What options to clean up stock rear end without sprining for the edge?

So... I am broke after buying the bike but that rear tail section has GOT TO GO! I have thought about just cutting the reflector off for now but if there is an affordable option I would rather just replace the whole thing.

I have seen some threads for cheaper kits from ebay... I dont mind splicing the wires in myself to save some money as I have a soldering iron and plenty of heat shrink.

Does someone make a universal type tail/plate bracket that you could just bolt various lights to? I am not decided on the turn signals yet... I dont mind how the stockers look and its nice they are very visible.

Thanks in advance

I did this before changing it out. Held me over till I got my Edge.

100_0177.jpg

Just take it apart and put it together without the extension and seal up the gaps with silicone.Then cut off everything that hangs below the plate.

I have the edge + tail light controller with integrated blinkers.

I bought these smoked indicators below as well, but I am not using them and haven't even taken them out of their packaging, so I'll let it go for $20 excl p&p if anyone is interested. I got them from wheeling cycles for $43.

tQx6h%40H8AAAEAAEjVYUoAAAAA-79194.jpg

Z1Krob, that looks pretty sweet gonna have to do that till i can afford the edge... what did you put for a bag?

It's a small Oxford tankbag I had kicking around. I just took the magnets out and poked holes in it for the tool tray screws to go through.

Take a look at page 698 of the What I did to my DRZ today thread and scroll down and take a look at what you can do with some creative cutting of the stock tail light and fender mount. I used the tabs on the fender along with the tab portion of the black under fender piece for the turn signal mounts and minimized all the mounts but still retained the molded in bracing.

All this talk about the "Edge" and no link to it. Can someone send me a link of this product? I just bought a DRZ 400S and can't stand the way my rear end looks either lol. I'm basically looking for a more compact rear end with a clear colored LED tail light.

Is this the tusk kit?

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=88&navTitle=ATV+Parts&webCatId=24&keyword=tusk+light&prodFamilyId=25859

How do stock turn signals look with it? The turn signals dont seem to be that big of a deal, stock but that is probably because your eyes are on that HUGE stock tail section. Do the stock turn signals looks goofy with the smaller tail light like the tusk?

Save your bucks and get the Edge with the 12O'Clock integrated turn signal board. I got them and love it. Cleaned the tail section up nicely. Until I was able to fork over the bucks I pruned the rear fender severely.

I trimmed as high as possible(to just above the plastic plate mount) and then drilled two new holes and installed the steel plate bracket upside down. A very close to the light fit and the plate is at a sportier angle than just putting it on the plastic bracket.

2011_03_30Pictures007.jpg

2011_03_30Pictures009.jpg