Sign in to follow this  

How much work is a kx250f

Hey guys, I ride 2T's but i was considering buying a kx250f next.

The only things i dont like about 4T's are the cost and the difficulty for working on them.

Is it not that bad or is it really bad?

Thanks

-bai

Our last new KX250F was in 2009 spent right at 2200.00 on motor and tranny in two years of racing so not our favorite machine. So far knock on wood the YZ250F has been less expensive to maintain.

yea see thats just crazy to me, i mean i understand totally, but a 2T could get a new engine for that...

Anything can happen from owner negligence, or just plain bad luck. But the KXF have no big or specific problems.

My 09 has 80 hours on it. All I have replaced is the piston and cam chain at 50 hours. Starts first kick every time. Nothing has broken. I only ride/race MX.

The engine is totally sweet, the suspension is killer, the handling is decent and it looks great. What more could you ask for from a bike of this caliber and performance?

I was the same way. Only ever owned/rode 2 strokes. I picked up a 250f used, and luckily have a friend who does valve work for a living so he fixed the head up for me and what not once I got it because the seats were on their way to being shot. As far as working on them goes, Its really cut and dry to do a top end on them you just have to make sure teh timing is on. Other then that its mindless. I was hesitant to dive into it but after a friend walked through mine with me i'd feel confident doing one on somebody elses 4 stroke no problem (i've done bottom ends on 2 strokes).

Our YZ250 made almost as many events last year as the KX250F total cost beyond normal maintance items was 200.00 a saving ten times what the KX250F cost. If we only did MX racing I think the 250F's woul last longer as most MX races cancel during inclement weather. Since 80% of our racing is two-three hour cross country events the 250F's just can't take the abuse.

With four bangers...maintenance is the number one thing....Keeping the air filter clean and the oil changed....There is just more moving parts in the four stroke vs the two stroke.....With a two stroke you can get by with not keeping the air filter clean or oil that a little old.....With the four stroke....dirt is the big killer....A dirty air filter can wear out valves and dirty oil can wear the piston & cylinder out.......Do the maintenance on a thumper....it will treat you good........

Do the maintance and it's still going to need valves, buckets, piston and cylnder at four times the rate of a two stroke. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I disagree with that based on our last ten years of racing experince. That said I can swap out a piston in a two stroke in a couple hours and spend less than 200.00 bucks. Swapping a four stroke piston is never just a piston, you need valves probably a set of springs and retainers cam buckets might as well cut those valve seats for new valves no use changing a piston and leaving that worn out timing chain in there a pile of high priced gaskets and 600.00 bucks later if you do your own labor your done. I can tell you trying to reach down into a modern four stroke to put in a piston circlip is torture. Now heaven forbid the big end bearing is loose get to split the case and hang that new rotating assembly just gotta love four strokes. Just look at the price for say a used 2009 YZ250F vs a used 2009 YZ250W1 the two stroke will bring double the price. Why? :thumbsup:

I didn't say it was easier.

We all know that doing a top end in a 4-stroke is 10 times more difficult than in a 2-stroke.

I just said it didn't have to be done as often.

But all the extra stuff you have to do in a 4-stroke offsets the frequency of replacing a piston in a 2-stroke.

I ride a 4-stroke because it fits my riding style and is just plain easier to go faster on.

I don't want to be on the clutch 24/7 riding a 125 and a 250 has more power than I want.

I disagree with that based on our last ten years of racing experince. That said I can swap out a piston in a two stroke in a couple hours and spend less than 200.00 bucks. Swapping a four stroke piston is never just a piston, you need valves probably a set of springs and retainers cam buckets might as well cut those valve seats for new valves no use changing a piston and leaving that worn out timing chain in there a pile of high priced gaskets and 600.00 bucks later if you do your own labor your done. I can tell you trying to reach down into a modern four stroke to put in a piston circlip is torture. Now heaven forbid the big end bearing is loose get to split the case and hang that new rotating assembly just gotta love four strokes. Just look at the price for say a used 2009 YZ250F vs a used 2009 YZ250W1 the two stroke will bring double the price. Why? :thumbsup:

We get that you hate 4-strokes from your own bad experiences, and everyone always mention the fun factor. Which I think is greater on a 4-stroke. I just plain can ride it faster for longer with a big smile on my face. And I learned to ride on 2-strokes, in fact my 4 first bikes were 2-strokes.

