Sign in to follow this  

2000 CR250 Ground up rebuild

Okay i am getting ready to rebuild this bike with a buddy of mine. It's his bike. Bought a crap load of new parts. Only using some old parts but it should look like a brand new bike when we are done with it. Anyways i want to try and rejet it too while it's getting built. Bought a FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore 2 shorty silencer, boyenson rad valve, K&N Filter, and the motor is gonna be fresh also. Could someone point me in a close direction for jetting the bike. Also bought a moose carb kit cause my needle was damaged. Any info will be greatly appriciated and i hope you all will follow this build. Heres a pic to get you started.

100_3188.jpg

Right now the front tire is off getting a new tire put on the rim, also new tire getting put on the back along with wheel bearings. Trying to get the frame polished up the best i can!!

Edited by aaronjohn20

Okay i am getting ready to rebuild this bike with a buddy of mine. It's his bike. Bought a crap load of new parts. Only using some old parts but it should look like a brand new bike when we are done with it. Anyways i want to try and rejet it too while it's getting built. Bought a FMF Gnarly pipe, powercore 2 shorty silencer, boyenson rad valve, K&N Filter, and the motor is gonna be fresh also. Could someone point me in a close direction for jetting the bike. Also bought a moose carb kit cause my needle was damaged. Any info will be greatly appriciated and i hope you all will follow this build. Heres a pic to get you started.

100_3188.jpg

Right now the front tire is off getting a new tire put on the rim, also new tire getting put on the back along with wheel bearings. Trying to get the frame polished up the best i can!!

What did you use on the frame? Looks great.

Here are a few pics of some of the new stuff bought.

2000CR250001.jpg2000CR250002.jpg2000CR250003.jpg2000CR250004.jpg

Here is the stuff i have been using to clean the frame up with.

2000CR250005.jpg

I'd start with 45 pilot, needle on second clip, 175 main and go from there. don't know your elevation but this assumes sea level. you will probably have to lean out the main more though as I see you have a Rad valve too but it should be a good starting point.

Old pipe in good shape? want to sell it? Thanks.

The pipe is a Bills pipe if i'm not mistaken. There is a very small hole in the expansion chamber that i'm sure could be fixed. I will put a pic up after a bit.

I'd start with 45 pilot, needle on second clip, 175 main and go from there. don't know your elevation but this assumes sea level. you will probably have to lean out the main more though as I see you have a Rad valve too but it should be a good starting point.

Yeah i'm only about 830 foot above sea level. Thanks for the info. I guess i will have to open the carb up and see what jets it's got and check the clip position and open the moose carb kit up and see what needle it come with and what jets it come with also.

WHGEORGE- Buddy asked what you'd pay for it, so i will get a pic of it up tomorrow and we can go from there if you are interested.

Okay, buddy come over tonight and we got new white pre-cut backrounds put on. Got the subframe put on. The front number plate on, the side number plates, the tag handle bars, and the airbox along with numbers on the panels. Opened the carb up also and found a 180 main and a 48 pilot with the needle 2nd clip from the top. More to come.

2000CR250011.jpg2000CR250010.jpg2000CR250009.jpg2000CR250008.jpg2000CR250007.jpg2000CR250006.jpg2000CR250012.jpg

So the carb kit that i bought come with stock needle and jets. I have a 170 and 175 main jet laying around so i guess i am going to have to go out and buy a 45 pilot. Good thing i had a guy order some for my 1997 RM125. Just haven't went and got em yet. Quick question though. My RM has a 172 main and a 48 pilot. Why would a RM125 and a CR250 jet almost the same?

So the carb kit that i bought come with stock needle and jets. I have a 170 and 175 main jet laying around so i guess i am going to have to go out and buy a 45 pilot. Good thing i had a guy order some for my 1997 RM125. Just haven't went and got em yet. Quick question though. My RM has a 172 main and a 48 pilot. Why would a RM125 and a CR250 jet almost the same?

no idea but I've seen people who use the pwk Carb jet pretty similar to each other even across brands. you would think the 125 would jet differently though but weirder things have happened.

alright well we got some more of the bike done last night. Will post some more pics after a bit

okay so i have a question for you honda freaks out there. My buddys got his rear rim so i have no clue what he's talking about but he said there is some special tool you need to remove the bearings in the rear. Something like a spanner wrench?????? I have no clue. If anyone knows whats up could you please fill me in and also if i do need a special tool, could you let me know where to get one? Thanks alot. So here are a few more pics of the bike along with a couple other bikes.

WELCOME TO MY DISASTER AREA

2000CR250029.jpg

Here's a pic of my project i will get around to one of these days.

2000CR250030.jpg

Fresh rebuilt and cleaned keihin pwk carb

2000CR250026.jpg2000CR250027.jpg2000CR250028.jpg

My 1997 Rm125

2000CR250032.jpg2000CR250013.jpg2000CR250018.jpg

My wife's 01 YZ125

2000CR250031.jpg

And what you guys have been waiting on. Here are some pics i just took of the 00 CR250. Sorry the process has been slow, but i am currently waiting on getting the motor back from the shop and the fmf shorty silencer is on back order.

2000CR250019.jpg2000CR250020.jpg2000CR250021.jpg2000CR250022.jpg2000CR250023.jpg2000CR250024.jpg2000CR250025.jpg

Thanks to all for following and i hope to get this thing up and running soon. I need to get my garage cleaned out!!!!! LOL

No to change your rear wheel bearing you do not need that tool. I just use a hammer and some screw drivers and and get up underneath the bearing and keep on hitting the hammer until the bearings come out.

i think i am going to try it without the tool first and if i have to then i will buy it

i would get the tool , its easy to mar the threads on the hub and then you can't get the retainer back in .. hope you read this before you try using a hammer and some type of punch or worse a screw driver

My first thought was a brass punch but decided against it and the tool is on the way

Please make sure you drill out the two little peenes right in the thread line, then you dont need the tool.After you replace bearings make sure you re-stake the threadline or you risk it it backing out! I also have a 87 rm 250,let me know if you need any parts,brand new pc pipe!