Lookin for some advice on mods and tech tips

Hi, new to thumper talk and I was just lookin to get some advice about mods and tech tips. So I just picked up a new 09 drz-400s and was wondering how I can get a little more snap out of it by making some minor tweaks (preferably the ones that cost little to nothing) Ive heard I can make some of these tweaks to the exhaust and air box but im not sure what. If there is anything else please feel free to state them. Its coming up to its first oil change so I was also wondering if fully synthetic oil was a good choice to run in this bike, and if so what brand and what oil filter would I use. My last question is about valve adjustment, roughly how many K would I need to make adjustments and how would I go about doing this. Thankyou in advance for the advice.

Hi, new to thumper talk and I was just lookin to get some advice about mods and tech tips. So I just picked up a new 09 drz-400s and was wondering how I can get a little more snap out of it by making some minor tweaks (preferably the ones that cost little to nothing) Ive heard I can make some of these tweaks to the exhaust and air box but im not sure what. If there is anything else please feel free to state them..

Welcome to the TT party....:thumbsup:

It all depends what you call cheap???

From lowest to highest $....

Locktite fix the counter shaft sprocket, counter balancer nut, primary nut, stator screws, flywheel/starter gear fasteners.

Remove the rear suspension and swing arm, clean and grease the bearings.

Remove the steering stem , clean and grease bearings.

Do the free power mod.

Install a Manual cam chain tensioner.

Install Case Savers

JD Jet kit for the stock BSR36 carb and the 3x3 air box mod.

Install SS brake lines front and rear.

Re Spring and valve suspension to suit your riding.

Install MRD SSW exhaust

When you can afford it, go for 94mm Big Bore kit ,4mm stroker crank , big valves, RHC stage 2 valve spring kit , Head Flowing, RHC 187 cams, FCRMX41mm Conversion kit. ,SSW Super Start kit...

Its coming up to its first oil change so I was also wondering if fully synthetic oil was a good choice to run in this bike, and if so what brand and what oil filter would I use.

Full synthetic..:thumbsup:...I use Hi Flow Filtro..OEM is good...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=665513

My last question is about valve adjustment, roughly how many K would I need to make adjustments and how would I go about doing this.

I do mine every 5,000kms(3K Miles).....

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813179

craigo nailed it, you can find treads about every thing he said in FAQ on the drz form it self.

After all your locktite fixes and you have greased your bike.

Stock DRZS hp 33-35hp.

Best bang for your buck hp wise,+4 big bore, 12.1:1 and up on compression, FCR39mx, 3x3, SSW/MRD and I guess hot cams or E cams. Plus the MCCT

Hp around 45-48 with said up. those parts costing around 1,500

Someone correct me if you i'm wrong.

welcome to TT and really hope you enjoy Your new toy

good luck

Thanks for the advice

do the 3X3 mod to the air box and cut out the restrictor on the exhaust tip and rejet the carb. the whole thing will cost you about $75 for a jet kit and you WILL notice a difference.

Sweet man 75 bucks sounds like a good price for a little extra power.

Would I notice a difference say if I were to just replace the stock exhaust with an after market system, and if so would I need to change anything down the line?

Craigo had mentioned that Hi Flo Filtro oil was the top shelf oil to use, so I was wondering if anyone has a link to a website where I could purchase it, along with a synthetic oil filter?

Hiflow filtro is the oil filter...

3x3 , JD Jet kit and free flowing exhaust is a good match....

cutting up the stock exhaust will do nothing for performance..it may sound like your going faster, but you won't be.....

Yes, installing an aftermarket exhaust does make a difference... I recently installed a yosh TRC (same as a MRD/SSW) and did 3x3 and JD kit and it completely transformed the bike. I would recommend doing at least a rejet. 110% worth it

Rock on guys. Thanks so much.

i have a friend who is very mechanical (knows what he is talking about) although you might think different in just a second... i mentioned to him giving me a hand jetting my bike (when i get it lol) he asked if i planned on an after market exhaust or anything... said it wouldnt really be worth it if it couldnt really "breathe" is that the point for cutting out the restrictor in the stock pipe? and how is that done? i want to get an ssw down the road but obviously you all know the price of those! its not going to affect anything such as excess wear and tear or anything if i jet iiit waaaaay before i put an exhaust on it? (and yes with jetting i plan on doing the 3x3 as well)

Of course you can do anything you want to the stock exhaust system but as said before on the S model modifying the exhaust only makes it louder without power gain. The small diameter head pipe is the main restriction and anything you do without going to a bigger diameter head pipe (aftermarket full system) doesn't gain anything power wise.

ok good point... so on an sm model will 3x3 and jetting give me any performance differences if i still have the restricting header pipe? or should i just wait on the jetting and do it whenever i can afford the exhaust?

You'll notice the jetting. They're arguably jetted "wrong" from the factory - even for the stock exhaust. Throttle response is faster, a bigger part of the rev range is useable, and you'll gain power. Do it.

cool deal thats what i was wanting to hear! although its probably ill advised to do mods like that if the bike is still under warranty huh?

cool deal thats what i was wanting to hear! although its probably ill advised to do mods like that if the bike is still under warranty huh?

I'd look for a way to be able to do it anyway. If it's a non-silly dealer, the 3x3+rejet won't void. Many dealers are silly though maybe, IDK :)

Generally if you have a warranty claim that's not related to your re jetting etc you should be fine..

But say your engine seized due to extreme lean jetting ,you wouldn't be covered with warranty..

As soon as you open up your engine( i.e.BB kit, cams etc) and had an engine failure, . you could pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye..

As mentioned , just run any potential mods past your dealer to cover your arse....