2 questions guys RE.. KX100

I just bought a 2011 KX100 for my son and we just got new bars today and I am trying to remove the grip and it will not come off. I have done this a million times, but this one is not coming off. It is like it is melted on. I have been using a razor blade and still to no avail, it will not come off. Anyone run into this with a factory grip.

Also I just installed a V Force3 Reed kit on his other bike. I want to take that off and put it on the the new KX. Will it fit? I am not sure if these are universal or not? Does one VForce3 reed kit fit all bikes or does it have to be for a KX only? Sorry for noob questions, but I want to be sure before I pull that carb off and remove the VForce. Thanks again

All factory Kawasaki grips are vulcanized onto the bar. Definitely not fun trying to get it off. Just try to pull off big chunks, rather than tear off little bits. No one really has found a good technique for getting them off.

I'm almost 100% sure that you will need a new V-Force 3 reed kit, unless it came off of another KX100.

All factory Kawasaki grips are vulcanized onto the bar. Definitely not fun trying to get it off. Just try to pull off big chunks, rather than tear off little bits. No one really has found a good technique for getting them off.

I'm almost 100% sure that you will need a new V-Force 3 reed kit, unless it came off of another KX100.

Thanks for the info. This grip sucks man! I think I am just going to go tomorrow and get billet grip. This is hopeless!

Cut it off with a really sharp knife or razor blade. (Not that tough)

:thumbsup: good joke man!

You obviously have never tried to take off a stock Kawasaki grip before.

On KX100's and 85's I just buy a motion pro throttle tube 9.99 and your done.

Yep...made the same mistake on my daughter's '09 KX100...thought it would take me about 10 mins to remove......spent about 2 hours. Either buy the OEM throttle tube or and aftermarket throttle tube. It's worth the $10 of avoided aggravation.

I figured the kid who owned previously superglued it but came to find out that is what Kawi does with their grips on the KX100.

Yeah, on my friends 2011 KX 85, he tried EVERYTHING to take off

the grips but from what I hear (ChaseMotox63), they are vulcanized

which I can prove because I did some "Googling" after reading that.

Good idea getting the new billet grips. And also, unless the V-Force reeds

are coming off a KX 85 / KX 100, you're going to need a new kit, sorry :/

Could you melt them off? I know not many people have a blow torch readily available and it semi dangerous with fumes and all. Would that affect the structural integrity of the bars? If no, ild try that. Unless the throttle is plastic, maybe not then

Jayde....you cant melt them off because you will melt the underlying plastic throttle tube.

If you look at the OEM diagrams for the KX100, Kawasaki only sells a plastic throttle tube with the grip already bonded to it (not two separate parts). Hence the reason that people are recommending an aftermarket throttle tube

Jayde....you cant melt them off because you will melt the underlying plastic throttle tube.

If you look at the OEM diagrams for the KX100, Kawasaki only sells a plastic throttle tube with the grip already bonded to it (not two separate parts). Hence the reason that people are recommending an aftermarket throttle tube

yeah cool. dumb idea anyway. This must only be the KX's because I dont remember having trouble getting the grips off my KLX :thumbsup:

yeah cool. dumb idea anyway. This must only be the KX's because I dont remember having trouble getting the grips off my KLX :thumbsup:

well buying a new throttle tube is small price to pay not to be on a KLX:smirk:

well buying a new throttle tube is small price to pay not to be on a KLX:smirk:

Dont you just wish you could bitch slap someone through your computer every now and then :thumbsup:

LOl :thumbsup:

Sorry, but it is not that easy! This thing is welded on. As most suggested, I just ordered a new throttle, the only problem is we are racing in two days and I need this part now! Luckily a parts guy races in our circuit and he is bringing the throttle tube to the track! I will have all night to get it on since we camp out for the weekend at the track.

I have put on many, many grips and never seen this? I really see no way of removing this grip at all. This would take hours and getting a OEM or aftermarket throttle tube is the way to go for a KX100. Someone mentioned melting it off, but the throttle tube is made of plastic and would melt, so not an option, but a good thought. If it were made of metal, I would be out there right now blow torching it off!

I am very familiar with getting the grip off, as I have had three new KX's.

I am serious... take a razor knife and start peeling it. (like its a potato) The remainder can actually be sanded off, or even wire wheeled off.

But, if it looks like to much work... buy a new throttle tube.