Sign in to follow this  

motor wont run

i bought a 03 rancher 350 (not running) rebuilt the top end, cleaned the carb (really dirty), got MOST of the old gas out of the tank, tried to crank it and it will fire but it will not stay running. if i hold down the starter it will fire every 1/4 second or so but will not ilde worth a flip regardless of if i give it gas or choke it or not. it shoots air out of the snorkel after it fires, which seemes weird to me. another thing is it doesnt have the hose clamp where the carb connect to the motor.

what am i supposed to check? it doesnt have a chain just pushrods. so do i just need to adjust the valves or is there something in the bottom end that might be screwed up?

no cam just pushrods and rocker arms

lol it does have a cam. the cam chain is on the back of the engine behind the stator.

what kind of idiot puts the freakin cam in the bottom end? so now i gotta take the whole motor off, get through the clutch, and then i get to the cam? :thumbsup::cry:

what kind of idiot puts the freakin cam in the bottom end? so now i gotta take the whole motor off, get through the clutch, and then i get to the cam? :thumbsup::cry:

it's been a decade since i have messed with a rancher (or any utility quad really) so i don't remember the exact steps of disassembly, but yes you will have to pull the engine, it's not really difficult.

on the plus side, they are really good engines.

Check you valve clearances first. a tight intake could do it too. Easy to check before you rip it down.

Check you valve clearances first. a tight intake could do it too. Easy to check before you rip it down.

lol true. don't tear it apart yet, just because it might be out of time.

This is a good point. I am sure you know this, but do all the easy stuff first.

lol true. don't tear it apart yet, just because it might be out of time.

the exhaust was so loose it didnt push it down hardly at all, the intake was a little tight:thumbsup: runs fine now. well except for the smoking. which might be due to the rat nest that caught on fire in the silencer:smirk: