Best boots for flexibility

After a 4 year hiatus I bought another bike (KTM 530 EXC) so now I have to buy more gear including new boots.

The last pair of boots I had were Alpinstars tech 6's (it was either a tech 6 or tech 8). Sure they were nice boots but even after a full year of riding/racing they felt only a little more flexible than ski boots. I vividly recall missing opportunities to grab a gear while coming out of a seated turns, difficulty down-shifting while descending hills, braking in certain body positions and other nuisances. They had a lot of plastic around the ankle joint which I believed made them so stiff. When I look at other boots i see the same stiff looking designs.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a boot with excellent ankle flexibility. I want full range of motion with minimal fatigue.

BTW it's not a buckle, size or technique issue.

try a trials specific boot. they're like slippers. beware though if they're super flexible then they won't be providing as much support. i have ankle issues so the closer i can get the boots to wear like 2x4's the better.

After a 4 year hiatus I bought another bike (KTM 530 EXC) so now I have to buy more gear including new boots.

The last pair of boots I had were Alpinstars tech 6's (it was either a tech 6 or tech 8). Sure they were nice boots but even after a full year of riding/racing they felt only a little more flexible than ski boots. I vividly recall missing opportunities to grab a gear while coming out of a seated turns, difficulty down-shifting while descending hills, braking in certain body positions and other nuisances. They had a lot of plastic around the ankle joint which I believed made them so stiff. When I look at other boots i see the same stiff looking designs.

So I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a boot with excellent ankle flexibility. I want full range of motion with minimal fatigue.

BTW it's not a buckle, size or technique issue.

Gaerne SG10 and SG12 are hinged for up and down foot movement. They take exactly zero seconds to break in. Sidi Crossfire and Charger boots are also hinged. And you can replace the soles if you get Crossfire SRS.

Gaerne SG10 and SG12 are hinged for up and down foot movement. They take exactly zero seconds to break in. Sidi Crossfire and Charger boots are also hinged. And you can replace the soles if you get Crossfire SRS.

actually my sg10's took 3 or 4 rides to break in. now that they're 6 months old and the soles have delaminated and fallen off and gaerne won't return emails or calls i can no longer recommend them. i know tons of people who've worn them successfully and love them and i'm sure that i just got a bad pair but their refusal to call me back or respond in any way has left me unable to support them.

you ever try to replace the soles on the srs system? after drilling and ez-outing all of the hardware because it gets boogered up i think i'd rather have the ta's and just take them to a cobbler for new soles.

just my experience

My Gaerne SG10s needed zero break-in time and I don't think I'd buy another boot.