Sign in to follow this  

First bike 89 RM250 (now seized piston)

Hey everyone, new to the forum and riding. I've always had love for riding but just never had the chance to get a bike. I've ridden quads and three wheelers, but yesterday was an awesome first with my new 89 rm250. Here is a pic of her!

rm250.jpg

If anybody would like to help me out, that would be sick!

When I bought it the thing was on a 32:1 ratio. What should it be at? I found 45:1 and 50:1 is good.

EDIT: I just found out how to configure the chain so I deleted the picture and question. Sorry, I'm still googleing around.

I think I should find youtube instructional videos on how to check bearings if I can find it.

The suspension seems nice and smooth, no crunching

I don't want to kill this thing! It starts up pretty much few kicks.

If there anything I SHOULD know about this that any of you have in mind, please share :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot looking forward to cruisin the forum!

Edited by jimbosliced
title change

unless you are a racer or have cash to burn, stick to 32:1 and keep an eye on coolant level and she wil g ive you many hours of fun. Pull off ignition cover {shifter side} and tug up and down on the flywheel, you should feel no play. put the bike on a stand and try to wiggle the back wheel left to right. If wheel moves, bad bearrings, if swingarm moves, bad arm bearrings. Now try to barely move rear wheel upward, if it moves slightly before feeling resistance from shock, linkage bushings are worn

Thanks a lot man. I took a look in the air filter, there was a mouse nest.. So I'm ordering a new filter and should probably clean out the carb. I'll take a look at all that possibly tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Nice bike congrats...I just went through a 93 rm 250 and love it better than the 02 wr 250f i use to have.

grease the linkage & swingarm, dial in susp. and keep her running and you'll have some great fun!

yeah

got a 91 here, pretty much the same

aaawesome bike!

i have mine over 2 years now, my first bike.

no serious probs. Just changed the piston couple of times

and this winter i'm opening her up to check the gearbox and crankshaft, no problems though, just maintenance.

if you keep her reving the power is awesome, did a couple of races now and daaamn

when you're standing in the paddocks between all those new bikes they are like ***

till the gates drop :thumbsup:

results

first race; 9/20

2nd race; 17/27 (this one i drove a class higher as normal)

last one; 13/31

love it to beat those new 450's!

just when the track is becoming heavy my suspension is trying his best, but it's just not the same as a new bike. Good learning though!

old 2stroke ftw (y)

btw, i even know a guy who is riding his 88' suzuki 250 in the internationals class. Highest class here before you go international like the european championship or the gp's

Good bike thats for sure, had one back in 89 when new.

Keep an eye out for large chunks of metal in the oil, the hard facing on the gears let go in mine.

Only fault it had.

:thumbsup:

Dave

bikedown.jpg

Ok so the first real nice day since I bought it (Wednesday) I rode up to the gas station with my buddy's artic cat 400. On the way back the piston seized up! The crank was stuck so I took apart the top end. The crank moves maybe 1/16" side to side, and there is no metal that I can see below the top. That tells me the case is fine? Here is a picture of the piston:

bustonpiston.jpg

The circlip was like friction welded in between the wrist pin and piston. It was nasty to get it out. Hopefully I can just get a new top end rebuild kit and move on.

I have a buddy taking the cylinder and seeing if they can hone it back to life. If not does anybody know how hard it is to replace the sleeve jug? I looked at it and I don't see how I'd be able to get it out. This is what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130407526389

I want my awesome dirt bike back to life! I was just getting it dialed in!!!:thumbsup:

Edited by jimbosliced

bikedown.jpg

Ok so the first real nice day since I bought it (Wednesday) I rode up to the gas station with my buddy's artic cat 400. On the way back the piston seized up! The crank was stuck so I took apart the top end. The crank moves maybe 1/16" side to side, and there is no metal that I can see below the top. That tells me the case is fine? Here is a picture of the piston:

bustonpiston.jpg

The rings or clips were like friction welded in between the bearing and piston. It was nasty to get it out. Hopefully I can just get a new top end rebuild kit and move on.

I have a buddy taking the cylinder and seeing if they can hone it back to life. If not does anybody know how hard it is to replace the sleeve jug? I looked at it and I don't see how I'd be able to get it out. This is what I'm talking about.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130407526389

I want my awesome dirt bike back to life! I was just getting it dialed in!!!:thumbsup:

Not sure on interchangeability ----

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-SUZUKI-RM250-CYLINDER-TOP-END-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3366e1d39dQQitemZ220769407901QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

An 88 cylinder listed above...

