01 CR250-turning

Any tips on getting this bike to turn better. Have suspension dialed and happy with the action but for some reason the bike just does not seem to turn as well now. I have forks at the line rec by Honda, can I slide them up any higher safely? Stock .44 fork springs and 5.3 shock spring. Bike just wants to run wide on exit of corners especially on flat ground. Dirt condition does not seem to matter. I really, really dislike front end wash, makes me very nervous. Thanks.

sag, check it, those 00-01 turn on a dime

are those springs right for your weight?

springs perfect. Have had this bike since '02. Seems to have gone sour since revalve.

check your rebound then, it sounds like your forks are not settling in while your in the corner

that's a trade off with roughness when your hitting small choppy stuff, it'll setttle further in the stroke

Been thinking about that along with a cpl more clicks of ls shock comp. Thanks.

That too , if you have your comp. to stiff it won`t set in to the trun.

learn how to ride.........Just kidding

Run a short chain and slide the rear wheel forward along with raising forks. If you really want to get after it get 22 or even 20 mm ofset triples, you have 24s.

If you had gen 3 forks you could run an rekluse eaxle and adjust your offset where you want it for a given track.

I just switched my 2000 cr250 to a tubliss set up and that with proper cornering technique has her sticking quite well with good rubber.

learn how to ride.........Just kidding

Run a short chain and slide the rear wheel forward along with raising forks. If you really want to get after it get 22 or even 20 mm ofset triples, you have 24s.

If you had gen 3 forks you could run an rekluse eaxle and adjust your offset where you want it for a given track.

I just switched my 2000 cr250 to a tubliss set up and that with proper cornering technique has her sticking quite well with good rubber.

I had an 01 and it handled awsome. Never felt like the front end was going to wash. Just keep making small adjustments and only adjust one thing at a time. If you change too many things at once you won't know which one helped. Good Luck

Check the spokes in the front wheel make sure they are tight. Also if it started after a fork revalve maybe they are too soft, i have found that stiff forks turn better for me than soft forks. Pay attention and try and see if when you go to turn if the forks are droping into the stroke and loosing traction. I have got forks too soft before and as i would turn the forks would start droping down into the stroke and loose traction and wash out, a few clicks stiffer would help. Sand wound make it worse. If that is what is happening try adjusting your bars back alittle and it will keep you from getting too much wieght too foward making it worse.

Check the spokes in the front wheel make sure they are tight. Also if it started after a fork revalve maybe they are too soft, i have found that stiff forks turn better for me than soft forks. Pay attention and try and see if when you go to turn if the forks are droping into the stroke and loosing traction. I have got forks too soft before and as i would turn the forks would start droping down into the stroke and loose traction and wash out, a few clicks stiffer would help. Sand wound make it worse. If that is what is happening try adjusting your bars back alittle and it will keep you from getting too much wieght too foward making it worse.

What??? Are you saying we have been wrong all these years. Everybody pull that step seat off and lean back to get more bite on the front tire.

oh no, absolutely not. I was attempting to trouble shoot a problem that the only info i have is someone trying to explain what is going on with the front end washing out and he is not trusting the bike because it is so bad, unpredictable and unless i got the info wrong it starting after a fork revalve. i know from experience that if you soften up you forks and go to far they become really hard to ride and if you ride like you supposed to with overly soft forks they can drop down into the stroke unexpectantly you can bust you ass for no apparent reason. So i was just suggesting to try it to find out if it stopped the trouble and if it did thit is a good sign you have too soft forks and they need to be stiffen up to cure the problem.

But hey come to think of it Ricky had them bars laied in his lap and on that cr250 that he was railing the outside of corners wide open.

Try going in 1/2 turn or more on the high speed comp adjuster on the shock. It is kind of the same thing as setting the sag lower (rear end higher) in that it raises the rear and makes it turn better. Use is as a diagnostic tool. if it fixes the turning problem but maked the rear feel harsh then you at least know that the problem is the front to rear ballance and correct it with other settings. This made a huge difference on my 97 250 that is known for this exact problem. I ended up setting sag to about 100mm raising the forks and then dialing in the turning using the HS adjuster. Do some research about the HS adjuster, it can make a huge difference in the turning.

oh no, absolutely not. I was attempting to trouble shoot a problem that the only info i have is someone trying to explain what is going on with the front end washing out and he is not trusting the bike because it is so bad, unpredictable and unless i got the info wrong it starting after a fork revalve. i know from experience that if you soften up you forks and go to far they become really hard to ride and if you ride like you supposed to with overly soft forks they can drop down into the stroke unexpectantly you can bust you ass for no apparent reason. So i was just suggesting to try it to find out if it stopped the trouble and if it did thit is a good sign you have too soft forks and they need to be stiffen up to cure the problem.

But hey come to think of it Ricky had them bars laied in his lap and on that cr250 that he was railing the outside of corners wide open.

I agree with your assesment of the forks maybe too soft but weight forward is good and even Ricky realized he was wrong and changed his bike set up. The only reason Ricky could ride with that setup is because he is Ricky. He could probally pass me on the outside if we took his bars and front wheel off.

after ricky's last race they put his bike up after cleaning and didn't change a thing and when it was time to start testing for supercross season they rolled it out and ricky thought it was a joke that the bars was so low and said he could never have rode like that. His bars got that low by week after week testing and changing things to get faster. my point is sometimes it is good to have the bars foward and sometimes it not. the speed he was carring around turns having the bars low like made the bike more stable because the wieght was more to the back and turn slower that's how he was able to blast turn wide open without the front washing out he was basically turning with his rear tire. now don't get me wrong, laying our bars down like that is not going to make any of us ride like ricky, that was just a example of how bar position makes a differance. mike alessi had the bars way foward on his rmz450 a few years when he won the first 4 races. i was telling a friend how his bike looked like it was on a hinge, it looked like he had every bit of his wieght over the front wheel and the rear was behind him bouncing from side to side and his front would wash bad in one turn and the next he would rail the inside. i told my friend if he don't move the bars back he was going to get hurt. i think it was the next week or next he crashed and messed his knee up and it went down hill fron there. final point, just test and come up with what makes you fill best and likely that where you will ride the fastest even if it is not what everybody recomends like bar position,sag, or what ever. I use to set my sag to 105mm for years. I started testing different sag position and now i'm not even close to 105mm. i found the bike felt better to me with the rear low, i ride faster and lasted longer.

Try going in 1/2 turn or more on the high speed comp adjuster on the shock. It is kind of the same thing as setting the sag lower (rear end higher) in that it raises the rear and makes it turn better. Use is as a diagnostic tool. if it fixes the turning problem but maked the rear feel harsh then you at least know that the problem is the front to rear ballance and correct it with other settings. This made a huge difference on my 97 250 that is known for this exact problem. I ended up setting sag to about 100mm raising the forks and then dialing in the turning using the HS adjuster. Do some research about the HS adjuster, it can make a huge difference in the turning.
I think this may be the secret, will test it this week. Thanks to all.:thumbsup:

Have you talked to the people that set up your suspension? Tell them what you are experiencing and they should point you in the right direction. They know what they changed.

Have you talked to the people that set up your suspension? Tell them what you are experiencing and they should point you in the right direction. They know what they changed.
More than I wanted to. Gave up after sending them back three times.
More than I wanted to. Gave up after sending them back three times.

Sorry, that sucks!

did you tell them what was wrong? I dont mean "it does not turn"

I mean what exactly was wrong, rebound?