84 XL350 speedometer question

Please read the whole post to understand.

The forks on my 84 XL250r are bent slightly, either the tubes themselves or the trees but the wheel is slightly aimed to the right with the upper tree is facing straight. I could replace the forks or trees, or...

I've done some research and apparently the trees from an 85 xr600r can be used with the frame of my XL250, so that means i could swap the trees and forks from the xr600 over to my bike. Bigger forks, disc brakes. I dont have the wheel for the 600 but according to several local honda shops the XL350 front wheel uses the same brake disc as the xr600 so i could use an XL350 front wheel and XL350 front brake setup.

The one problem... No one was able to tell me how the speedometer is driven on the XL350(wheel is off an 84). So at this point im not sure i would keep the use of my speedometer if i did this swap.

Does anyone know how the speedometer is driven on an 84 XL350? and will the cable and speedo from my XL250 work with its setup?

Does anyone know how the speedometer is driven on an 84 XL350? and will the cable and speedo from my XL250 work with its setup?

All XRs (250-up) from 81 up have the same drive. They use an external odo drive on the right side. Most if not all are for 15 mm axel, but some of the late 600s may have used 17 mm axel, can't remember. The old small 15 mm axel was easy to bend. I used to sell enduro kits for new 17 mm CRs with new wheel bearings, 15 mm Axel, and sleeve to make axel head fit the right fork leg.

All Jap ODOs interchange, they are all 2240 turns per mile. Cables are all same on top but lots of different bottoms.

I still have 3 85 XR electronic ODOs and use on on my CRF230 with the same old XR drive.

okay well that answers the XR's but what about the XL? the speedo drive on my 84 XL250 is integrated into the brake drum on the front. I found a flaw in my own logic, of course if mine is drum and the speedo drives off the drum, and the XL350 front wheel i need to use is disc, it cant possibly have the same style speedo drive.

But by what you are saying is if i obtain the entire front end setup from another bike, including the external drive, i could just get the matching cable and it would work with my speedo?

Alright problem solved. ill be picking up the complete front end from an XL350 soon including the speedo drive.

Alright problem solved. ill be picking up the complete front end from an XL350 soon including the speedo drive.

Why don't you get XR stuff and upgrade the suspension while you're at it??

I have a complete 85 XR350 front end. Forks just got new seals last summer, they are in great shape, straight and smooth.

Triples/forks - $100 + shipping

Front wheel with rotor $100 + shipping.

Buy em both and I'll throw in the speedo cable and a new front axle.

Both brand new still in packaging. :thumbsup:

PM sent

I found a flaw in my own logic, of course if mine is drum and the speedo drives off the drum, and the XL350 front wheel i need to use is disc, it cant possibly have the same style speedo drive.

including the external drive, i could just get the matching cable and it would work with my speedo?

All Hondas with drum brake had odo drive integrated in the backing plate. Also I am sure the bottom end of cable is the same for either. With Honda Length is the only option and it is dependent on travel, routing, etc.

In the old days when dealers stocked parts it was easy, you just went to his rack and picked one the right length. Now you have to order so you must know what model will work for you.

Thats exactly the problem i'm running into. It seems like now if your bike is more than 4 years old the parts have to be ordered, and if its more than 15 years old they have stopped making the parts.

Hopefully i can figure something out. I've got about 30 days of downtime until the new title comes in so i cant register or ride it yet(on-road at least).

Thanks for the tip on the cables.

go here http://www.servicehonda.com/ and look up the part number for your bike and then look at other later year bikes for the same part. They sometimes change the last 3 letters/numbers but often the part is still the same or can work with minor mods, filing or such.

Most things like this (not model specific) work.

I've run a 2004 CRF250 exhaust on my 85 XR350 with very minor mods. (inch and a half cut off the midpipe and the end reflared, $10 at muffler shop)

That's the bike the front end parts are from, CR125 front end on it now.

DSC00085.jpg

Nice.

Im trying to get the guy to come buy this damned big bear in the morning so hopefully i will have the money soon.