1999 610 running problems

Hi All

I have a problem with my 610 which was solved late last year but has reared it's head again! Basically when going at speed the engine splutters and sometimes dies completely and I have to bump whilst rolling to get it going again. This can last a couple of minutes and then be ok again.

If I stop and pull over wait a few minutes and then ride again it seems to be ok.

My friend was convinced it's a fueling problem but I don't agree (see below) but I maybe wrong. Of interest it backfires a lot and there are flames coming out of exhuast when it's spluttering.

When this happened last year my husky dealer traced it to a dodgy CDI (replaced) AND also a broken stator (apparently the coating can crack when the stator heats up and the winds can get damaged??). Anyway that was replaced as well with a re-con stator.

At the same time he checked the valve clearances and cleaned the carb in a wave cleaner so everything seemed to be perfect.

I have had about 3-4 hours of great riding with no issues but this re-occuring problem is doing my head in!

I cannot possibly think what it can be, please can someone offer their advice?

Thanks

This never happens when going slow? Did you just fill the tank? Did you try a new spark plug (under load, if the plug as a defect, the extra heat can cause them to malfunction)?

Stator failures manifest as a high speed miss fire not a complete ignition fail. CDI's too, rarely fail. Coils are similar in that it starts as a high speed mis rather than a complete fail.

Common solutions to your complaint are:

Bad fuel

Debris in the bottom of the carb

Bad spark plug

Partially clogged fuel tank vent

Partially cloged float needle valve screen

Faulty wire/bad ground

Thanks for your suggestions;

Yes it only happens at high speed, the engine dies and sometimes cuts completely.

It has had a recon stator and brand new cdi so I doubt (and hope!) it's not those. I am going to check the carb next (screen and float level) as someone else said it could be the float level out of position.

I won't let it beat me!

Just started ticking off the possible causes and discovered that my fuel tank cap breather pipe (with alloy cap) doesn't have any vent holes!! It appears it is a one way valve as you can suck but not blow.

Shouldn't this breather pipe be completely open (like a standard piece of tubing that comes as standard)

I reckon this is the cause of high speed engine spluttering and cutting out

It is supposed to have a one way valve to prevent gas from pouring out when the bike is crashed. It is supposed to let air in. Just for fun, remove it, confirm you can blow air in (test with the fuel cap removed...) and go for a gentle ride (kust slow enough so crashing is not a concern. If th problem s gone, you found your culprit.

I have seen the valve installed backwards a few times.

Ok so it's not the fuel tank breather. took cap off, went riding and still did it. Now taken carb out and checking height of float guide. Manual say 16-17mm whereas mine is 20mm so reckon thats the problem.

can I just check that I am measuring it correctly. Is it from edge of card body (where float chamber meets main carb body) to tip of float arms?

The reason I ask is that the measurement to base of flaor arm (where is rests on the pin) is about 17mm!

Also where is the float needle valve screen and how do I adjust height of float arms?

Sorry for questions!

Thanks for link, that answers my question. just bend 'em, easy!

Do I get to the float screen but undoing the screw that has the float arms pin coming out of it? I want to clean it but don't know where it is!

i think you refer to the screen under the fuel inlet stub on the side of the carb.

Undo the 6mm (10mm head) bolt and pull off the stub and there should be a screen under it.

Did you ever get this problem sorted? I have the exact same problem it seems to occur more often when I give full throttle at high speed and the coast back down to the speed limit. And also when Coming to junctions

I had the same issues with a trials bike and one day I finally checked the magneto. Good thing, cause the gasket failed and the compartment was full of water. Also sometimes metal Bristols or shavings can accumulate in the magnet of the bell.

/

I had the same issues with a trials bike and one day I finally checked the magneto. Good thing, cause the gasket failed and the compartment was full of water. Also sometimes metal Bristols or shavings can accumulate in the magnet of the bell.

the issue of condensation was common on the left kickers..but the last poster has an ignition bathed in oil..so water is unlikley..

by the way nice unusual word there.. what do the US refer to as "bristols"??, - swarf/ filings..??

in the UK it's an old fashioned phrase for BOOBS..!! ; - }

Edited by varesecrazy

Actually I spelled it wrong, its bristles and they're the wires on a wire brush. And filings... metal shavings.

Actually I spelled it wrong, its bristles and they're the wires on a wire brush. And filings... metal shavings.

OH,  I see,

well at least you've now got a new phrase to replace hooters..,   ; - }

Charlie