get a battery, switch, relay and a light and wire it up but once the battery dies you have to put it on a charger. The battery is only going to charge so many times before it won't take a charge

pdiddy gave you a link though I thought it had been discontinued.

35 watts AC is not much. That is peak to at or above 6,000 rpm. Less of course as the RPMs drop. Even a 35 watt bulb is going to over tax the stator. You'd want to use a battery but then, the total usable wattage drops further, even with full wave rectification, provbably down to 25 watts DC. If you must use lights, you can get an all battery one like the niterider Pro1400. Then you could use the stator, rectified to keep the battery pack charged.

im 15 years old and in highschool sports, by the time i get home its dark! my cousin has a wr450 and he always wants to ride. i love riding trails at night. so is it possible to wire one up or not? my dad has an xr400. it dosent have a battery but yet it has a light? how is my bike any different?

As your bike was designed for MX, it never came with a lighting stator and there really isn't anything (useful) available.

Sounds like you just need an hour or two worth of light so this is what I'd do. It's not cheap, but lighting an mx bike never is. Buy yourself a decent headlight. I always recommend the standard Baja Designs enduro headlight as you can make it into anything you want it to be. It takes an H4 bulb, has a glass lens, and the optics are actually pretty darn good. Now, go and order up this battery and charger from Trailtech http://www.trailtech.net/6600-LIC.html. The BD light comes with a 55/60 watt light, which will make your battery life extremely short. Buy a 35 watt hid conversion kit off ebay. They are getting so cheap now it's ridiculous. This is just an example and references an H3 bulb rather than H4 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SLIM-BALLASTS-HID-XENON-CONVERSION-KIT-H3-4300K-2-BULBS-/170619720301?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b9ba526d. I think you can get set up for two bikes for about $35 delivered to your door in most cases. This will give you 3 times the light of the 65 halogen bulb in the BD light, but only burn 35 watts. Everything is plug and play, even a caveman could do it (seriously). The bulb wires plug into the ballast and the ballast wires go directly to the battery. The only problem may come if you wire the wrong lead from the ballast to the wrong wire from the battery and you will get nothing. Just swap them. The hid kit you want will be one that is 35 watts, comes with a "slim" ballast, and the bulb configuration is H4. You also have a choice of color temperatures for the bulbs. This is the color of light that the headlight puts out and is measured in Kelvin. You want a 4300k bulb, not 5000k, not 6000k, and certainly not 12000k. Those get more and more purple and the useable light just goes down the farther up the kelvin scale you go. You'll want some kind of switch in the wiring (or on the headlight shell) to turn off the light. I would imagine this setup will get you around 2 hours of riding. If you want more, you'll just have to pony up for an additional battery. Total setup will run you about $250 for one light.

I know it's not cheap, especially on a 15-year old's budget, but a light system for any mx bike is something you have to put together and this is about the cheapest way to do it and get really good light at the same time. Perhaps dad can help you with the cost. One thing is for sure, you roll up next to pops with this light and he will not even be able to see pathetic stock XR light. ?

Just thought I would add some info to this thread. This morning I tested a Moose/Electrosport/Electrex World stator. It ran 20 watts @ 14 VAC @ 5000RPMs. It would run a 35 watt bulb @ 9.8VAC @ 5000RPMs. This is the stator they offer for the 400/426/250F.

i like the idea of the battery and Killer bright headlight, but im not sure how i would hide all the wires, how to store the pack on my bike and i definetly dont want it to crap out when im night ridn in the woods miles from the house! i like the idea of the lighting stator, in terms of weight and how simple it is, but if its not vey bright, im not sure how good ill be able to see... is it possible to get a lighting ststor that will support a much brighter bulb?

i like the idea of the battery and Killer bright headlight, but im not sure how i would hide all the wires, how to store the pack on my bike and i definetly dont want it to crap out when im night ridn in the woods miles from the house!

The wiring is simple and all contained behind the headlight shell, not even visible. You could mount the battery almost anywhere (fork tube, frame, airbox). You have to ask yourself how much riding would you really do at night. I do at least 50% of my yearly riding hours at night in the desert in the Summer. I'll ride anywhere from 50-80 miles at night and am always amazed when I check my hour meter how few actual run hours I have. You would probably want two batteries to be safe and when you shut the engine off you shut the light off.

The 35-50 watt stators will be a huge disappointment in how much light they are able to power. Another option would be one of the 10 watt led helmet lights out (Baja Designs or Cyclops Adventuresports). I have the Cyclops and it puts a stunning amount of light out for only 10 watts. More than a stock enduro headlight and the battery will last 6 hours. It's good for up to 3-4th gear riding.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817387

i want to use one of the moose species headlights, its like 55 watt Halogen and a 55watt incandescent. what would i have to do for the wiring then? still use that sonversion kit? how much light would i lose?

An H4 halogen bulb is what the Baja Designs standard enduro light comes with. It's just the configuration of the bulb, much like a standard 75 watt house bulb compared to a 75 watt reading bulb. Different sizes, different bases. The H4 you would simply swap out with an H4 hid bulb (and ballast) and would be putting out 3 times the light of the 55 watt halogen bulb, but using only 35 watts.

The Moose light you reference I can't help you with. You would have to contact them to see what kind of bulb it uses and it may not even be able to run hid. But that light references either two or three 55-watt bulbs in it. That's a lot of draw. How on earth are you going to be able to power that?