Sign in to follow this  

Hitch carrier modification....will it work??

So I want to take my XR650 on vacation this year along with the motor home and Jeep. My idea is to custom make a hitch carrier for the bike to mount behind motorhome and extend the receiver so I can still hook up a tow bar for the Jeep. I'm thinking this will work because I wont have much down pressure because I'll be pulling the jeep with all 4 wheels on the ground.

Basically I'll be using about three ft of square stock for the receiver and welding a bike carrier to the top. I'll leave the back end of the square stock open so I can slide a receiver hitch in so I can tow jeep.

Question is: has anyone seen this done before? Can you think of anything, safety wise, that I may be over-looking?

Do you have a hitch on the Jeep? If it were me I'd get a hitch rack and mount it to the Jeep instead.

Steve

Do you have a hitch on the Jeep? If it were me I'd get a hitch rack and mount it to the Jeep instead.

Steve

Do you think the XR will be too heavy for the jeep? It's a 95 Wrangler. I would have no problem putting my YZ250 on it but thought the 650 would be too much.

They make hitch extenders.. I don't see any problem with making your own. Use thick enough square stock and youre good to go.

I used a motojack on my 4cyl wrangler with a xr400

it made it handle petty damn bad, and it looked like it was trying to do a wheelie, but if your towing it, I cant see how it would be a problem

we drove thousands of miles with that bike hanging off the back

Since you are custom building it-Weld 2 new receivers to the outside of the hitch to accept your bike carrier. Then,build the carrier across 2 supports and match the width. Now, the rail on the carrier has 2 supports and your bike won't sway.

Use a hitch extension on the standard center receiver for the Jeep.

Since you are custom building it-Weld 2 new receivers to the outside of the hitch to accept your bike carrier. Then,build the carrier across 2 supports and match the width. Now, the rail on the carrier has 2 supports and your bike won't sway.

That's the set-up I'm using when I pull my trailer for two bikes and a third on my custom rack. Got three receivers on the back of the van. I don't need an extension for the center receiver and trailer.

Great idea. Thanks! I was looking at Blue Ox carriers and see they make an electric lift carrier for touring bikes (very expensive). I'm pretty cheap so think I'll make my own. LOL :thumbsup:

That's the way I'd do it too....this way, the Jeep would have it's own dedicated tow hook up without having to mess around with it tugging on the bike (I can only imagine what the Jeep's yanking and jouncing would do to a bike on the hitch carrier if it were all connnected).

Thanks for the help. Havent worked on the carrier yet because the weathers be crappy. I'll take a look at the hitch to see if i can fit two more receivers under there. Sounds like a good idea. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks!