Same Price: Gas Gas EC200 or YZ250

I'm looking at 2 bikes locally both are $2300 obo. Which bike would you buy and why?

2002 Gas Gas EC200 it has a scotts steering stabilizer but everything else is stock. Top end was done 2 seasons ago. The original owner only rode the bike once the second owner has been riding it for the last 2 years

2005 YZ250 it has a fmf pipe and the top end was done 10 hours ago.

Both bikes are clean and seem to be well taken care of.

Price out a piston, rings, wristpin, gaskets, and levers then decide.

I've always heard great things about gas gas. That stabilizer is 350 bucks right there. The top end will probally need to be redone again though.

The yz should have at least another 50 hours of ride time left before a new top end. The pipe combo is probally around a 350 buck value depending on the exact pipe.

Top ends on 2 smokes are easy two do and fairly cheap too so I would look most at your riding style. The gas gas is geared more towards the woods and is easier to ride. The yz250 is geared for the track but with a flywheel weight i makes an awesome woods bike. PLENTY of power. I'm very satisfied with mine in the woods.

check the piston through Wiseco by size because there is a Polaris 600 triple piston that works and is less expensive. Also try GoFasters.com for gaskets I found when I had my Gasser they always had the best prices.

price seems high for an 02 gas gas. Then again, used 2 strokes are bringing in the bucks right now.

And that's not a bad price on that YZ either. '05 is the first year of the aluminum frame versions. One on CL here with a pipe and few bling mods for $2750.

Limited, hard to get, and long waits for ordered parts for the GG would be my main concern with it.

GasGas is a good bike. Unfortunately they don't sell well on used market. Factor that into decision. What I'm saying is that price should come down on GG so you don't take big loss trying to sell. Not that dirt bikes hold value much.

After you price out a new top end and levers for the GG the YZ will look much better.

go check out gasgasriders.org before you believe too much of the hoopla on here they have a parts cross-over page.

YZ250, bigger community of riders to share your problems that you "might" run into.

the yz is a sweet bike get it and you wont regret it!

I'm looking at 2 bikes locally both are $2300 obo. Which bike would you buy and why?

2002 Gas Gas EC200 it has a scotts steering stabilizer but everything else is stock. Top end was done 2 seasons ago. The original owner only rode the bike once the second owner has been riding it for the last 2 years

2005 YZ250 it has a fmf pipe and the top end was done 10 hours ago.

Both bikes are clean and seem to be well taken care of.

You don't say what you do. You don't say if you want to race mx or just to trail ride...etc. Both are great to me. I am a trail rider first and like the quality of a gasgas so I am going that way first. If I was an mx guy I would go yammie first. The scotts damper is a great reason to buy the gasgas. I also like stainless steel spokes....I'd go gasgas.

I think you need to decide if you want a 200 or a 250 more so than if you want the gas gas or yami.

How many hours is a gasgas top end good for?

not sure on hours but I raced mine for 6 years sold it and the second owner still has not cracked it open clutch is still good also

GasGas are great bikes, Just went from 03 YZ250 to 07 GasGas EC300. That price is too high on the gasgas, the yz is a better buy. I got my 07 for $2500 in pretty good shape. I ride mostly trails and plan to start racing enduro and awrcs , Probably B class, and I have to say the GasGas is a better bike for this type of racing. Look for a cheaper or newer gasgas for woods, or just get the YZ if you want a bike right now just to blast around or race motocross.

I would much rather have the gasgas for the riding I do, but not at that price

As a owner of European bikes. The YZ will be much cheaper & easier to own. The cost and parts will save you tons of headache. Unless you love Gasgas and dont mind the trouble.

To the guy above. Atleast with GasGas parts cost and availabilty is not a problem. My gasgas dealer has way more parts in stock then the local yamaha dealer had for my bike. Also the prices are about the same if not cheaper for the GasGas. If I dont feel like making the 45 min drive he ships them to me next day for a couple bucks. There are many dealers that ship accross the US and Gofasters.com also has everything available online. Even my riding buddies cant believe how fast I get parts, or the prices i get...better then KTM. Also many common things such as brake pads are the the same as other bikes(honda cr250). So i can get stuff like that anywhere I go.

Both bikes are top notch, but consider the fact that the YZ has far more local support (Yamaha dealers for parts) and aftermarket support/products. So unless you have a GasGas dealer near you, I'd go for the Yamaha.

Another thing to consider is that the Yamaha will sell faster if you decide to change bikes or be accepted as a trade - in both cases, the YZ will net you a little bit more cash in the end.