And I´ve been on KXF´s since late 2006, and never had a failure. And never replaced any valves or had any trouble.

And btw, the KXF is a motocross bike. If you run strange enduro events that go for hours and hours with the radiator clogged and smashed revving in deep mudholes, how can you expect any bike to last forever?

so I guess you agree with me huh? 250f's can't take the stress of prolonged competiton. Let's see sweden huh? you race MX at the local track maybe three months a year when not to cold you race twice a month so you put four hours a season on your bike. We race ten months a year. Three races a month seven hours plus per month so 80 + hours per season. Lol you have no time on your unit sorry. Tell me how long they last when your team has 5-6 bikes out racing and you pull the turn around maintance on all of them. Heck I bet you never race in 100 deg plus temps or cross any swollen streams. just another hobby rider claiming to have more experince on this stuff than folks who really tear up the tracks.

Hey gruberyz, i bet you really get mad then when someone rolls up in a car and trailer and kicks your "teams" ass then huh? LOL. Seriously dude, im sick and tired of you acting like the only "real" racers are ones that have some big assed trailer. Ive seen this attitude from you in numerous post and really it just proves my viewpoint of loving the sport. But hating about 80 percent of the people that participate in it because they think that they are some "real" rider or whatever attitude they have. Go pound sand.

I didn't want this to be a hate thread...easy now, and I think I'm just gonna stick with my smokers, but thank all y'all for your time.

so I guess you agree with me huh? 250f's can't take the stress of prolonged competiton. Let's see sweden huh? you race MX at the local track maybe three months a year when not to cold you race twice a month so you put four hours a season on your bike. We race ten months a year. Three races a month seven hours plus per month so 80 + hours per season. Lol you have no time on your unit sorry. Tell me how long they last when your team has 5-6 bikes out racing and you pull the turn around maintance on all of them. Heck I bet you never race in 100 deg plus temps or cross any swollen streams. just another hobby rider claiming to have more experince on this stuff than folks who really tear up the tracks.

Gruberyz, I take it by your username that you like Yamaha´s. Why aren´t you still on them? Could they not take the tremendous abuse your "race team" puts on them?

And what type of "race team" would say this stuff about themself and their bikes? Hardly a serious one. Complaining about maintenance on a team that has 6 bikes in rotation lol. That must mean you have several riders and mechanics, especially if going to that many races. That means sponsorship deals. That means that you earn money doing what other people (me) pay for to be able to do.

And your claim that my bike only runs four hours a season is just plain silly.

The only truth in your post is that Sweden is cold parts of the year, but we ride/race MX 7-8 months a season. Many people (but not me) race all year round, in the winter with studded tires.

You are probably too self centered to read what other people have to say, but in my first response in this thread I said my bike has 80 troublefree hours.

Well, I guess your take on this is that I don´t ride hard enough to please you. But hey, If you claim to be faster than everyone else, so can I. You have never met me, so I can´t understand what your whole attitude comes from? It must be insecurity.

Although when a beginning rider asks what bike to get, he deserves to be informed both about the good and the bad. But your input is hardly worth anything to the original poster. You have now, on the other hand, turned him off from getting a fun and reliable bike, so I guess you´re happy. Good for you, you got what you set out to do.

I have seen some of your other posts, and they are always harsh, rude and insulting. I bet you have no friends. I have many fyi.

Good luck here on TT, you are welcome to post in any other forum, but you can please stop posting in this section. We like to help each other here, not just put people and products down.

im curious as to what kind of maintanence is being done prior to the piston changes this guy is doin? something must not being done right if you're having to do the piston and the head everytime. I've changed many a pistons in the two kawis I've owned and never once had to redo a head.

im curious as to what kind of maintanence is being done prior to the piston changes this guy is doin? something must not being done right if you're having to do the piston and the head everytime. I've changed many a pistons in the two kawis I've owned and never once had to redo a head.

Well if you were running 100 hour enduros, or harescrambles like that guy, you'd be getting the head redone half-way through the race. :thumbsup: