XR650R Dilemma!

Ok I have a 2002 XR650R mint condition and a 2006 CRF450R in mint condition. My problem is I can only keep one. I love both of the bikes I jjust wish I can combined the two. They both have there pros and cons the 450 will walk all over the 650 on the bottom end but the 650 comes back up top finally! I need a bike that I can ride tite trails with and drive on the road.

So I take it that you see my problem now? I want the bad&@s power of the 450 and the light weight compared to the slugeshness and heavy weight of the 650 but I love the streetability of the 650 compared to the unreliubleness of the 450 on the road. So I need your help on ti make my disition for me ha

Oh the bikes are stoke except the 450, it has an exhaust thats it and I was expecting way more power from the 650 :thumbsup: so please help

THANKS

There is your problem: the 650R is stock.

Let the 650R actually breathe and you shouldn't find the XR lacking in bottom end power compared to ANYTHING. Do you still have all of the restrictors in place? And if you do, why?

Yeah, it may rev slower, but that is just an endearing trait of having a "traditional" four stroke power plant. My XR (even when it was still a little 650) would still keep up out of corners with a 450 (or 500 two stroke) no problemo.

I know that if I have to get rid of one of my bikes, it isn't the XR that will be having to find a new home. In fact, my KTM is going to be going the way of the dodo bird the first of November.

There is your problem: the 650R is stock.

Let the 650R actually breathe and you shouldn't find the XR lacking in bottom end power compared to ANYTHING. Do you still have all of the restrictors in place? And if you do, why?

Yeah, it may rev slower, but that is just an endearing trait of having a "traditional" four stroke power plant. My XR (even when it was still a little 650) would still keep up out of corners with a 450 (or 500 two stroke) no problemo.

I know that if I have to get rid of one of my bikes, it isn't the XR that will be having to find a new home. In fact, my KTM is going to be going the way of the dodo bird the first of November.

What he said...

Uncork that bike and it'll be a different animal on the bottom end.

On the street, in Sumo form, my uncorked 650R will walk away from my friends 02 CRF450 sumo with a fresh 480cc athena big bore kit. What I love about the bike is the street-ability, and how tame it feels, until you crack that throttle open!

Edited by blone

Thanks guys I'll be sure to uncorck the 650 before i make my final dasition.

Who sells the best and cheapest kits? And is there any way I can get the the power to pick the front tire up on the 650 in 5th gear on gas only like my 450? I just want a bike that is TOO much for me or anyone else that gets on it. :thumbsup:

me and country thumper ride together all the time, i actually went and picked the 650 up for him.. i test rode it and like he said very slugish on bottom end :confused: even when i grabbed some clutch and goosed it, that 650 comes no where close to my 2003 crf450 which iss old worn out and stock except the pro circuit muffler! dont get me wrong that 650 is beautiful and runs good just needs some more umph!!! im sure he'll get it screaming by the end of the summer!!! :thumbsup:

You did post this in the 650 section so I think most if not all of us will say go with the 650 :confused: With that being said I was in the same predicament your in. I used to have a 450. Got tired of it not being a good all around bike(650 is cheaper and more reliable for me). For me the 650r is my perfect all around bike. especially since its street legal. If your 450 is street legal then that would make the decision a lil more difficult. Hope your happy with your choice when you make it.:thumbsup:

What he said...

Uncork that bike and it'll be a different animal on the bottom end.

On the street, in Sumo form, my uncorked 650R will walk away from my friends 02 CRF450 sumo with a fresh 480cc athena big bore kit. What I love about the bike is the street-ability, and how tame it feels, until you crack that throttle open!

X3

Uncork it.

A mate took mine for a ride after I put the pumper on and compared it to a CRF450, I don't think he really had the chance to wind it out as should be comparing it to the space shuttle:smirk:

Carb-Cam-Exhaust-Hi comp piston.

It's no secret these bikes go hardish stock and even better uncorked, but throw a few dollars in and look out.:thumbsup:

i would be nervous, that in gearing a 450 for freeway use, you would end up loosing out too much bottom end. With my 650r even at 300+ pounds i can cruise at 65 on the freeway and still lugg around in singletrack. If both are plated value is a wash(albight the 450 would def. be more rare,thus prob a little more valuable)

If you are a street to trails rider and thats it. and dont mind the much more maintenance needed on the 450. It would def. make a better trail weapon. But if your more of an adventure rider that isnt about max speed, and dont plan on having to pick it up too much :thumbsup: you cant beat the versatility of xr.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Im going to uncorck the bike and get an exhaust and after that if I cant rape 96 xr400 on his 03 450r after I rebuild it for him then it'll have to go :thumbsup:

Anyone know of anywhere to get a good uncorcking kit for cheap?

Thanks again everyone

Here I go again sounding like a Mikuni salesman, but from my experience the single most notable gain in performance, or I should say step 1 is go for a pumper carb.

My R already came with a Hi comp piston, cam & rev kit. I put on the Mikuni TM40 and have just put the Leo Vince headers on.

I would go carb first, the standard exhaust breathes OK once opened up. If you want to get rid of that lag on the bottom end and add some snap like your CRF, get the pumper first. Your CRF has a pumper carb, part of the reason it's snappy off the bottom.:thumbsup:

Do a search for pumper carbs or mikuni TM40 on this site and read up on some of the feedback from other riders.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Im going to uncorck the bike and get an exhaust and after that if I cant rape 96 xr400 on his 03 450r after I rebuild it for him then it'll have to go :thumbsup:

Anyone know of anywhere to get a good uncorcking kit for cheap?

Thanks again everyone

Not sure if there is a kit, just a how to do it guide, mine was already done.

All new owners to 650R's should have a good read up of Bruce's site:http://borynack.com/XR650R/index.htm

It is a must do for anyone looking to get the most out of their R, what Bruce doesn't know or hasn't done isn't worth knowing or doing:worthy:

For a pumper carb, I did the SUDCO FCR 41mm kit. Good kit, but the carb is an old school (aka first gen FCR street carb) and it just isn't all that great.

Using a box stock 2007 CRF450R FCR carb, cables, throttle assembly, etc... now. Had to do a little fabrication, but so far so good.

Lots of people have had good success with the Edelbrock kits as well.

FYI, if you can pull up the front tire when you shift into fifth gear, your buddy on his 450 won't get to see it. He will have already been tapped out in 5th and be a long ways behind you by then.

If you don't (or can't) spend the money for a carb upgrade, Borynack's site as mentioned earlier can help. The mod to the stock carb he has on there works (I did that before going with an accelerator pump equipped carb). Other than that, pop out the airbox plates, buy a new non-restricted intake manifold (or just use a good razor knife to cut out the stock one), and put the HRC tip in the stock exahust can. Do not just buy an "open" billet endcap. You loose a lot of backpressure that way, actually make less power, and just piss everyone off with the noise. The HRC tip isn't all that quiet, but it works!

Be sure to rejet after the mods. Your stock main is a 125, and you will need to go significantly larger with the XR opened up. Usually a 172-175 will get you in the ballpark. Do a quick search on the forum and you will find all the setup info you need.