fly wheel weight

I'm installing a steahly fly wheel weight this weekend on my 06 X. Never done this before. What parts do I need to do this job besides the weight? Just the left hand crankcase cover gasket and new oil and filter? I'm assuming I just take the cover off and it is right there? Oh I bought a flywheel puller too. Don't know if I need it or not. Probably

You need to use the puller with the bullit that screws on the end of the crank. You must not damage the crank end as it is a oil pasage. The rest of your thoughts are correct though sometimes the cover will come off with out damage to the gasket. If the gasket looks good just use a small amount of RTV and reuse it. Good Luck

I thought AWL was a lube for the engine.?

Regarding the puller... you can place a small diameter washer or steel disc between the puller and crank end to protect the end face. Do not put anything soft in there. It will just get smashed into the oil hole. As for "staking" the fastener, you can do it with a chisel or flat blade screwdriver.

• 4 months later...
whats the verdict on the install? Do you like it? What did it change for you?

I am starting to consider adding something like this. More and more riding in tight woods and terrain with rocky ledges and hard pebbled limestone

From what I am reading, this might be helpful.

I installed the Steahly 9oz on my bike and it made a definite improvement for me. I always felt the X would stall too easy while lugging it along. The 9oz weight has nearly cured the problem and as a bonus, much less wheel spin during hard acceleration and better overall traction.

For me there are no cons to this mod. The engine doesn't rev slower as I have seen others claim. Installation is a breeze and the instructions are well written. If I were to do it again I would probably just go with the 14oz weight.

The added flywheel weight IMO on my bike made it just some easer to control the hit but it will still spin the tire very easy if you have poor control of your right hand. I was mostly after making it less stall prone and it helped that a bunch.