Sign in to follow this  

oil change tips?

i just bought a 06 crf250x about a week ago and i put 63 miles on it. i plan on changing the oil every 105 miles because im not a very agressive rider yet. when i put new oil in do i have to put it in on both sides? i am very confused with this topic. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

yes sirrr honda is the only manufacturer that has split the engine oil and transmission oil in the bottom end sould 750ml tranmission and 620 on the enigine side. hope this helps buddy : )

is there supposed to be a dipstick on the engine side? i just pulled the little plug thing that usually has a dipsick on i and it didnt. the transmition side had a dipstick though. sorry for the questions.

ya buddy no worries about the question ill answer it all to best of my knowledge but yes there is only one dip the other is just a fill cap dont worry nothing broke off in the engine

is there supposed to be a dipstick on the engine side? i just pulled the little plug thing that usually has a dipsick on i and it didnt. the transmition side had a dipstick though. sorry for the questions.

The dipstick is on the motor side. Remember when checking oil level, do not screw the dipstick in, this will give you a false reading. A few more basics: The drain for the transmission is is just forward of the gearshift lever shaft. The engine drain is on the bottom of the motor. Trying to fill the trans through the filler is a pita! the easy way is to lean the bike over to the left and up against something so it's at about a 60 degree angle. Now, using a 10mm allen wrench, take off the cap that's between the clutch cover and water pump (also used to set timming) and now filling the trans is fast and simple.

I just used the small tip off a quart of gear oil to fill both. Kept it nice and clean.

I just used the small tip off a quart of gear oil to fill both. Kept it nice and clean.

i use the same method,works great!!!

do you guys have any oil recomendations? (last question i promise. but i have only ridden the bike 3 times.)

Any quality motorcycle oil designed for use on a wet clutch and not energy conserving will work. I run semi synthetic in the gray bottle, i think its actevo or something like that. Its always on sale at cycle gear and works great. Everyone will have their own opinions so take mine and there's with a grain of salt. I run a slightly heavier oil in both sides, 20/50 i believe. Cuts down on some of the engine noise. Alot of guys run lighter oil to make more power but sacrifice reliability.

i use honda oil on both sides but as jakeinabox says its just what i use it doesnt mean you have to use the same

I'm riding an 09 250x and am running Rotella T 15-40 in the tranny and Royal Purple 10-40 on the engine side. Don't have a lot of miles on the bike yet but so far seems to work great. The most important thing is to keep oil on both sides clean, I change both sides every oil change but, alot of guys change their tranny oil every other engine oil change.

Changed my oils last night - Maxima 10W-40 in both sides. Pouring in the tranny oil is a complete PITA and I ended up spilling a lot of it, so my measurements were totally shot. I just kept adding tranny fluid until it started seeping out of the tranny oil check hole.

Changed my oils last night - Maxima 10W-40 in both sides. Pouring in the tranny oil is a complete PITA and I ended up spilling a lot of it, so my measurements were totally shot. I just kept adding tranny fluid until it started seeping out of the tranny oil check hole.

Measure it and pour it in the crankcase hole...the one on the right side where you turn the motor over to line up the marks for checking the valves. I use an old honda 80/85 bottle...measure out 750 ml and squirt it in. Done. :thumbsup:

in both sides. Pouring in the tranny oil is a complete PITA and I ended up spilling a lot of it.

See post #5 in this thread :thumbsup:

Measure it and pour it in the crankcase hole...the one on the right side where you turn the motor over to line up the marks for checking the valves. I use an old honda 80/85 bottle...measure out 750 ml and squirt it in. Done. :thumbsup:

Me too, I have a Pro Honda gear oil bottle I use as a measuring cup and just squirt it in the fill hole. Hardly spill a drop.

When you walk in the garage after an oil change the night before and notice a small patch of oil under your bike, don't freak, it's just time for a new aluminum washer on the drain plug.

When you walk in the garage after an oil change the night before and notice a small patch of oil under your bike, don't freak, it's just time for a new aluminum washer on the drain plug.

Hmm...mine never leaks...it just gets smashed against the drain plug so that I have to cut it off. Perhaps you've been using yours past the smashed point?

Maybe you are making it too tight? I change my oil often, and still use the original crush washers since 2004.

I've replaced mine once, i just flip it over each use, then replace it when it looks too smashed.