Sign in to follow this  

Do you Torque Everything to its specified setting?

I only use a torque wrench on the axles and engine components. Things like plastics and such I don't bother measuring.

Same here, and locktighting plastics and such can result in stripping threads. I'd rather just keep an eye on them, and retighten after every wash after a days riding.

Avoid locktite unless clearly specified in the manual (e.g., internal transmission fasteners). It sounds like you are relatively inexperienced, so I would use the torque wrench on everything until you get a feel for how the bike goes together. Major engine fasteners, suspension, and brake components should ALWAYS be properly torqued.

I personally only use a torque wrench on critical fasteners (head bolts, primary nuts, flywheel, clutch hub, cam caps). All the rest I trust my arm, though I have been wrenching so long that I am darn close if not spot on to a torque wrench when using a rachet.

Sorry i didnt mean literally "everything", i DONT use the torque wrench on plastics ans simple things etc... i ment exactly what you guys are saying, engine components, oil filter covers, things like that.. i have a bit of experience spinning a wrench. my fathers a mechanic so grew up around all that and i do all my work on my cars etc..

just was wondering how many people used them cause i bought a new one today..

Sorry thought it would be obvious, i DONT use the torque wrench on plastics etc... i ment exactly what you guys are saying, engine components, oil filter cover, things like that.. i have a bit of experience spinning a wrench. dads a mechanic and i do all my work on my cars etc..

just was wondering how many people used them cause i bought a new one today..

You'd be suprized at some ask here on TT, sometimes the obvious isn't necessarily obvious to some. :thumbsup: Didn't mean to insult your intelligence. I do use a torque wrench on critical components. I think I need a couple more torque wrenches that are smaller for lighter jobs and tight spaces. I don't use a torque wrench on the :thumbsup:oil filter cover like you mentioned. They're easy to strip if not careful. I trust my arm on those more then my torque wrench, since I remove and reinstall them frequently. Have your torque wrench tested periodically, and make sure the threads are clean, but it sounds like you may know your way around wrenches better then me. What type/brand of torque wrench did you buy if you don't mind me asking. I have a craftsman, certainly not the best, but I can take it to sears whenever I feel the need and have it calibrated for free.

Whoops, I put locktight on my plastics bolts...How might i go about getting that out of there?

They're in there now and not going anywhere, I'd just leave them be til you have to remove the plastics. It's not 100% that they'll strip, it just makes it easier for those fasteners to seize up and strip when trying to remove them.

I only use a torque wrench on any moving parts or if there is a part with a gasket that needs to be sealed

It is important to know what grade the bolts are that you are useing,and if you are useing stainless steel they have their own set of torque specs,one of the most important things to use is antiseize,it will help you acheive a more even thread stretch when applying torque to a fastener.There is a previous thread about getting a bolt out of a gas tank insert that is made of brass,this happens often because the bolt/screw that went into the insert was not brass.This in turn created a galvanic corrosion,basically creates a cathode and an anode.This is common when coupling dissimilar metals.

I only use a torque wrench on things like head bolts, cam caps, triple clamp punch bolts, important things like that. Everything else I just go by feel.

I torque the triple clamps, steering stem, anything dealing with the motor, shock mounts, and thats about it. Axles, I just put some weight on them. Linkage, as tight as i can, everything else, whatever feels right to me. Ive been working on bikes for a while so I can tell myself what I feel is necessary to torque and what not to torque to spec

The only bolts I don't torque to specified settings are my clutch lever mount and front brake mount, I wrap teflon under them and tighten tight enough so they will still move with some pressure, every other nut and bolt(even my plastics) gets the torque wrench, only takes a few extra mintues, cheap insurance

just tighten everything up as tight as i can til it starts to feel loose again give it another turn til it snugs up again and its good to go.

that or tighten it up til it breaks than back er off a quarter turn

just tighten everything up as tight as i can til it starts to feel loose again give it another turn til it snugs up again and its good to go.

thats how the nieghbor guy showed me to do it to:lol:

This is a good place to start.

But more seriously, I hardly use a torque wrench. After working on cars for many years, I trust my torque by feel on almost all bike stuff. I haven't even used one on my bike yet, but I haven't been in the motor more than valve checks. I probably only would if I had to do more major motor/tranny work.