riding with a blown fork

so i want to start by saying in know it is a bad idea, but i wont have the money to rebuild the fork for about three weeks since i am a really broke college kid. i blew out the left fork on my 05 250f yestarday at the track it is leaking fork oil bad how much damage will i do if i continue to ride it on mellow trails, mostly down in moab i had a trip down there planned.

Do you have enough money for fork oil? Just keep topping it off if you can

yep i have some from the last time i rebuilt a fork, some one said that there is some valve on the top of the fork that you are supposed to top unscrew to let air out after you ride or trailer it. is this true??

Yes, it releases the pressure. They make a valve you can put in place of the screw. You just push it after every ride. makes a big differance in seal life

Drop the dust seal down and slide a feeler gauge between the fork tube and the oil seal. Work it around and clean out any dirt that is stuck in the seal. Clean the junk off the fork tube and tap the dust seal back in. This may stop the leak completely. It has worked for me in the past.

You'll probably have to replace the bushings since any dirt that goes down will wreck them. Could also ruin the plating. I would not ride it like that.

+1 ! I use an old laminated ID card (carried in gear bag) which fits and slides perfectly around the fork tube. May take a few attempts to get it all out.

Be careful not to cut your finger or damage the fork tube if you use a small flat blade screwdriver to pry/pop off the dust wiper.

Drop the dust seal down and slide a feeler gauge between the fork tube and the oil seal. Work it around and clean out any dirt that is stuck in the seal. Clean the junk off the fork tube and tap the dust seal back in. This may stop the leak completely. It has worked for me in the past.

thanks for all the ideas i am going to try them today cuz the weather sucks. just wondering where do you add the new oil, on most bikes i have worked on you just pull the cap off the top end of the fork, is this still true for the inverted forks or is it somewhere else

sorry but u gotta ask simple questions sometimes

You'll probably have to replace the bushings since any dirt that goes down will wreck them. Could also ruin the plating. I would not ride it like that.

this, a seal not only keeps oil in but keeps dirt out.