Sign in to follow this  

bad low end bog

rode my drz today and at cruising speed in 5th gear if you give it throttle and it has no power it does it in every gear at lower rpm's even 1st when trying to climb hills gotta clutch it like a 2 stroke... when you wick the throttle it just cuts out and has no response and stutters out.. i was told to raise the needle one clip and go from there... any suggestions??

What model do you have? year? mods? history of problems?

By the way, don't compare it to a 2 stroke. My 2 strokes have way more bottom end than my DRZ.

Not kidding. Try a modern 2 stroke set up for cross county. As 4 strokes have gotten revier, 2 strokes have gotten gutsier.

Maybe "way more" isn't right, but go ride a 200, 250, 300 KTM or other modern 2 stroke and be amazed at the traction and torque and pull. Reed valves, pipes, porting, exhaust control, ignition maps, combustion chamber shape, all work. There is no lack of bottom end.

I love my DRZ400 and I love my 2 strokes. Both for what they do.

What model do you have? year? mods? history of problems?

By the way, don't compare it to a 2 stroke. My 2 strokes have way more bottom end than my DRZ.

Yes..you can get a good spread of power with a 2 stroke...Its all in the port timing/power valves/pipe.....

03 drz S stock carb 3x3 airbox... slip on yoshi i bought used came with jets and adjustable needle had a friend that was semi knoledgable install the jets and needle prolly 3 yrs ago... changed cam chains twice prolly due for another my MCCT is all the way in now and replaced rings once never had any big carb problems before other than popping on decel and stays rev'd up when it gets warm you gotta put it in first and let the clutch out slightly to bog the engine back down to normal idle after that idles fine until you give it throttle again....but probably totally seperate problems here

03 drz S stock carb 3x3 airbox... slip on yoshi i bought used came with jets and adjustable needle had a friend that was semi knoledgable install the jets and needle prolly 3 yrs ago... changed cam chains twice prolly due for another my MCCT is all the way in now and replaced rings once never had any big carb problems before other than popping on decel and stays rev'd up when it gets warm you gotta put it in first and let the clutch out slightly to bog the engine back down to normal idle after that idles fine until you give it throttle again....but probably totally seperate problems here

Dude, that's so hard to read. Use a period once in a while! Smart phone or not.

You shouldn't be going through cam chains. You probably have it adjusted too tight.

You probably need to clean your carb. All of it.

just using a regular computer not smart phone. just started rambling on i guess lol. just wanted to get some advice before fighting with taking the carb off. thanks

A bit hard to understand you.

One day, the bike was fine, the next it was not, correct? Nothing changed between days?

No:

• Crash
  • Fuel Tank filled
  • Loaned the bike to a buddy
  • 'Fixed' something
  • Parked the bike for a period more than a few days
  • Washed the bike

OK, I see you have lots of experience with the motorcycle. Multiple cam chains is odd. The only thing that comes to mind is the idle problem indicates lean. Could be jetting or an air leak or a warn out carb. Quite possibly the idle situation and the lack of performance are related and sounds like to carburetion me.

how about a worn out cylinder and piston, how many miles are on this bike? does it have the stock piston?

Whats your elevation? Also, do you have the street CV carb or FCR 39 offroad carb? Chances are good that your pilot jet is partially clogged, super important as it meters fuel throughout the entire fuel delivery process. Also, I would have the timing checked. If its bogging on top you may have to go with a larger main jet, I took my FCR39 from a 158 on the 4 clip to a 165 main on the 6th clip and the fuel screw adjusted out 2.5 turns here at sealevel and she is crisp, thats with the snorkel out and full FMF exhaust, pulls like a freight train. Suzuki is notorious for lean jetting from the factory.

ya i have been going thru cam chains so i was told to buy a DID cam chain instead of suzuki oem cam chain... when i did the last cam chain i put new rings in it and had the cylinder measured and honed .... but i think i will take the carb off check the jetting to see exact what im working with and have it dunked in the solvent cleaner tank and i'll go from there

ok heres what i got...4th clip down on the needle but under the clip was a spacer plastic washer and a metal washer...raising the needle even more... the plastic washer was thicker than the metal one... 134main jet 22.5 pilot and 2.50 turns out on the fuel screw... like i said i got the pipe and kit second hand so have no idea what jet kit this started out to be but 134main sounds super small...are all the numbers/sizes on jets the same as far as different kits?

Not positive but it sounds like you might have the Dyno Jet stage 1 kit installed. That kit was not intended for the 3x3 mod (I think I read you have that done) and did not include jets big enough to handle the air box mod and a more open exhaust. It also sounds like the spacers are not in correct position.

Edit: wrong again. I just looked at the intall picture on the DJ website and it shows two washers under the clip and the stock parts above the clip.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q312.pdf

You have a slip on and not a full system? If so a 160 might be a bit big. When I still had the Mikuni on my bike with the stock pipe and stage 1 kit I was running a 145 main with the stock pipe. I'd think a 150 might be more in line but I'm no expert. Maybe somebody will chime in here with a little bit more experience.

Edited by npm