Where could my clutch fluid go - 07 450 XC

The bike is new to me so I'm not sure there is a big problem yet. I have only rode a few trips up and down the street while I was getting my signals installed and then registered. Today with a brand new plate I rode it to work and everything was fine, until I went to go to lunch. I put it into gear and it started to creep and by the time I made it home the clutch barely worked at all.

I will be getting new fluid and flushing/bleeding it tonight.

But my question is - Is there something I should look out for, common issues, etc? Everywhere looks clean and dry.

Thanks

There are 2 different hydraulic clutch brands used on KTMs. One uses DOT 4 brake fluid the other uses mineral oil. If the previous owner put it the wrong fluid you could be looking at a rebuild.

It will say on the reservoir what type of fluid to use. I would flush it out with the correct fluid and see how it does.

check for leaks

some have a weep hole down at the slave, my 08 magura setup does

I had a leak on the slave on an 03-450sx with magura system. The slave was worn and leaked into the crankcase. Pull the slave and check the action with your thumb, then bleed and replace fluid to check for leaks.

I ended up buying a hand vacuum pump to bleed this and brakes. Turns a total fluid replacement into a 5 minute job.

if ur loosing fluid w/ no apparent leaks it's the slave leaking into the case...

...usally w/ some searching u can find just the o-rings from earlier years(there's even a slightly oversized o-ring) otherwise on the newer parts list KTM wants u to buy the whole slave assembly. :confused:

if the bore is trashed beyond just resurfacing and a larger o-ring then u need to replace the whole slave assembly.

:thumbsup:

and if it is a brake fluid sytem going into the gear box you need to get the brake fluid flushed out of the gear box before it causes damage.

If mineral oil magura, no need to flush the case. You also don't need the $9 per bottle fluid. Unscented mineral oil from walgreens works just find.

If you find the replacement orings, please let me know. I couldn't and had to go the slave replacement route. Would love to rebuild the old slave and have ready to go in the toolbox.

Wow...quite a few replies....I thought I had this set up instant notification and hadn't got any emails...so thanks all and I will try to follow up better.

I bought the magura service kit with syringes (but may try walgreens next time)

I bled it but I don't think I got all the air out as the syringe or the operator didn't work very reliable.

I hadn't changed the oil since I bought it so I did that after I bled the clutch and couldn't tell if any had leaked, but it so it might not be obvious.

Anyway after the bleeding and oil change I went for about a 25 mile ride and the clutch worked bit seemed a little off, soggy maybe. Also if I'm a little harder on the gas the clutch seems to slip a little. I can hear/feel it.

Thanks again to all

the slip may be a worn clutch or it is slightly possible that if it had water in the system it could expand with heat and push the slave piston a little. Air would not make it slip but would make it feel sloppy or mushy at the lever.

the slip may be a worn clutch or it is slightly possible that if it had water in the system it could expand with heat and push the slave piston a little. Air would not make it slip but would make it feel sloppy or mushy at the lever.

Yeah I'm worried about a worn clutch. My plan is to get the hydraulics squared away and then hope the clutch works until I can put in a rekluse.

If you find the replacement orings, please let me know. I couldn't and had to go the slave replacement route. Would love to rebuild the old slave and have ready to go in the toolbox.

Clutch Slave Cylinder COVER O-Ring, 30,00X1,50MM ............. KTM P/N 770300015

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring 23.52 X 1.78 mm .......................KTM P/N 770020210

Clutch Slave Cylinder O-Ring (oversize) 23.00 X 2.00 mm .........KTM P/N 770230020

:thumbsup:

Thanks. SMS said they were no longer available to order. I'll try online.