Starter Clutch?

Can someone tell me how this works, or how to check it? I see it's on the back side of the flywheel and do not see from looking at the service manual how this item works. I have read through this section due to a problem with the 650L not starting. The starter motor turns but the engine does not. Drop the bike in gear and it has compression but no apparent resistance on the starter motor. I took apart the starter gear cover area and all looks good in there but the manual suggests a bad starter clutch when starter motor turns but engine does not. What can make this part go bad?:thumbsup:

Can someone tell me how this works, or how to check it? I see it's on the back side of the flywheel and do not see from looking at the service manual how this item works. I have read through this section due to a problem with the 650L not starting. The starter motor turns but the engine does not. Drop the bike in gear and it has compression but no apparent resistance on the starter motor. I took apart the starter gear cover area and all looks good in there but the manual suggests a bad starter clutch when starter motor turns but engine does not. What can make this part go bad?:thumbsup:

There is a one-way bearing in the back of the flywheel..........pull the stator cover try turning the big ring gear,it should only turn one way......if it turns both ways without turning the flywheel......the bearing is toast......

B

Edited by brianhare

Thanks Bro!