Track building tips

I am building a small track for my son to practice on his 65 and need some help with the berm turns. I laid out a few starters (they are almost all 180 degrees more or less) and they are too tight and the pitch is too steep. I rode out the turns with my 250 and had an 85 rider come out and ride so anyone have any tips on how to build them more effeciently? How much pitch should they have and how long/wide? Or is it simply trial and error?

ive built some tracks and groomed them with my uncles bobcat. if you have a skid steer it is actually very easy but thats only if you have one... what i like doing is creating a rut and i keep riding it to the shape and angle of the turn i like and then just add dirt around the back and then eventually fill in the rut and then i have a perfect berm to blast out of..

what are you using to make them?

I had about 25 dump truck loads of clean fill dirt dropped from guys digging pools around my house. Really nice clean dirt. I got lucky and it was all free.

what machinery?

I used a skid steer the first time. The guy coming over to do it will be using a front loader and gannon box.

Youll be done in no time. Not as fast as a dozer, obviously, but I would kill for the space to build a track.

We just built a track, and I went and measured our turns. I was curious too, because I used trial and error when I built it. My track was built to run both directions, BTW, and it's aimed more at kids but still fun for the adults.

Only two of our turns are 180 deg. The rest are more open, since our course kind of "winds" around the property.

The smallest radius of all the turns is 13' and the most fun - you can drag the pegs:banana:. The largest is 24' radius, and honestly, it's too big. The pitch of the berm itself is maybe 45 deg or a little steeper on average. The rut at the bottom of the bowl develops a more vertical wall with use.

The berm height probably averages about 18-24"

Hope this helps

Helps a lot, actually. I am doing the same concept as you, two directions and mainly kids but good if I want to go screw around. Thanks for your advice everyone. I'll try and get some pics when I am done.

You didn't ask about other obstacles, but I'll tell you our experience. Our jumps are table tops so that the kids that are maybe just beginning riding can roll across them, never even leaving the ground.

I had initially built a whoops section, but the kids really struggled with it and wanted to ride around it. I ended up taking out a lot of the bumps, and used the dirt to make a few small jumps, so now it is a rythm section.:thumbsup:

Depending on your soil type, you may need some provision for watering at least the berms. We are in a drought here (clay soil), so my track is hard & slick - I actually fell today because of it - ouch. A farmer friend has a water trailer that he is going to lend me to try.

Have fun!

I've got the jumps covered. I built table tops the last time and will do that this time also. I also built a setp up/step off (depending on which way you were riding) last time and that worked really well. I have an irrigated pasture and I also have water lines out there so I can hose or set up sprinklers if I have to. I may do a ski jump with a sloped backside so even when he starts jumping further he won't overshoot the landing. I will be doing a small section of whoops too. Also the guy building the track is mixing in soil stabilizer to cut down on dust.

I've got the jumps covered. I built table tops the last time and will do that this time also. I also built a setp up/step off (depending on which way you were riding) last time and that worked really well. I have an irrigated pasture and I also have water lines out there so I can hose or set up sprinklers if I have to. I may do a ski jump with a sloped backside so even when he starts jumping further he won't overshoot the landing. I will be doing a small section of whoops too. Also the guy building the track is mixing in soil stabilizer to cut down on dust.

You lucky duck. :thumbsup: Just kidding.

I have a small test track. But I need to feshin it up. I have to rent something.

I do have a 1950 Gravely tractor with attachments. I have been eyeballing that thing.