Sign in to follow this  

How to help prolong fork seal life

heres what i have done, NOW i know maybe SOME of you will disagree with me, read all of this before hating on me, thanks

there is 2 seals, the one that holds in fork oil, and the one that keeps dirt out,

what i do is put grease in there, i yank down that seal, pack it in with grease, and good 2 go,

what does it do? help keep the upper seal lubed, keep dirt and oil out,

IF your forks are leaking, it helps keep oil in from leaking out, which can cause you trouble,

what it can also do, is help to keep your fork seals kind of moist, some seals might start to dry out and not create as good as a seal, the grease will help prevent that, and probably also create some lube,

now you might say, OH NO ITS grease im goign to get dirt stuck to my forks, well, that is wrong, your dirt seals keep your forks clean and shiny, interesting really, i pack them in, you would think that when those forks compress and come back out they will have grease, which in turn will create dirt to stick to them, they dont, they come out dry and free of any dirt sticking to them,

my proof,

well i had a 2004 Yz125, and one years riding, needed fork seals, another year same thing, so when the fork seals got done the 2nd time i packed grease in, and for the next 2 years or so i had the bike for, seals did not leak, coincidence? dont think so, not with my other results,

i have a 2006 Yz450f, fork seals had to be replaced 1 year later, so i decided im going to pack grease in there and try that, now its 2011, and probably 2-3K kms later, and its still not leaking, coincidence, i dont know

now, my friend has a 2008 yz450f, he just got it yesterday from the dealer, forks leaking, so he said, well seems like that grease trick does the job, lets pack mine up, but its too late, BUT it will help hold in that oil, so that oil does not drip out and get your forks low,

what is my type of riding? i do track, i do jumps, hill climbs, trail riding, enduro type stuff, same with my friend,

i hope i have helped,

sounds like a good idea. what kind of grease did you use? what seal did you pack it in, the oil or the dust?

It is recommended in the Yamaha Factory Manual to pull the wipers down often clean the area, apply Lithium Soap Based Grease then push wipers/dust covers back into place. It should be a part of your maintenance routine. And yes it does work sometimes to stop a small fork seal leak, but only a temporary fix at best.

I always clean behind the dust covers if I ride in mud , my fork seals on my KX lasted nearly 3 years on original set .

what do you clean your seals with?

i used brake cleaner and compressed air. but after that i thought about if that would be bad for the seals? :thumbsup:

my seals on my rmz lasted almost 3 years on original seals with greese and the ocasional clean out the oil seal with camera film . than i do the routine maintenance exact same on my yzf and i got under 15 hours on the meter when both were leaking . pretty random stuff

hi, i use this i think its heavy duty grease, not soap, i think its like hydraulic grease, its black, cant remember off my head, any grease works,

and yami book of mine dont say about running grease, and fork seals can be random, but with my type of riding it seems to be every year, with grease so far 3 years and counting,

and cleaning up in your seals, sure, but i think fork seals dry out, and the grease helps them,

in general any grease works, its going to do you good either way

+1 I do it to every set of forks to go across my bench.

My 2002 YZ250 (smoker) still has the stock seals.

I have used Spectro and now Maxima waterproof grease. No reason for the switch other than convenience.

heres what i have done, NOW i know maybe SOME of you will disagree with me, read all of this before hating on me, thanks

there is 2 seals, the one that holds in fork oil, and the one that keeps dirt out,

what i do is put grease in there, i yank down that seal, pack it in with grease, and good 2 go,

what does it do? help keep the upper seal lubed, keep dirt and oil out,

IF your forks are leaking, it helps keep oil in from leaking out, which can cause you trouble,

what it can also do, is help to keep your fork seals kind of moist, some seals might start to dry out and not create as good as a seal, the grease will help prevent that, and probably also create some lube,

now you might say, OH NO ITS grease im goign to get dirt stuck to my forks, well, that is wrong, your dirt seals keep your forks clean and shiny, interesting really, i pack them in, you would think that when those forks compress and come back out they will have grease, which in turn will create dirt to stick to them, they dont, they come out dry and free of any dirt sticking to them,

my proof,

well i had a 2004 Yz125, and one years riding, needed fork seals, another year same thing, so when the fork seals got done the 2nd time i packed grease in, and for the next 2 years or so i had the bike for, seals did not leak, coincidence? dont think so, not with my other results,

i have a 2006 Yz450f, fork seals had to be replaced 1 year later, so i decided im going to pack grease in there and try that, now its 2011, and probably 2-3K kms later, and its still not leaking, coincidence, i dont know

now, my friend has a 2008 yz450f, he just got it yesterday from the dealer, forks leaking, so he said, well seems like that grease trick does the job, lets pack mine up, but its too late, BUT it will help hold in that oil, so that oil does not drip out and get your forks low,

what is my type of riding? i do track, i do jumps, hill climbs, trail riding, enduro type stuff, same with my friend,

i hope i have helped,

This is common practise and in your Yamaha owners manual.....

it is not, in my manual, i either missed it, ive read many times, Also if it was, WHY DOESNT the factory do it? huh?, why does the shops not do it when it goes across their bench for their fork rebuilds.....

it is not, in my manual, i either missed it, ive read many times, Also if it was, WHY DOESNT the factory do it? huh?, why does the shops not do it when it goes across their bench for their fork rebuilds.....

What bike do you have? There will be an icon in the suspension tear down section (I think mine icon looked like a tube of lube with a letter on it), that you have to reference in the front of your manual to know what it means at least in the manuals I've had for 2002 and up yzf/wrf's. I know it's there in my manuals anyway, maybe in Canada manuals are different.

Not sure about the factory, but not all shops are created equal..........and neither are mechanics for that matter. Whether it's ignorance or laziness, any given maintenance procedure isn't guaranteed - in the manual or not.

The maintenance manuals (presumably) are written by the mfr, not KYB, et al. The mfr may not not spec them with grease packed in the seals, but can recommend it during service.

Wipe off the water marks after you wash the bike! Surprisingly helps a ton at making them last longer!

I have never had much trouble with seals, I had an rm250 for two years and it never needed seals.

My 450 has 57 hours on the stock seals with no leaks so far, I need to change the fork oil soon though.