Sign in to follow this  

k & n air filter

I've just ordered a k and n air filter for my drz and when it arrives I'm going to do 3x3 mod and get it set up and jetted. Basic question. How do you remove the foam filter. I had a quick look and it looks like take the clip off and pull off the filter. Is it that simple? I had a look for a filter change thread but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Also when fitting the k and n is there anything i should do to it such as spray it with oil or does is need sealing with grease at the rear like the foam one?

Filter comes pre-oiled, just put some of the sealer grease on the filter were it mates with airbox. And it comes off real easy, just fiddle with it and you will figure it out

Kyle is spot on.

There is a metal clip that holds the filter in place. Un-clip it and slide the filter out. Now the K&N is fairly rigid and will take some fenagling to get it in. But it will come oiled, just grease the edge and install.

When it comes time to clean it, you will need to apply oil to it again. You can get the K&N maintenance kits at most autoparts stores.

If you ride in the dirt, you may want to cancel your K&N order especially after you do a ThumperTalk Search and read about the many testimonies against using these filters in dusty conditions.

I like my K&N for road riding, but as chas_M said you may want to consider something else for off road or dusty riding conditions. I use a Twin Air filter for off road duties.

Mike :thumbsup::thumbsup:

If you ride in the dirt, you may want to cancel your K&N order especially after you do a ThumperTalk Search and read about the many testimonies against using these filters in dusty conditions.

no just summer road riding. I don't even go out in the rain these day's

The K and N is a good street performance filter, nothing more in my humble opinion. It sounds like that that is primarily what you do, so you may like it.

Small increase in induction noise...

I have my side cover drilled, with a K&N and 41mm Fcrmx the induction roar is inspiring...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=86704

P.S. Don't drill your airbox side cover with stock carb/engine....You won't improve performance...

Small increase in induction noise...

I have my side cover drilled, with a K&N and 41mm Fcrmx the induction roar is inspiring...

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=86704

P.S. Don't drill your airbox side cover with stock carb/engine....You won't improve performance...

That there my friend, is a beautiful DRZ!!!!:thumbsup:

Hey ..Thanks for the kind words bro...performance is fairly tidy as well...:thumbsup:

piccies :-)

Don't use grease to seal it, use a neoprene gasket. No dust gets past the filter that way. They do work fine off road no matter what you will hear from some. Over ten years of using them off road here in Nevada with no ill effects.

after personally observing dust deposits in the intake pipe in autos using a K&N it's scary what they let through. I have a k&n sitting on my shelf for this reason, I had to buy the filter cage so I could run a foam filter.

if you are riding in dusty dirty conditions a k&n will pass a surprising amount through the filter.

-Zach

after personally observing dust deposits in the intake pipe in autos using a K&N it's scary what they let through. I have a k&n sitting on my shelf for this reason, I had to buy the filter cage so I could run a foam filter.

if you are riding in dusty dirty conditions a k&n will pass a surprising amount through the filter.

-Zach

i only do road riding. But where does the k and n let dust through? Surely if it is sealed against the mating surface correctly where does the dust get in? Or is it just the fact that a performance filter has bigger holes in the gauze?

Hopefully you don't live in dry dusty conditions like I do, I simply can't use a K & N here where I live, way to dusty, it lets dirt all up in the intake boot, I have been using a dual stage UNI in everything I ride for years now. You will love the big 3 modds when your finished though.

have you ever been to the UK? It rains 300 days a year. Dust doesn't stand a chance here, :-)