Sign in to follow this  

2003 450 Engine Question

Ok Im working on my buddys bike and the weep hole on the side of the bike is leaking oil.

Whats the cause of that? My friend says its the head gasket but now I relize he doesnt know much about the engine.

So can someone explain why theres oil leaking out of the weep hole?

If youre talking about the hole in the side of the cylinder head, thats a drain and if there is oil coming from it, its probably got a leak in the valve cover thats leaking into the spark plug relief hole.

It's on the side of the cylinder head. I'll try to take a picture of it for you and upload it if I can figure out how ha.

If you are talking about the hole on the right side of the cylinder, it't the air blow-out hole. You are supposed use an air compressor and blow air inside the hole prior to loosening your spark plug. The hole blows the dirt and crap that has slipped past the plug wire cap and is resting on your plug. So, the oil is probably from blow-by along with a possible loose plug.

I think crf is on the right track. Gasket at the top of spark plug hole. When you put the valve cover on sometime the rubber gasket dose not get setted around the tower right.

if it leaks oil that means ur water pump shaft is bad. if it leaks coolant that means ur water pump seal is bad.

i don't think oil won't leak out of the weep hole if the oil seal is bad, it would simply leak into the coolant. THe weep hole is on the other side of the water pump seal..