I would stay with a plated cylinder, it is cheaper in the long run with boring, the fact that sleeved cylinders do not cool, lubricate, ports match up and are pain when it comes time to top-end = more money on boring and finding someone to do it right.

I do not understand the current trend, but these 'chop-shops' on Auction Sites take a perfectly running race bike and PIECE MEAL it out. 98% of all of the parts will rot/rust away in bins because they will never sell, it seems like such a waste and it is going to bring a demise to used 2 stroke bikes. Good for us who own them with re-sale, bad in the fact the pool is drying up.

I believe the 89 was redesigned quite abit from 88 but it would not hurt checking, since that cylinder is listed as 'good' and it would be cheaper going that solution than fooling with sleeves and mis-matched ports and the fact they do not run the same.

Just my thoughts of riding sleeved bikes, they do not perform the same.

That ebay posting is for a 98. I have no idea how to tell if I would be able to use it anyway. I thought mine had a sleeve... guess not lol..

Hopefully my buddy receives good news on being able to hone it back to life. I have no idea what I will be able to do if not... I guess thats where I stand now

That ebay posting is for a 98. I have no idea how to tell if I would be able to use it anyway. I thought mine had a sleeve... guess not lol..

Hopefully my buddy receives good news on being able to hone it back to life. I have no idea what I will be able to do if not... I guess thats where I stand now

Sorry I am blind it would not work, I bet you can find one from one of those places.

They take perfectly good bikes and disassemble them and sell the parts, heck a lot of the parts are near retail price...

If anything just have the cylinder re-plated it will be cheaper in the long run and last longer...

Just my opinion, you use 1 piston and never have to worry about boring or finding a piston...

yeah

honing is a bad idee.. it's not just a steel cylinder, i has nikasil over it

when you hone, you take away 0.04mm of your cylinder, or in this case your nikasil. I did it once with my cylinder, took it to 67.06mm in stead of the standard 67.00 bore. Nikasil stilled looked good and all, but the biggest trouble was finding a piston big enough.. i took the bigges os from prox, but still, low compression and heavy wearing on the piston.

replate that cylinder man! pistons will last double so long :thumbsup:

and the biggest question of course, why did it seize up???

what's your mix ratio? full synthetic 2stroke oil i hope? clean and oiled airfilter?

checked the sparkplug colour? is your jetting ok?

You can hone but you need an aluminum oxide hone and all you want to do is de-glaze it. Just looking at your piston, you most likely need to replate. You do NOT want to try and remove scratches on a plated cylinder. What did you pay for the bike?

You can hone but you need an aluminum oxide hone and all you want to do is de-glaze it. Just looking at your piston, you most likely need to replate. You do NOT want to try and remove scratches on a plated cylinder. What did you pay for the bike?

This is looking worse and worse lol... I paid 700 for the bike last wednesday.. :thumbsup:

So what exactly am I searching for.. The top end cylinder? Is there a more specific name I could search to find it with more ease? Thanks a lot everyone for the help

you don't need a new cylinder

you can get it replated!

i don't know where you're from but over here it costs about 250€

and from what i here in america you can get it done for like 200$

Get it replated (not re-sleeved) and be done with it. Should cost around $200 (plus piston) and it will be like new again. Put a GOOD piston in it and clean / oil the air filter frequently and you should avoid this problem in the future. Get a Wiseco dual ring piston (out of a RMX) and run that instead of the single ring setup. Two rings = better seal = longer life. Suzukis seem to like the forged Wisecos better than ProX or OEM cast pistons.

The piston seized b/c the ring was worn out. Blowby (hot gasses from combustion) scorched the piston. Side to side play in the crank is normal. Up and down is bad.

FWIW: The RM250 was completely new in 1989. About the only parts from the 88 that fit were the gas cap and the drain plug. Most parts from 89 to 1992 are interchangable. The basic platform lived through 1998 in the form of the RMX cross-country model.

I'm so glad I signed up on this site.. Thank you guys very much. The cylinder didn't look too bad to me. Somehow the piston took all the damage. Maybe I can send it in and the machine place that does the replating can tell me if it can just be honed. Either way I think I like the sound of replating + new piston kit. That thing would run like a champ after that

i'd keep it at 32:1 too

i even mixed my 91 rm richer

those old bikes can handle a rich premix!

i'd keep it at 32:1 too

i even mixed my 91 rm richer

those old bikes can handle a rich premix!

It's actually running great with 32:1. I'm using this: http://ltbautosports.com/spplsx3210ra.html if anybody can confirm that's good for it. It actually idles now and starts up first kick! Only problem I have now is the chain broke. I think the guide is off