Sign in to follow this  

Front forks

I have an 85,86,&87 xr 600. Just checked fork oil level on the 86. I took out spring, pushed tube all the way up and measured. Topped off so i had 117mm(4.6") from top of tube. Am i to high or to low or good there. Just a trail rider. There was one thick flat washer on top of spring then a 3" spacer with a smaller(2") inside the 3" spacer and two thin washers on top, then the cap. The manual does not show two spacers and only shows one top thin washer. The extra thin washer on top, is that something someone may have added to get a little more spring pressure or do they just put two on top?

I have an 85,86,&87 xr 600. Just checked fork oil level on the 86. I took out spring, pushed tube all the way up and measured. Topped off so i had 117mm(4.6") from top of tube. Am i to high or to low or good there. Just a trail rider. There was one thick flat washer on top of spring then a 3" spacer with a smaller(2") inside the 3" spacer and two thin washers on top, then the cap. The manual does not show two spacers and only shows one top thin washer. The extra thin washer on top, is that something someone may have added to get a little more spring pressure or do they just put two on top?

Some people cut the spring and add spacers to stiffen the suspension if i remember correctly.........usually because they are too cheap to buy springs for their weight...

B

Some people cut the spring and add spacers to stiffen the suspension if i remember correctly.........usually because they are too cheap to buy springs for their weight...

B

back in the 80's i used to use pvc spacers to adjust the sag for the forks by putting prelaod on the springs kinda like cranking down on the shock preload on the rear