Sign in to follow this  

factory bikes for sale ?

is there a place to buy factory race bikes .. maybe not canards or reeds but some of the older privateer ...any 2-strokes ..or even a web site to look at the for ideas ?...maybe drool a little

Sure, usually the sponsoring dealer unloads last years bikes.

Almost all of last year's stuff gets sold off. Often, because the 'fame' associated with it, the selling dealer gets way more than the bike is worth, often enough to buy the next latest and greatest and still make a profit. Do not expect to get any super secret parts. Not uncommon for the good stuff to be removed if it is still serviceable and the original OEM parts put in their place.

My dad got a factory Yamaha a couple of years ago. Had some cool extras on it and some bling type parts but most of the extra good stuff people hope for are gone. To be honest the bike was beat more than it initially looked he only kept it a year.

thanks !

whats the best place to find GOOD used bikes ? i don't trust dealers around here and can't afford a new bike

thanks !

whats the best place to find GOOD used bikes ? i don't trust dealers around here and can't afford a new bike

Craigslist

butlerbrothersmx sell their bikes at the end of the year and will revalve the suspension for your weight/ability.

if you are fast enough to out ride a stocker, you likely know how to make the necesary mods. buying a fast bike and being fast are not the same.....you may end up with more headaches then blessings.

its not a fast thing for me i was just curious if they sold them and were ? like what did honda do with all shorts 450's when he went to KTM ? dose he keep em

its not a fast thing for me i was just curious if they sold them and were ? like what did honda do with all shorts 450's when he went to KTM ? dose he keep em

True factory MX/SX bikes like that don't get sold. Either the corporation keeps them, or they get destroyed.

Or they get parted out and all the good stuff is gone. People aren't going to get things that are made only by the factories.

Or they get parted out and all the good stuff is gone. People aren't going to get things that are made only by the factories.

damn ! i was kinda dreaming about getting a factory CRF250R and throwing my 01cr250 motor in the chassis... for the frame a suspension mods but a plan cr250 will do

Honda disassembles their factory bikes and keeps the parts in a big warehouse. They have almost every part from every factory bike they have ever raced still. This is how they pieced together a factory CR125 for Steve Lamson to race a few years ago, they said the motor and exhaust were actually from one of his old factory race bikes from the late 90's.

As far as privateer bikes, you see them for sale from time to time. Pro Circuit sells some of their bikes at the end of the year, as does Star Yamaha, Butler Brothers, and Rock River Racing. You see them up for sale on ebay from time to time as well. Typically the really cool goodies are swapped out before they are sold.

damn ! i was kinda dreaming about getting a factory CRF250R and throwing my 01cr250 motor in the chassis... for the frame a suspension mods but a plan cr250 will do

The suspension is the 1 thing you definitely won't get!

i figured it was a long shot and never thought about what happens to the bikes after the season as each racer has 3 bikes and 9 motors and dozens of suspension set ups on most factory teams and maybe 1/2 that on the privateer what happens to all that gear ?

i figured it was a long shot and never thought about what happens to the bikes after the season as each racer has 3 bikes and 9 motors and dozens of suspension set ups on most factory teams and maybe 1/2 that on the privateer what happens to all that gear ?

The really good stuff, i.e. the suspension, doesn't go out to the public. Occasionally, the "kit" suspension used in the Lights class does get out on the market after the season. Actually, if you have an AMA Pro license, you can buy it too. The rest of the stuff that that privateers use you can buy already if you have deep enough pockets. True factory suspension as used in the 450 class is probably never even owned by the team, Showa and KYB more than likely provide it free or lease it to the team along with technical help. When the season is over, that goes back to the supplier. Outside of the suspension, even the factory 450's aren't really that special. There's only so much you can do with cams and the rotating assembly per the rules, and that's not black magic.

The really good stuff, i.e. the suspension, doesn't go out to the public. Occasionally, the "kit" suspension used in the Lights class does get out on the market after the season. Actually, if you have an AMA Pro license, you can buy it too. The rest of the stuff that that privateers use you can buy already if you have deep enough pockets. True factory suspension as used in the 450 class is probably never even owned by the team, Showa and KYB more than likely provide it free or lease it to the team along with technical help. When the season is over, that goes back to the supplier. Outside of the suspension, even the factory 450's aren't really that special. There's only so much you can do with cams and the rotating assembly per the rules, and that's not black magic.

I have always wondered about this being a business major in college right now . I kinda figured some of the stuff had to be leased based on the fact that showa/kyb or who ever has to be cost efficient and just giving $10,000's of dollars of gear and services and research development and tuning or destroying it just didn't make seem like they would do that.

...granted the parts that get the piss beat out of them ( frames, swing arms clamps ect.) get trashed when their unridable

:thumbsup: Yep you are dead on. all you need is deep pockets and a mechanic that knows how to build a 450/250 to the engines max capacity. the suspension the best you are going to get is the works/kit. enzo for yamaha is the closest you will get to factory. since rossi does extensive testing with KYB factory. The down side to a true race bike is the longevity of the motor. they are not built to last for 100 hrs they are built for a few motos then they are rebuilt.