Jumping: Sit or Stand?

I know there are threads on this but i couldn't find one like I was wanting. I have been riding all of my life but just got my first bike in 4 years a few weeks ago. 2003 KX250. I almost always jump sitting down but is this the best way? Could I do better standing on the take off? I don't race, I just ride for fun with my buddies but i do like jumping anything big or small and would love some advice. For instance we have a small table top that's only about 15' (top flat part) and about 4' high and i clear it very easily sitting down but standing up I just feel so out of control and can't even clear it. I'm the same way on bigger table tops too. Any suggestions?

i am by no means a pro, not even close, but one thing that i've found really helpful is body position in relation to the bike...for instance, when i jump standing ( pretty much the only way i can jump) i'm forward on the bike, head and shoulders over top, or even forward of the bars. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the center of gravity being higher while standing, hence the need to put more mass closer to the front end, in an effort to keep it from looping out.

Also, when standing, don't lock your knees; keep them slightly bent in the attack postion/ shoulders square/ elbows up/ heck, even where your foot rests on the peg comes into play (i recommend riding on the balls of your feet)...the best solution is seat time, and i'm in the same boat when it comes to turning.

About the only time I sit jumping is for seat bouncing, and that's an area i'm just beginning to fine tune. Keep riding, it'll come to you!

• Like 1

well i've never seen it like this before. When I first started jumping I could only stand, heck I didnt even start seat bouncing until like a full year or two into riding only tracks a few times a week to feel comfortable sitting down. When standing be centered on the bike if not a little forward. The reason you probably arent making the same gap is because your absorbing some of the rebound with your legs.

dmm...it does seem like i've learned backwards from everyone else but sitting just came natural and felt better so that's how i've always done it. I'm just going to have to make myself stand up over and over and maybe i'll like it better than sitting. I just figured since it seemed like everyone else stands on most jumps that i was missing something. thanks for the advice ya'll

i know way too many people that have busted pretty bad doing jumps while sitting down. whenever i sit down my front end almost always dives forward. standing up i have way more control and i can make the bike do whatever i want in the air. i just bend my knees slightly and grip the tank with my knees.

• Like 1

You do land standing up though, right? I've had the wind knocked out of me a few times landing sitting down, it isn't very fun.

Yea I stand up as soon as i leave the face of the jump and keep standing through the landing. Also I had a buddy come riding yesterday and he told me that the faces of the jumps that I'm making are too steep. Could that be a reason that it's hard to stand during the take off?

Well, maybe. As you hit the face, if it is too steep or progressively slopes too fast, then it could throw you towards the front of the bike (Which is where you want to be, but being forced to the front before takeoff could make you feel like you don't have control). Make sure your suspension is all set up for you too, that could make it uncomfortable to stand.

• 1 year later...

There is no answer for should I sit or stand. It all depends on the specific situation and jump you are doing.

As a novice (or completely beginner) as it sounds you are, sitting is a BAD habbit to get into. It may work for you on these small table tops you are hitting, but all it's going to take is one new jump to eject you over the bars. If you're not comfortable standing up while hitting a 15' jump, you need to practice bike control on flat ground. Not trying to hate on you, but I've seen too may new riders get hurt by trying to progress too fast. Heck, I've hauled several to the hospital that wrecked over jumps that are less than 20 feet.

Work in a corner track and ride the whole thing standing up. Learn to squeeze with your legs for control. When you feel comfortable, ride that same corner track standing up with one hand. Again, squeeze with the legs for control.

Set you sag on the suspension and have a better rider do a few laps on your bike to make sure it is setup somewhat close. Bad suspension will make things 10x harder when learning. Stay with it, once you get the feel you'll progress quickly with confidence.

• Like 1

i am by no means a pro, not even close, but one thing that i've found really helpful is body position in relation to the bike...for instance, when i jump standing ( pretty much the only way i can jump) i'm forward on the bike, head and shoulders over top, or even forward of the bars. I'm guessing that it has something to do with the center of gravity being higher while standing, hence the need to put more mass closer to the front end, in an effort to keep it from looping out.

