Sign in to follow this  

Give me a brake!

OK sorry for the bad pun :thumbsup:

Anywho, I just got my sm a few days ago (used 09 drz400sm), and I'm finding myself not likeing the brakes very much. I'm thinking Stainless lines, new pads and a fluid change are in order. It has the 310mm rotor from the factory and its in pretty good shape, so I dont think I'll replace it yet.

So what brands do you 'tarders like for the lines and pads?

Thanks,

Dan

Never heard of an issue with a particular brake line so any should be fine. I really like the Venhill lines I have on my bike.

For pads stock seem to be better or as good as any other.

^^^ What he said.

Is the brake spongy? You may just need to flush and bleed the brake fluid.

Congrats on the purchase.

Steve

^^^ What he said.

Is the brake spongy? You may just need to flush and bleed the brake fluid.

Congrats on the purchase.

Steve

No not spongy, just not much "feel" and they require too much effort. I think the lines will help with the feel, as I can see the stock rubber line move when I hit the front brake. I'm hoping some new pads will give me some more bite.

Go with a Stainless brake line andf you will feel the difference :worthy: I myself run the Braking front rotor (310) with Gafler SS line and EBC Pro Extreme pads and it works great :thumbsup:

Oh and I also run the Dot 4 brake fluid :confused:

Go with a Stainless brake line andf you will feel the difference :worthy: I myself run the Braking front rotor (310) with Gafler SS line and EBC Pro Extreme pads and it works great :thumbsup:

Oh and I also run the Dot 4 brake fluid :confused:

Thanks debi, are the EBC pads ok for street riding? I have had good luck with EBC "green stuff" and "red stuff" pads im my sports cars but on this bike I dont want to have to worry about warming up the brakes. I'd like them to not overheat on the track either.

For those of you recomending OEM pads, have you tried aftermarket pads?

Thanks everyone

-Dan

I'm goona add another question. What brake fuild are you guys using? Is any dot 4 or better good enough?

I found a big difference in feel using a HEL stainless brake line with the standard 310mm rotor and OEM pads. Even tried a few stoppies!:worthy:

I am using Belray dot 5 fluid because my previous bikes (Ducati) always seemed to weep dot 4 fluid from the clutch slave cylinder. Changing fluid from 4 to 5 solved it so I figured it must be better. :thumbsup:

Now waiting for the shorty levers coz I don't use as many fingers to brake now.......:confused:

Motul RBF 600 Dot 4. I've cooked the dot 4 that came in the drz and the dot 5.1 I switched to... Trying the Motul 600 now. :thumbsup:

I just ordered some new lines from HEL. http://helusa.com/ Good prices too.

Hopefully the lines and some new fluid will solve my problem. I'll post up a review of them once the get here.

-Dan

Thanks debi, are the EBC pads ok for street riding? I have had good luck with EBC "green stuff" and "red stuff" pads im my sports cars but on this bike I dont want to have to worry about warming up the brakes. I'd like them to not overheat on the track either.

For those of you recomending OEM pads, have you tried aftermarket pads?

Thanks everyone

-Dan

I found the OEM pads after 7 laps had a ton of FADE when they got hot :smirk: The EBC's I am running have done fine on the streets :thumbsup:

I do a couple quick brake pulls when leaving and they are fine even in 30 degree's :moon: But the Rotor is a big difference IMHO going from OEM to the Braking 310mm rotor even with OEM pads but still the OEM on the track just don't like that kind of heat :confused:

Hope this helps :busted:

BTW... if you show up tomorrow at PGP your more than welcome to try my bike out and feel the brakes :worthy:

P.S.

I just had the front tube replaced on my race wheel and well lets just say the brakes worked so well that the tire twisted on the wheel and tore the tube :p

I found the OEM pads after 7 laps had a ton of FADE when they got hot :smirk: The EBC's I am running have done fine on the streets :thumbsup:

I do a couple quick brake pulls when leaving and they are fine even in 30 degree's :p But the Rotor is a big difference IMHO going from OEM to the Braking 310mm rotor even with OEM pads but still the OEM on the track just don't like that kind of heat :confused:

Hope this helps :busted:

BTW... if you show up tomorrow at PGP your more than welcome to try my bike out and feel the brakes :worthy:

P.S.

I just had the front tube replaced on my race wheel and well lets just say the brakes worked so well that the tire twisted on the wheel and tore the tube ;)

Thx debi, PGP is a bit far for me but I may show up anyway , I race my drift car there so I suppose I should start sumoing there too :moon:

I just ordered some new lines from HEL. http://helusa.com/ Good prices too.

Hopefully the lines and some new fluid will solve my problem. I'll post up a review of them once the get here.

-Dan

I had the same issue with the front brake. I just swapped to a braided line, problem solved. Feels great!:thumbsup: Hardest thing is bleeding it.

Thx debi, PGP is a bit far for me but I may show up anyway , I race my drift car there so I suppose I should start sumoing there too :thumbsup:

Yes you should and for $25.00 you can rip up the track on my bike too:thumbsup:

BTW... which Drifter is you car ?? were you out there for the winter Motorsport series? you know.. the series that had Drifters, Karts and Sumo's :confused:

I just had the front tube replaced on my race wheel and well lets just say the brakes worked so well that the tire twisted on the wheel and tore the tube :thumbsup:

I was wondering about that, all the talk of the wider shorter 17" tires and bigger rotors, is anyone running bead locks on racing sumos?