Sign in to follow this  

Complete engine break-down?

Hello guys!

If my english is funny, please excuse me, I'm not a native speaker.

I was driving home from work two days ago, when all of a sudden the bike started slipping around like a drunk prom queen. I nearly fell on my ass, but skill and luck of epic proportions saved me. I looked around for oil spills, and quickly discovered that the entire back wheel was completely covered in oil. The oil came pouring out from beneath the gear box, so I quickly turned the key and sat down.

I looked at the oil drain plug, and it was intact, and sealed.

On a side note, I did a wheelie on cold engine to impress some young girls, don't know if it worked though, cause I kept going for another 500 meters before the incident occured, or atleast that was when I noticed it.

I have pictures of it, but not right here. I do realize its a long shot, but any of you have any ideas as to what might be broken?

No I could'nt really tell, cause it was oil all over. It was'nt a small leak, it was completely dry after < 1 minute. I'm gonna have to start disassemble it when I have some time off, but unfortunately I'm working my ass off, and don't know jack about repairs. I'm not handy at all.

It sounds to me as though you shut the engine down as it was still gushing out. If so a tear down may not be necessary, perhaps fix/fill and see how it goes.

You could try taking the cover off the countershaft sprocket (easy to do even if your not handy) and see if it is coming from the seal behind the sprocket. If you get the cover off you might try posting another picture of the CS sprocket area.

OK, thanks, I'll do it tomorrow then. Thanks alot for the tips, I just hope its not something that will cost a fortune to fix, like the engine torn in half with metal splinters sticking out left and right. But it _SOUNDED_ fine, so I'll hope for something easy

Another thing, if it was the countershaft sprocket, would the oil flush out like that? Would'nt it be more of a dripping?

I had a similar problem before a week, when the oil level screw went off! :thumbsup:

I can't see any oil at the side of the engine so i guess the problem is under the engine. The oil on the engine would start from the leak point. Did you check the drain plug at the frame? Remove the skid plate and see what went wrong.

By the way, nice bike, i hope it'll keep working! :thumbsup:

I had a similar problem before a week, when the oil level screw went off! :thumbsup:

I can't see any oil at the side of the engine so i guess the problem is under the engine. The oil on the engine would start from the leak point. Did you check the drain plug at the frame? Remove the skid plate and see what went wrong.

By the way, nice bike, i hope it'll keep working! :thumbsup:

I checked the drain plug, it was tight as a 6 year old. I'll find my tools and check it out when I have some spare time.

Thanks alot, it WILL keep working, I just hope the repairs won't be in the thousands...

I checked the drain plug, it was tight as a 6 year old. I'll find my tools and check it out when I have some spare time.

Thanks alot, it WILL keep working, I just hope the repairs won't be in the thousands...

There are 2 drain plugs, i believe you know it. :thumbsup: I hope you'll be lucky as i was. Find the leak, plug it, fill oil and you'll be ok!

Ok, but I just can't believe all that oil came from a drain plug. It was floodin', literally. Oh well, time will show : )

:thumbsup: You must believe it, the role of these 2 plugs is to drain the engine's oil! :thumbsup:

Well of course, but when I did the oil change, it took atleast 5 min for all the oil to clear out. Now it happened in less than 1

Def. countershaft seal. The oil to that bearing is pressurized. It can drain the engine in under a minute if it is complete failure.

You are going to find that the sprocket is loose too. When reinstalling it, do a test install with the chain off, sprocket properly torqued on. Bike in neutral, it should be easy to turn the sprocket by hand. If not, you have a bad 2nd gear bushing.

Read the FAQ at the top of the forum about this.

Def. countershaft seal. The oil to that bearing is pressurized. It can drain the engine in under a minute if it is complete failure.

You are going to find that the sprocket is loose too. When reinstalling it, do a test install with the chain off, sprocket properly torqued on. Bike in neutral, it should be easy to turn the sprocket by hand. If not, you have a bad 2nd gear bushing.

Read the FAQ at the top of the forum about this.

Thanks, I already looked at the FAQ, but I don't think this is something I will be able to do myself. Thanks alot for the answers, I was afraid the engine was broken, so this cheered me up a bit! :thumbsup:

Ok, I've been swamped with work and haven't gotten around to do anything about this until now. Called around, and there's 6-8 weeks wait on most all workshops. If anyone from Norway reads this (oslo-area) and would like to work on my bike, I will pay a handsome reward. And beers. And possibly naked girls.

I will pay a handsome reward. And beers. And possibly naked girls.

I sure do wish I was a mechanic :ride: And in Norway!:lol: