350SXF - Race Bike Build

Well after about a month and a half as proud owner of the new 11 350 SXF, its about time I post some pictures of the 'build in progress'. Though I have yet to even start up the bike, I've had the machine torn down naked for the past month or so waiting on parts and doing a little weight treatment plan on the bike.

Though the bike in stock form is fairly lightweight, there is always room for improvement so I machined out some Titanium 'mini flange' bolts for the Upper and Lower Triple Clamps: 40% weight savings over OEM bolts

Upper:

350SXF-Up3Ti.jpg

Lower:

350SXF-Low3Ti.jpg

Replaced the OEM Clutch Cover w/ a Hinson Billet Aluminum Model w/ Integrated Billet Oil Fill Plug for cosmetic purposes:

HC2.jpg

More to come as the build continues....

Edited by FWC

Lightweight battery is highly effective at losing weight. Or just putting a kickstarter on it.

The Ti spring really is only about 1.5# but would help. Aftermarket shocks might be lighter. Single spring Showa style forks are supposed to be about 2# lighter.

Tubeless wheels by Alpina w/ Pirelli low pro tires would save quite a bit in the most important place on the bike.

Ti exhaust.

I don't see anything else making any difference.

I spent a bunch of money on ti pegs 2x and they freakin' wear out so it's no good.

How are you saving any weight swaping a mag clutch cover for a billet aluminum cover??

Yea, what he said. Where's all the real weight savings?

Try a lighter battery, Ti exhaust and you'll save roughly 4 lbs. I'd really like to take off the electric starter and know that KTM sells the kit, but I can't tell if it's merely designed to be an add on to the existing starter or can you in fact remove all this stuff?

You all are correct on the clutch cover, but I never claimed it shaved weight, that was simply part of the 'build' I was talking about.

I guess I should have re-phrased the title to my thread as all of the modifications are NOT to shave weight. Sorry for the confusion.

As I get time, I will be machining out and replacing all 'factorable' hardware with Titanium as it has various benefits.

To move forward, here is the exhaust I chose to go with: Akrapovic Full System Titanium

35-Akra.jpg

I'm opting to keep the electric start only for convenience reasons, but will be going with a lightweight battery. Anyone have experience with anything out there that actually shaves weight and as reliable?

For the wheels I went with Rad billet hubs and Excel A60 rims. In essence I actually added weight here, but the overall strength in this area is an improvement over OEM.

More to come if the interest follows.....

Interestingly enough the OE ktm springs are VERY light.

Compared to the other OE's - and even the OE kyb ti spring - they are pretty impressive. They used a thin material diameter but few coils to get the correct spring rate...

Stresses the steel harder - but obviously it holds up for them.

Should be a sweet bike when your done...any plans for engine work?

Thanks for the Ti spring lead, I'm going to look into that a bit tomorrow. I'm still playing with the suspension plans as the Ohlins TTX setup was what I was planning to go with.

Since this is our first real bike build, we're really taking things slower than usual just to get a feel for what each modification gives as far as value to the bike. I have to admit, most of my experience the past 10 years has been in the quad market.

As far as engine work, right now I'm really only doing the exhaust, filter cage gut, and some digging in to the FI system. As a long time user of CP, I've been in contact with them about getting ahold of one of the first pistons to come off there line, so I'll be installing one of those when they are ready. ( Told about 4 weeks yet ) I haven't yet decided on whether I'm going to do porting or not, but that is always something I may fall back on as well.

All of my past quad engines have been full blown race built, so I'm all to schooled on the benefits of digging deeper, but to start I need to see what this little 350 has for somewhat 'stock power' with minor bolt ons.

Thanks for the interest guys... any help/ideas or suggestions are appreciated!

You all are correct on the clutch cover, but I never claimed it shaved weight, that was simply part of the 'build' I was talking about.

I guess I should have re-phrased the title to my thread as all of the modifications are NOT to shave weight. Sorry for the confusion.

As I get time, I will be machining out and replacing all 'factorable' hardware with Titanium as it has various benefits.

To move forward, here is the exhaust I chose to go with: Akrapovic Full System Titanium

35-Akra.jpg

I'm opting to keep the electric start only for convenience reasons, but will be going with a lightweight battery. Anyone have experience with anything out there that actually shaves weight and as reliable?

For the wheels I went with Rad billet hubs and Excel A60 rims. In essence I actually added weight here, but the overall strength in this area is an improvement over OEM.

More to come if the interest follows.....

check out these batteries. they are way lighter then the stock battery and performed better in tests. i dont own yet but this is what i will be getting when i need to replace my current battery. i held one of these and couldnt believe how light it was.

http://www.super-b.com/

Look great and all but for $800+ I would rather throw a kicker on the bike and deal with kick starting.

Edit: I found the battery I'm going with. Ordering it this afternoon.

Full Spectrum Genesis G1

Genesis-P1.jpg

Only weights 380 grams!

Look great and all but for $800+ I would rather throw a kicker on the bike and deal with kick starting.

Edit: I found the battery I'm going with. Ordering it this afternoon.

Full Spectrum Genesis G1

Genesis-P1.jpg

Only weights 380 grams!

how much is that one? the Super B battery was $230 at my local ktm shop. the $800 one is probably for a race car or something.

BTW, nice graphics:thumbsup:

LOL.....I'm so broke I opted for the training in the hot Texas sun without the gym membership.

Jason

lol i have a gym membership, but im thinking i may cancel it for a cheaper gym lol. 35 bucks a month cuts into my riding budget!

i opted for a gym membership lots of riding and training

Haha... good call! Being 170 and 6'2", I'm about as in shape as I can get, it just comes down to riding for me now. With these rain/snow showers we've been having in the midwest, its been impossible to get out and ride, so tweaking in the shop is where its at for now.

infamy: The Spectrum G1 is right at about $160ish for price. This battery is what the factory ktm sx bikes run, only they use a little different configuration for their battery box setup.