shifting my '84 CR125 without the clutch

Hey folks, I went for a great ride on the trail system just north of Cadillac MI last weekend. I was on a freshly-rebuilt 1984 CR125 and the bike did really well. I noticed with this bike that I could shift gears up and down like butter without using the clutch at all. My '85 IT200 and '87 and '88 YZ250s never used to let me do that. It really made riding easier. Can this cause any damage? Is shifting without the clutch a bad habit?

Thanks!

Theres a reason the clutch is there... USE IT!!!:thumbsup:

Theres a reason the clutch is there... USE IT!!!:thumbsup:

So you can get started from neutral. :thumbsup:

There are a bunch of threads about this recently, this seems to be one of those issues like best oil or 2t vs. 4t. Everyone has an opinion about it. If you do a search you should be able to find some of these threads and then you will have to decide for yourself what you want to do.

From what I have read, no one has ever had an issue shifting without the clutch.

If you insist on being a lazy fatty that can't open his hand and pull in that lever then just remember not to shift while the bike is revving... :thumbsup:

But I'm with 125rider1, there is a reason for that clutch... :thumbsup:

Haha I guess so... My friend thinks I'm a lazy fatty because I ride a motorcycle instead of a bicycle. :thumbsup:

You probably aren't going to break anything (though it will probably wear faster), but if there is no reason for not using your clutch other than not wanting to pull the lever, I'd call it a bad habit. Just my two cents. But whatever, just ride that bad boy! :worthy::confused:

Id call it a good habit, if you haul ass on a mx track or anywhere for that matter, clutchless wide open upshifts are sometimes used.

What I meant was that he said he was riding trails. I see no reason to not use the clutch when trail riding. On mx track I could agree with you on skipping the clutch. But not using it on trails? Lazy bad habit.

But not using it on trails? Lazy bad habit.

Why? It's not harming anything. If it makes the ride easier for him, then I see no disadvantage.

i do it all the time. no problems so far

Ok fine. You guys win... :confused:

I'm just not ever gonna lend you my car... :thumbsup:

a car dosent have a sequenchle transmition, as a bike dose.

you DO NOT have to use the clutch wile shifting. if the transmition has a big load on it, it wont leat you shift, then all you need to do is let off the gas a little bit and itll shift into the next gear.

all this BS about having to use your cluch because this or that will happen is all just tall tails of, "i hured this one guys buddies brothers uncles kids wife once blew our her transmition from a cluchless shift"

clutch is to be used on down shifts. its perfectly safe to not use a clutch on up shifts provided you chop the throttle whilst changing gears.

Thanks for the responses folks. I do let off the throttle when upshifting. Could it be that Honda got this transmission exactly right in '84? It's easily the smoothest motorcycle transmission I've ever used. The '84 seems to be a great bike, my only gripe being a lack of low-end power. I guess that's to be expected though.

Thanks again!

clutch is to be used on down shifts. its perfectly safe to not use a clutch on up shifts provided you chop the throttle whilst changing gears.

What's funny, is half (made up figure) of the people who are pro shifting without the clutch will say it is the opposite. Clutch while up shifting, but no need to use it while down shifting. So, that would lead me to believe that it really makes no difference.

this is my general take on it as well.

you dont need to clutch on up shifts or down shifts. half the time you dont even have to let off of the throttle to up shift, but you do have to let off the throttle to down shift.

all the gears in the bike are spinning, all you are doing is engaging clutch dogs. like a boats lower leg, the faster the shift, the better it is for the trani. the gears are ALWAYS spinning wile the motor is on.clutch in or clutch out.this is why even in nutral, your back tire still spins.

The bike will shift without a clutch, however you dont save hardly any time when shifting up or down without a clutch. Also, you are doing nothing but wearing the gear dogs quicker. Why would people be taught to use a clutch when shifting if it doesnt matter. Pull the trans apart after a year of a bike being clutched when shifted vs a bike that is shifted without clutch use and tell me what gears look better.

The bike will shift without a clutch, however you dont save hardly any time when shifting up or down without a clutch. Also, you are doing nothing but wearing the gear dogs quicker. Why would people be taught to use a clutch when shifting if it doesnt matter. Pull the trans apart after a year of a bike being clutched when shifted vs a bike that is shifted without clutch use and tell me what gears look better.

How many gears have you replaced or not replaced based off of your clutching habits or skills?

I will admit, I have no extensive first hand experience in this area. I have shifted a handful of times without the clutch and have suffered no damage. There also seems to be plenty of people who have gone without using the clutch and not suffered any sure to be fate of a damaged transmission.

There seems to be more practical experience of people not using the clutch and suffering no damage compared to the other side of the argument where I see a lot of opinions on what happens if you don't use your clutch.

I just recently pulled apart a honda trx250r that had been mx raced and the kid claimed he wouldnt use the clutch when he was shifting. The bike kept popping out of gear when he would try to upshift. Sure enough, i get into the transmission to find half of the gears garbage because the dogs had been so rounded off from slamming gears.