Also, when standing, don't lock your knees; keep them slightly bent in the attack postion/ shoulders square/ elbows up/ heck, even where your foot rests on the peg comes into play (i recommend riding on the balls of your feet)...the best solution is seat time, and i'm in the same boat when it comes to turning.

About the only time I sit jumping is for seat bouncing, and that's an area i'm just beginning to fine tune. Keep riding, it'll come to you!

^^^ this is good advice

the only time you should be sitting down is during corners, other than that you should always be in the attacking position

If the take off face is steep then, no you shouldn't be standing, more like squatting. You should have your butt like 1-2 inches off the seat.

If the face of the jump is really steep, then i'd sit and seat bounce it.... Be careful tho, this can kick your back end up too high and hurt you.

The best thing to do is to find a place with a smooth, neutral jump and try standing on it. You shouldn't force yourself to stand.

And like someone else already said, STAY LOOSE! Don't lock your arms, wrists, grip, or legs, it can get you in a hurt locker really quick.

If you are standing, it is easier to be in the central location and load the bike evenly, so that you dont jump nose high, or endo. If you balance the lean of your body against the acceleration of the bike (or deceleration) you will find that you are pretty well centered on the bike. The key thing is that the "central location" is always different. If you are absolutly pinned in the meat of the power band...the central location, or the balanced location will be way way out over the front. If you are coasting or even dragging the rear brake...the central or balanced location will be with your head low...but your hips back. Basically...as you load into the jump face...you want to have your body lean such that there is NO push or pull on your hands. Basically...you are balanced perfectly on the pegs...whether accelerating or decelerating. If you just think about having 'loose hands' as you load into a jump face...you will be pretty well located on the bike, and you should not have to correct much. You will be in balance on the pegs.

When you are sitting, the whole balance thing goes out the window...because you have most weight on the seat, and you lose that natural feed back mechanism to tell you that you are in balance. When standing...if you balance against the pegs...you will be close. Seated...you can be too far forward...or too far back...and there is no direct feedback to help you correct it. You have to choose the position more conciously. That is why it is easier to make a mistake and get in trouble sitting.

Finally simply jumping while sitting is NOT seat bouncing. Just because you are coming out of a corner, and dont have time to stand before a jump does not meant you are seat bouncing. Seat bouncing is a specific technique to spike the rear even more...to get more pop off a jump face. If you do not need to seat bounce to clear an obstacle...then doing it is nonsense.

Pros of standing:

1. Easier to "get it right"

2. Easier to adjust jump intensity (espeically the ability to absorb, or reduce height/distance)

Cons of standing

1. You can not jump as high/far on most jumps

2. Always trying to stand up before evey jump can tire you out.

Pros of sitting

1. More height distance because more of your weight spikes into the rear.

2. Saves energy

Cons of sitting:

1. Easier to screw up and be out of position when loading into the face, and getting into trouble

2. You are not going to be able to reduce height/distance.

Pros of seat bouncing

1. Even more distance and height than just simply sitting

Cons of seat bouncing

1. Very specialized technique that requires lots of skill to execute..and lots of skill to corrent when things go slightly off.

My own progression:

1. Learn to jump well standing, including normal jumps, adding height and distance by preloading..and reducing height and distance by absorbing

2. Learn to jump seated, paying special attanetion to developing tactile feedback mechanisms on the bike so you can position your body correctly. I am just starting this stage

3. Seat bouncing. Get comfortable jumping seated before you start trying to execute a real seat bounce (conciously sitting your butt at the back of the seat at the same time you pull back on the bars to spike the rear). I have only tried a few times, and jumped really nose high. I am not good enough correcting nose high atitude yet...so I dont even mess with this now. In the future sure...but not now.

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 1

usually the run up to the jump determines whether you should be sitting or standing. For just about every jump face you can hit it sitting or standing. What you do during the run up and on the face might be different. I have yet to see a jump that i couldn't hit both sitting and standing. Sometimes one choice is clearly faster, or the run up won't allow for sitting, but at the track 99% of jumps can be hit both ways.

Edited by Die_trying
  • Like 3