2007 CRF 230f fork seals

Unfortunately blew out my front right fork seal the other day,so going to replace both of them,want to do them my self and save some cash,i have a good shop manual to follow,but have never changed fork seals before,but would appreciated any steps (or all) plus advice posted.:thumbsup:

Thanks,

Cole

Follow the steps in these videos. They make it easy. Use a piece of PVC slightly bigger that the fork tube as the instead of buying and expensive fork driver.

Yep, very easy to do yourself especially on a non-cartridge fork which is what you've got. Considerably less to it than a cartridge fork. Here's a condensed version.

With the fork still on the bike, loosen the fork cap (on top) and the bolt on the bottom of the fork (faces the ground). Don't remove them, just loosen while the fork is being held by the axle & triple clamps.

Remove the fork from the bike.

You can remove either the cap on the top of the fork or the bolt on the bottom, doesn't really matter which you do first. Personally I remove the cap and tip the fork upside down to get most of the old fork oil out. Your fork spring will want to slide out, which is fine as you'll want it out anyway.

Remove the bolt from the bottom of the fork, turn the fork upside down and you'll have a tube (with a female thread at the bottom) and a small spring come out.

If you haven't already, remove the rubber fork boot.

Use a small fine tipped flat head screwdriver to remove the dust seal - refer to the video.

Remove the clip that sits on top of the fork seal - refer to the video

Slide the fork tube/leg apart, if you have a small propane torch I'll usually apply a little heat to the leg (housing the seal) and expand the metal a bit. Helps the seal pop out, I'll heat the leg for 2 min. max. That's not always necessary though - refer to the video

Remove the bushings, keeping in mind their order on the tube.

Replace the seal/dust seal.

If you don't have the seal driver, get a piece of PVC pipe and cut it in half so you have 2 crescent shaped 6" pieces. Put a piece on either side of the tube and secure with a hose clamp at either end.

Use your new homemade seal driver to drive the new seal into place. I'll usually put some fork oil around the outside edge of the new seal to help it slide into place.

Put the fork together the same way it came apart.

:thumbsup:

When i installed mine, I could push the dust seal all the way down into the seat just with my two thumbs. With the oil seal, it went down into the seat of the fork with just a push here and there of the tip of a large flat blade screwdriver.

When i installed mine, I could push the dust seal all the way down into the seat just with my two thumbs. With the oil seal, it went down into the seat of the fork with just a push here and there of the tip of a large flat blade screwdriver.

There you go, it just got easier ! :thumbsup:

alright will do,thanks for the help guys:)