Hand operated rear brake

I searched on this topic but Wanted to get opinions.

I want to use a hand control rear brake, but I do not have an auto-clutch.

What alternatives do I have?

Anyone try this? What has been your experience with the setup.

Problem I am having is i cannot bend me ankle enough to hit the rear brake when in the forward seated position.

Thanks

it shouldnt be too difficult to do. but wouldnt it just be easier to adjust the rear brake lever?

Search for Stunt Brake.

One method is to use a left hand master cylinder (clutch) connected to the rear brake master cylinder reservoir port via a special fitting; pedal or lever will operate the rear brake. Clutch lever mounts to the master cylinder reservoir cap.

option number one: bleed the brakes and move it up so you can break easier and you dont have to move ankle as much.

2nd option: get an auto clutch and then get the brake where the clutch is

You could always get a finger lever (like the choke lever on some bikes) to use as the clutch...

Setup your levers so your clutch is above your hand brake master, and use a shorty clutch lever, or cut your clutch lever, so you use your clutch with your index finger, and brake with your middle finger.

An ez pull clutch is recommended, like a MSR raptor ez pull (around $50) although the MSR breaks extremely easy, I wouldn't run one on a dirt bike unless you have hand guards, they snap FAST!

There are also "RSC" ez pull clutch levers which are billet and strong as can be, but they run around $80, although it comes with a lifetime warranty, and more options then the MSR. http://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

There is also the option to make your stock clutch arm easier pull, and even combine it with a ez pull clutch for the ultimate light clutch pull. Many stunt riders do this as we work the clutch often, and only have 1 finger available to work the clutch. I can 1 finger my sport bikes clutch all day with no fatigue with my clutch arm lengthened 1/2" and a ez pull lever.

I made a write up for my 150f on how to make the clutch lever pull easier for free, since I didn't notice anything like this on thumper talk. It's common amongst stunt forums/riders.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784686&highlight=clutch

The master cylinder you choose for your hand brake is very important. The wrong one and you will barely be able to lock the rear wheel with 1 finger, and need to use way to much force to modulate the rear brake causing more fatigue. Unfortunately I don't have much advice for this when it comes to dirt bikes. However there are many people that stunt bikes like 450r's and drz400's, and have hand brake setups. I believe even some bikes you can get dual caliper setups for, having two independent braking systems in the rear.

I personally would advise to stay away from the hand brake master cylinders that have the little 1 finger clutch mounted to the top of them. They don't allow you to position the levers where you want, and the clutch lever isn't ez pull so its extremely hard to operate. You are much better off with two independant levers. Not to mention the master cylinder itself isn't very good for a hand brake setup, not a lot of feedback and power.

I'm not sure if its needed in the dirt bike world, but Radial master cylinders are the best. However, a standard master might be more then fine for offroading. It's a little different when trying to bring a 400 pound 100hp bike down from a wheelie :thumbsup:

Just a picture of my sport bikes setup to show how I have my levers stacked. This was with a MSR ez pull, and a OEM 1000rr radial master cylinder that I snagged for $60 on ebay

sep07003.jpg

sep07004.jpg

I know of a few people who tried them for sport bikes, and had bad results. Took too much force to use. Of course, might be different on a dirt bike.

^Maybe they didn't bleed the system correctly? You should be using the front brake as your main brake anyways...

Also don't put that on the right side if you have used thumb throttles. For obvious reasons :thumbsup:

Great info!

Thanks

I might try the thumb control. I will repost the results.

I've been doing a lot of research on this and there is nothing specifically made unless you use an auto clutch like rekluse but stunt bikes and motard guys make them for their bikes. I've seen one guy successfully make one by using a front brake master cylinder and mounting it on the left side. To get the angle for his thumb correct he cut down three levers and stacked them. It was so simple yet efficient. I have problems with my right foot and can't find the brake pedal so until I get my LHRB set up I made a bigger cleat for my pedal

^Maybe they didn't bleed the system correctly? You should be using the front brake as your main brake anyways...

Also don't put that on the right side if you have used thumb throttles. For obvious reasons :thumbsup:

It's just the bore size of the master, and not being able to use enough force with your thumb to make it effective for stunt riding.

You'd know if your system isn't bled properly, would be spongy.

On a side note, I use a hand brake for stunting, so I use my rear brake way more then the front brake. Front brake I only use for endo's.

A quality rear brake setup is important for stunt riding, as you'll be working the brake like 50% of the time you're on 1 wheel haha

Of course, different purposes, require different setups, so the thumb setup might work ok for offroad. After getting used to a dual lever setup (clutch and brake stacked) I think I'd prefer a 2 lever setup on any bike

this guy used a second mater cylinder clutch setup and mounted it using a bar mount. clean neet and cheep!

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=380458

I copied him on the mount, and just ran the brakeline into the rear master cylinder, bought the sertup from rekluse., it works great, but of course I do run an autoclutch, so if i don't get to the clutch, no big deal! you could reverse it and put the clutch on top and brake on the bottom if you wanted too!

This may work for you ... http://www.clake.com.au/

these are great, till you see the price!

No haven't seen the price ... just know the Aussies install them on trials bikes which is how I am aware of them. Seems a nice way of doing it to get both clutch and brake with one lever. Good luck with whatever method you use ... just make sure it is safe!

Andrew