Sign in to follow this  

My new XR400!!! literally

Sweet find!!!! Let us know how it runs and rides:thumbsup: I also have a 97, and they are great, just take the time to set up the suspension.

Suspension and jetting suggestions please. 97 model.

Sea level to 3000ft. 196 weight. Thanks.

Ok you guys so I just got the carburetor clean after about a good six hour scrub down. I tried everything to get it clean. Finally I tried laundry detergent and it works great!! so I get it all nice and shinny set pilot screw and reinstall the carb. BOOM fires right up, I let it idle for a couple minutes but when I tried to take the choke off even just a tad, it dies. I suspect it is running too lean, maybe set the needle down a notch or two. any suggestions?

Anyways the bike has been sitting for quite some time and it is really hard to clean the carburetor because there is so much hardened gas or whatever. any tips on safely and effectively cleaning it.

Wow - nice find. That bike has never seen dirt. The clutch cover gets worn on the first ride - at least with boots on.

Do yourself a favor and replace the jets - you'll never get the old ones clean. Your pilot is still restricted, although it could be just that it is stock, and it is very lean out of the box. It'll be a good 5-10 minutes of warm-up before you can take the choke off. Maybe swap up to a 55/158 combo?

JayC

yea i think pilot is still clogged. maybe soak whole carb in carb cleaner. gallon jug available at auto parts store

Ok I will deffinatley get some new jets asap. this might seem like a stupid question, but when I take the pilot all the way out, underneath with the spring and whatever else is down there, I see what I think is red grease. Is there supposed to be red grease back there or is that old gas too. I didn't inspect to closely because I assumed it was grease.

that would explain it i cleaned everywhere but there just cuz of that. Well here I go to clean it I will update here shortly.

Hey thumpthis723, like a lot of these guys said the pilot is most likely the culprit. Definately do not soak the whole carb, because the rubber baffle in the carb will not like this depending on the solvent. I couldnt see your muffler very well, but if it doesnt have the turndown in it, then you will be somewhere around 62/162. My 97 runs perfect at this jetting. I can take my choke off immediately above 50 degrees and below that it isnt on for more than 30 seconds. Cutting out or flaming out is usually due to lean, so clean every orifice well. As said the pilot will do this.:thumbsup:

Ok I will deffinatley get some new jets asap. this might seem like a stupid question, but when I take the pilot all the way out, underneath with the spring and whatever else is down there, I see what I think is red grease. Is there supposed to be red grease back there or is that old gas too. I didn't inspect to closely because I assumed it was grease.

That is goop. That is also the pilot SCREW you're describing, not the pilot JET. The jet is in the bowl next to the main (its a long skinny one).

JayC

i read a lot about carb cleaning and one guy made a lot of sense, he said just boil the carb over the stove in water to lossen all the grime. have you ever had oil melted on a pot or something that wont come off no matter how hard you scrub with a spong and soap? but if you put some water in it and boil, it will come right off. im sure it works magic on carbs, though ive never tried it (i couldnt get my damn carb off cause the screws were stripped, though im really eager to try it) lemon juice apparently works even better, forget about carb cleaner and other chemicals

Alright I definitely did not soak the whole carb and yes I did mean the pilot screw and not the jet. I got it all nice and clean with some pipe cleaner, which I would not recommend doing again cuz it leaves little fuzzies all up in there and without air I would be screwed. but I cleaned it all out put it together let it warm and sure enough it was idling in every option. thanks for all the advice everyone and don't forget to check the pics if you want.

mea20 , I'm the carb boiler dude !

And it really works .:thumbsup: Every carb I have ever had problems with gets the boil treatment on the wifes stove and yes ,with lemon juice .

It doesn't hurt the rubber but takes the shine off all brass jets [the lemon juice] and the aluminum. I take it all a part and boil and have a beer. Boil time ,one beer .

Haha nice I will definitely try it next time cuz it was really time consuming the way I did it but it is clean now and it runs really well.