07 Yamaha XT225 starting problems.

I recently bought an 07 Yamaha XT225 off of Craigslist. It has about 330 miles and is in great shape. I've had trouble starting it cold even though the battery is fine. Once you pop the clutch It runs great accept that it idles too high. If it is warm you can start it without trouble.

I think the fuel air ratio is off because when you kill the motor it makes a pop. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about the bike. (He said it was a 5 speed when it is really a 6 speed.) He suggested I clean the carburetor but I don't have much faith in him.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sawyer:ride:

Well he was most likely correct about the carb; it is too lean, probably partially plugged idle circuit. Carefully pull it apart and clean everything. You may want to remove the blank-off plug on the idle mixture screw, and richen it up a bit (counter clockwise) someone on here probably has the hot set up. usually, if they sit, it is the very small jets and passages in the idle circuit that plug first. Sounds like yours is part way there. most carb bikes have this problem. Nice choice of bikes, by the way. Under appreciated.

Many have elaborate schemes for prevention of this during off season, but I drain the fuel, put just enough pre-mix from a two stroke in to allow it to run for a few minutes, shut it off and leave it like that in off season. The oil seems to keep the jets from plugging, coats the tank really nice to prevent rust, and after you fill it all the way up in spring with fresh gas, you can't tell anyway. It cheap, and has worked very well for me. I tried leaving gas in with fuel stabilizer, sometimes that worked, sometimes not so good. Now I do this to all of my off season stuff, works every time, even on the toughest one: the snowblower; it is stored in the summer, so really has problems with bad fuel. Not anymore. Even works with the FI bikes. Too easy.

Well he was most likely correct about the carb; it is too lean, probably partially plugged idle circuit. Carefully pull it apart and clean everything. You may want to remove the blank-off plug on the idle mixture screw, and richen it up a bit (counter clockwise) someone on here probably has the hot set up. usually, if they sit, it is the very small jets and passages in the idle circuit that plug first. Sounds like yours is part way there. most carb bikes have this problem. Nice choice of bikes, by the way. Under appreciated.

Many have elaborate schemes for prevention of this during off season, but I drain the fuel, put just enough pre-mix from a two stroke in to allow it to run for a few minutes, shut it off and leave it like that in off season. The oil seems to keep the jets from plugging, coats the tank really nice to prevent rust, and after you fill it all the way up in spring with fresh gas, you can't tell anyway. It cheap, and has worked very well for me. I tried leaving gas in with fuel stabilizer, sometimes that worked, sometimes not so good. Now I do this to all of my off season stuff, works every time, even on the toughest one: the snowblower; it is stored in the summer, so really has problems with bad fuel. Not anymore. Even works with the FI bikes. Too easy.

Thanks for you quick response and extra tip. Very helpful I am going to work on it tonight.:thumbsup:

You're welcome. Let us know how things turn out.

Number 28 is pilot jet, number 34 is mixture screw (in= lean, out = rich) #35 is cap that prevents you from messing with 34. (sure it does) For Ca, I'd carefully remove cap, and put it back on after getting the adjustment where it needs to be. Keep in mind that4 strokes should not be run on the rich side, it washes the oil off the cylinder wall and makes the rings wear quickly, and dilutes the oil. Just rich enough to make it idle better and start easier. The very small passages that #28 feeds are fond of clogging, as is the jet itself. Resolve that first before adjustments.

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=8420,2,0,sport

You're welcome. Let us know how things turn out.

It works! We did something that made it work and it starts now.

Thanks a lot for you help.

We don't know what we did , but it works !!!

Care to let us know just what you did to make it work ? :thumbsup:

Iludium M36 Space Modulator...Works for Marvin.

Could well be ...

Guess . That's all we can do 'til he lets the cat out of the bag . :thumbsup:

We don't know what we did , but it works !!!

Care to let us know just what you did to make it work ? :thumbsup:

I'm far from a mechanic but one possibility is that after we took it out ridding, (managed to pop the clutch.) And put about 50 miles on it, it half cleaned out the jets and all of that stuff. it still is harder then it should be to start but it starts ok now. A friend of mine who is more of a mechanic suggested "Sea Foam". Does anybody know anything about that?

Here's the link

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.html

Seafoam would be a very good choice . It might seem like it's not working at first , but that's just the gunk being cleaned out . A tank or two should help a lot .

I put SeaFoam in every other tank. A bit overkill maybe, but have not had any problems with fuel varnishing the carb....:ride: